Ash's K1

Deleted member 103408

What power level do you have to start doing forged internals on the MK2.

I know the MK1 is around the 300 lbs of torque mark when you start bending con rods

I think the MK3 is around 450 lbs

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
What power level do you have to start doing forged internals on the MK2.

I know the MK1 is around the 300 lbs of torque mark when you start bending con rods

I think the MK3 is around 450 lbs

I'm currently at 340lbs. Stage 3 is 400lbs ish. Revo recommend to upgrade internals at the top end (400). So it's a choice of is it worth the turbo, etc to limit it on stock engine (and limit it to what). Or pay a shed load more money for rods n pistons.

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
I dont think i will ever go down the forge route haha fair play if you do legojon .
flikr is shocking for bluring things out i wish i had photoshop still to blur things neatly .

Untitled by Ashley Hanson, on Flickr

going back to the thermostat id highly recommend taking the alternator out it makes it so much easier gives you loads more room to work with
that same weekend i replaced the cat back part of the exhaust for a miltek system non res

the miltek systems are really nice but do check if buying second hand for rust and seized adjuster nuts 3 out of 8 were stuck on mine preventing me to adjust the system fitment properly .the sound though just for a catback system was actually pretty loud

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
One of the following weeks i thought it be best to get the car fully serviced ready for when i decide to get the car in for mapping .

fuel filter (word of warning very gentle with the clips being too harsh can damage them and make it a pain to remove)

as you can see it was due a change notice the colour of the old fuel

after doing the service i went online to search for the best place to take the k1 for a remap ,my options were
revo daventry
jabba sport (10 minute walk from me literally )
rtech performance

looking at reviews and knowing of rtechs work it wasn't a hard decision at all to be honest even though jabba are round the corner from me it seemed silly at the time
doing my research on what rtech are all about made me realise your car has to be spot on to get mapped there with the pre map health check they do
so knowing this i replaced
pcv valve+gasket (r revision)
revision G dv - doing a bit of research this valve seems to be the best in the long run
5w40 oil recommend when going for bigger power

once id fitted all the above tested things out it was back to the drawing board with the engine squeak on idle especally when cold
parts replace
aux belt
aux tensioner
still the noise was there

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
The whole of the next week i was searching the forums for some sort of idea on other owners problems they have had relating to squeaking .
most were pointing towards the auxiliary parts id already changed so this was getting on my nerves not knowing what else it could possibly be until i stumbled across a post stating that the cam belt rollers were chirping on the owners car.
due to the cars mileage i thought it would be best to change the timing belt with a kit anyway . so from then on i found a facebook vag parts company that sells genuine bits a very decent prices (they even put a bag of sweets in with every order) how cool is that .
cheeky wash

genuine cambelt kit (missing the sweets that immediately got eaten)

after fitting the cam-belt the noise on start up and any squeaks had disappeared even on start up
so now the essentials were sorted it was time to save a bit and get modding .

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
if you like i can blur pics for you. i can add you to a dropbox/onedrive/gdrive folder and just blur them. it takes longer to open photoshop than it does to blur + save the file

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
if you like i can blur pics for you. i can add you to a dropbox/onedrive/gdrive folder and just blur them. it takes longer to open photoshop than it does to blur + save the file

thanks mate ive figured out how to do it now :D its not perfect but does make the plate not seen , what software do you use ?

Last edited:

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
Next on my list was to get the car remapped but i forgot one vital thing before hand the pickup pipe and sump clean !

One great bit of kit to help with the bolts that are slightly hidden and a pain to get to next to the bell housing
long ball ended hex keys did the job excellently and cut the removal time in half

when i got home that day my mtc oversized inake system arrived in the post including a black forge dv pipe and a huge ram air filter

Reactions: kanyewest

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
After what seemed like the longest few months of my life it was finally nearly time to go to rtech but first i had a week away at centre parcs
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158705908@N03/,
whilst being there i woke up with chronic tooth ache one morning literally the worst i have ever experienced it really put a downer on my week away also knowing i am having the car remapped the day after i get back .

I was booked in at r-tech for 8:30 that Saturday morning i was buzzing but in intense pain so i took a few painkillers and hoped it wasn't going to ruin this day that i have been so excited for .
ill say this with confidence anyone wondering if they should get there car remapped do it ! the car was totally transformed i mean the car wasn't slow before but since having the map the boost comes in so smoothly and just keeps on pulling zero flat spots just constant power
she made just under 310 bhp but wanted to make 336 bhp although due to having the standard down pipe still fitted that was holding back some horses (miltek downpipe already being searched at this point)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158705908@N03/
niki told me the car performed well he also added the 5 stage maps so i could adjust the power settings
plus hard cut limiter (which is totally addictive)

Deleted member 103408

She is looking good, just remember to get you oil changes in a bit more often to keep her in tip top condition.

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
Soon after the remap it was mot time but before that i wanted to source a miltek sports cat and pray the mot tester at my work is feeling friendly
i haven't got any pictures of the exhaust parts but when brought it i also purchased
genuine downpipe gasket
studs x4
nuts x4 just to be on the safe side in case i round or snap the studs off
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158705908@N03/,

the whole job probably took just over an hour and a half a lot easier than the s3 8p no prop-shaft or transfer box in the way
i recommend soaking the down-pipe nuts in penetrating fluid the night before or a few hours before tackling the job also the o2 sensors they can be a pain i was lucky both mine came off relatively easy.
once the down-pipe was on the difference in tone and low down responsiveness was instantly felt the sound changed from a boom to a throaty roar similar to the astra vxr's (i dont like them just the noise) , hard cut limiter was now sounding like a cannon firing

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
Mot time was just days away , i thought it would be best to check everything underneath the car as best i could
unfortunately i found a few problems
cv boot drivers side coming off the joint grease everywhere
cv boot passenger side doing the same no grease though
cv joint passenger side didnt sound healthy
passenger side drop-link boot split
front tyres getting on the low side

So off to ecp to purchase a cv joint kit for the passenger side , cv boot for drivers and front drop-links
the cv joint was full of dirty grease
i decided to re grease the drivers side cv joint as well taking it apart and re packing with fresh grease

and onto the drop links well one had a fight with the grinder after 20 minutes on and off it was finally removed

These jobs took most of the day so whilst having a little break it went about searching for some lowering springs
options for me where
eibach - looked a nice ride height
vw racing - not overly low but well priced for the quality
h&r - a tad low and few of my friends have reported the powder coat to not last long

so i went for some vw racing springs due to there slightly lower stance than standard coupled with the best ride comfort

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
MOT day soon came she passed with just the front tyres as a advisory i was well pleased !

Only my car melted the emissions testing filter :scary:woops !

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Off road mode haha always a scary time wondering if the car will pass having a turbo back exhaust , the car only just scrapped through emissions wise
Did you go for the 200 cell cat or 100? I assume you also went in with a hot exhaust hence the melting lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.