Ashtray won't Close!!

d.e.hill

The lower-down ashtray on my 2000 tolly is broke! It's the one below the radio where the 12V socket is.

The spring that pushes it down is working fine, but the catch that holds it at the top is broke! So it's always open!

Anyone suffered the same problem or any idea of how to go about fixing it? Or anyone know how to remove that bit of the dash so I can work it out?

Any help you could give me would be much apppreciated before I turn to gaffertape!

Dave

Whoopty

Sorry for the slight thread revival, but I have this same problem. Anyone have a clue how to fix this? I've had a feel around but can't find or see anything that is wrong but it just isn't clipping back up.

d.e.hill

Hi,
I finally figured out what was wrong with mine, so I'll bet yours is the same...

If you look head on to the opened ashtray, you'lll see a screw with a Torx head (about T-20 if I remember correctly). Unscrew it, and the whole ashtray unit will pop out. You'll have to unplug the back of the lighter socket, by depressing a tab and pulling out the plug.

Now you've got your ashtray out, look at it from the top, and you should be able to see the problem (it's not that easy to describe, but I'll have a go).

There's a small vertical pin attached to the top of the moving bit of ashtray, at the back. It is this pin which slides into a keeper, and follows it around a sort of "track" and locks it in place. Then when it's pushed again, it completes this track, pops out, and the ashtray can be lowered. When you see it, you'll know what I mean. On mine, the little vertical pin had simply sheared off, but was still dangling.

Drop of araldite to hold the pin back in place, and Bob's your uncle.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

w3bb0

ash tray

hi if u ut your hand in were ash tray it and make sure clip is in middle then try closing it mine has always done it