At last cheap Cupra R brake discs!!!!

willbatch

Jul 19, 2006
Thought i'd post this as it is of much interest to all LCR owners, EBC are doing brake disc for the LCR and yes they are the right size 323mm and in stock in the UK, i've just ordered to from a very helpful company, www.brakes4u.co.uk on 0845 094 6461 and the price,

Standard disc, £63.39 inc VAT each
Drilled and slotted £94.12 inc VAT each

Free delivery as well.

Makes the price quoted to me at SEAT today £117 + vat each look a bit silly!!!!

Oh i have no relationship with any of the above companies, just wanted to pass on a good saving.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
firstly good find! :yes:

however...

i hope ur right re the size as it doesnt say what the size is here... http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/products.asp?cat=16028

i hope they are not 312mm! :rolleyes:

so assuming the discs are 323mm by 28mm its £188.24 for the front discs for an LCR

ok this is a fairly good price, BUT the turbo grove discs have warped sooo many times on my friends cars that i honestly wouldnt have the bottle to risk my money with ebc again! :( (the brembos would kill them?! :shrug: )

i have only ever tried their green stuff pads on a previous car and i thought they were dreadful too! :(

il be needing new discs and pads in jan/feb i think so il be looking around!

tbh im 99% certain il go for the highly reccommened ferrodo 2500 sport pads and id like to get some groved or drilled discs... prob go for OE brembo drilled ones from the TT shop or where ever!

Last edited:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
They should be the right size as i spoke to EBC allot a few months back whilst they were testing them. Gave up waiting in the end tho.

If they last ok they will be a good buy

willbatch

Jul 19, 2006
They are the right size confirmed by phone and with EBC usa, i've not messed around given all i wanted was cheaper disc's im not into cross drilled stuff looks to halford, i've paid £126.00 for two normal discs. That is just less than one for what seat quoted me!

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
I bought the rear 256mm discs from EBC and i wish i hadn't now. They look awful as they are made from the cheapest of metals and have a massive carbon content, so they rust like hell!

They'll look good for a couple of days until the rain gets to them, and then they'll just look rubbish!

I only have experience with their rear discs but if they're anything to go by, i wouldn't touch their fronts at all as no doubt they are made from the same **** metal the rears are made from!

Im going to put the standard rear discs back in place when i have some time!

A good find, but beware, you normally pay for what you get.:)

willbatch

Jul 19, 2006
I'm starting to wish i hadn't posted this, i'd rather have rusty disc's than be Sh@fted by fixed pricing. To be honest the brakes or my car are going to be for show, it wont see a track and those that justify the use of brembos by on road driving run the risk of a few penalty points!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
no one is having a go willbatch... we all appreciate this thread... its just as you can see a LOT of ppl have had bad experiences from EBC :(

maybe the OE style discs they do are better?! :shrug:

also MAYBE these new turbo groved discs are improved and dont rust or warp like the old ones, but im not going to be a guinie pig! ;) :whistle:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I have EBC on the rear of mine still and they don't look rusty at all .... ok i warped the fronts but that was my fault for driving like a loon.

I would have thought that for 'most' people it would be a good alternative to being robbed by main dealers. Certainly can't be any worse than those galfers that keep cropping up and they're more expensive.

I think it's a good find mate, more choice can't be a bad thing.

spikus1969

The EBc discs for this model are made from a much better casts than previous stocks i can confirm this as i have a set on mine been on for 3 months and look perfect i looked into this in depth when i was shopping around it would not suprise me if these are imported in from USA.Also most disc problems are caused by pad choice as i have found to my cost.you will find EBC pads/discs work well together as will Mintex pads/discs but when mixed that is when the problem seems to start.Also anyone who fits greens is a towny driver like the wife as that is what these pads were designed for.Our models need the redstuff or yellows the greens i had were poor on mine but on the wifes saxo they were sound and if you read about the greens they are for saxo's.puntos ect..
My brother has the EBC stuff from Brakes4u all round on his cupra(approx 6 months)they look the dogs nads and work so much better in performance
Hope this helps

paullec

Nov 15, 2006
Birmingham
Tarox do the g88 or whatever there called Still about £200 tho not sure if there any good. As for EBC from people i here the disc arnt that bad but the pads like to eat them lol

slimtater

Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
Good find! I will give them a try for the last few months that I intend to keep the car. I had the grooved discs and red pads all round on my Cosworth and they were very good. Also, they did not corrode as they had a coating on them.

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
I bought the rear 256mm discs from EBC and i wish i hadn't now. They look awful as they are made from the cheapest of metals and have a massive carbon content, so they rust like hell!

They'll look good for a couple of days until the rain gets to them, and then they'll just look rubbish!

I only have experience with their rear discs but if they're anything to go by, i wouldn't touch their fronts at all as no doubt they are made from the same **** metal the rears are made from!

Im going to put the standard rear discs back in place when i have some time!

A good find, but beware, you normally pay for what you get.:)

Sounds good to me. remember the originals are only that price because they have a captive audience! When competion arrives the prices will drop.
I don't agree about the carbon. Steel becomes more expensive and higher performance the more carbon is added (to a certain limit) and its is less likely to rust.
Stainless steel of course has chromium added to stop rusting and a high carbon content (discs are not stainless).

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
The EBc discs for this model are made from a much better casts than previous stocks i can confirm this as i have a set on mine been on for 3 months and look perfect i looked into this in depth when i was shopping around it would not suprise me if these are imported in from USA.Also most disc problems are caused by pad choice as i have found to my cost.you will find EBC pads/discs work well together as will Mintex pads/discs but when mixed that is when the problem seems to start.Also anyone who fits greens is a towny driver like the wife as that is what these pads were designed for.Our models need the redstuff or yellows the greens i had were poor on mine but on the wifes saxo they were sound and if you read about the greens they are for saxo's.puntos ect..My brother has the EBC stuff from Brakes4u all round on his cupra(approx 6 months)they look the dogs nads and work so much better in performance
Hope this helps

i had green stuff pads on a small hatch back (rover 114 GSi) about 5 years back... they were utter crap!

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
it would be good if there could be an ongoing report on these discs as i'd like to see how they stand up to slowing down a 1400kg car from high speeds. pootling around town then they should last the distance but i don't pootle in my car so it would be interesting to see if they do warp or not.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I agree with Karlos that some healthy competition for the Brembo disks would be nice, I heard Black Diamond also do a disk and again a comparison of all three would be great.

This forum relies on feedback positive and negative and that's what we need here.

I think I was one of the first trying Carbon Metallic pads here on an LCR and the performance was phenominal.....no exageration they improved bite 100%... the drawback being thick thick dust :shrug:.....later Ferrodo DS2500's became the perfect compromise IMO

I think we all welcome competition but are wary of 'cheap immitations' too e.g. Galfer pads which seemed like a bargain then screwed peoples disks.

So as soon as someone gets a set give some balanced an unbiast feedback, repeat stops from 70mph std vs EBC etc would be usefull. How they bite, pedal feel, noisy when cold etc etc.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.