At last cheap Cupra R brake discs!!!!

slimtater

Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
surely a punch would have got the pin out?! you have to use a punch anyway!

and on my old car when i went to change the discs, the disc retaining screw was seized and then the screwdriver burred the screw head! [:@] so i ended up drilling it out... which didn't really matter as its the wheel bots that holds the discs to the hub not the screw! :yes:

The punch got three out of four fine. One was stuck fast and it bent the end of the punch which then marked the caliper.[:@]

I ended up drilling one of the screws out as well - it even knackered a bit on an impact driver. Just goes to prove the heat that gets put on brakes.

slimtater

Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
When changing the brake disks it's the bolts holding the caliper in position that are a real b1tch, no room for leverage odd sized spanner needed etc.

Thats strange, this is the bit I didn't have any trouble with. 18mm socket on a normal ratchet. Oh, and a foot long piece of steel pipe over the handle to get that extra leverage.
Then again, I did find a good guide.......:whistle:

spikus1969

Use this voucher code it works on www.brakes4u.co.uk
s060104j
It will give you a bit more discount every little helps
I have the drilled and grooved and redstuff pads and find them to be awesome they have been fitted for 6 months

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
... I have the drilled and grooved and redstuff pads and find them to be awesome they have been fitted for 6 months

really?! thats good to hear!

how many miles have you done on them? and have you given them much stick?! (is ur car mapped?!)

lastly, have you noticed bad rust build up at all? :shrug:

spikus1969

i have done around 6500 miles at the moment.Also yes i am quite heavy on the brakes.My wife cant stand it as i brake at the last second scare the s**t out of here as she is used to tootling along at 30MPH LOL

There are no signs of rust at the moment mate(touch wood).
Also when you bed them in dont go out and thrash them with half a dozen quick stops from 160MPH to 0MPH i just done steady driving for a bout 400 miles no heavy stops and they can now be given some abuse with no probs

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
sounds promising then!

as for rust i meant like after u wash ur car, or when its been raining over night and when you come to ur car you can notice the discs are slightly rusty... doesn't really matter as the pads will take the surface rust off... but the area (like in between the vents) will get worse over time... some discs will corrode here a lot worse than others i.e. poor quality discs! :( (especially if the vehicle is not used!)

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
The standard Brembo discs on mine rust very quickly. When I go out to the car after a 12 hour shift they're covered in rust spots. Same after I wash my car.

Quite tempted to stay with OE discs and just upgrade the pads & fluid... but then there's EBC which would be a cheaper option, and the drilled Brembo's at the TT Shop, and the slotted Brembo's on eBay... the more I think about it, the more confused I get and I just don't know what to do any more! :shrug:

I'd rather go with tried & tested, brakes aren't something to take chances with - specially not on my pride 'n' joy! :p

Just out of interest, what is the minimum thickness of the front Brembo disc on the LCR? I've heard it's 26mm i.e. 2mm wear from new... is this right?

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
i think* so yea... 29 - 26mm thickness

tried and tested would be Ferrdo DS2500 fast road pads with either OEM discs, OEM discs that have been grooved (ebay!) or drilled brembo discs (TT Shop!)

and the LCR discs get surface rust very quick, but this is not important, pads remove this... its rusting on the rest of the disc where the pads dont touch that im worried about (after seeing some very very corroded discs!)

willbatch

Jul 19, 2006
well i've done 50 miles on my set up now, didnt want to stop at first as they were all new lol, now they are starting to get better and better, i'll let you all know how it goes after a few hundred with my ultra cheap set up.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I've just contacted the seller of the Brembo slotted discs and red stuff pads on ebay (levo21) ebay link

I told him there may be a couple of people interested in new discs & pads and asked if he could do some sort of deal...

This is the reply I had back from him...

"HI IM SURE WE CAN DO A DEAL..AS YOU WILL NO THE EBC PADS ARE NOT CHEAP AROUND £120.00 RRP THEY ARE USED ON SOME FERRARI IE 360. WE BUY THE DISCS IN FROM SEAT AT £100.00 EACH INC VAT.AND WE USUALY CHARGE AROUND £40.00 PER SET TO GROOVE..
I CAN OFFER YOU SETS FOR £330.00 INCLUDING VAT AT £7.00 POST PER SET YOU MUST ORDER MORE THAN 2 SETS TO GET THE POST COST DOWN AND ORDER OVER THE TELEPHONE VIA CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD.VAT INVOICE CAN BE SUPPLIED IF REQ.ALL GOODS ARE SENT VIA COURIER AND INSURED..
THANKS CRN RICHARD"

Looks pretty good to me...

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Well having been throught this myself....my 2 pence worth...
Brembo Pads...good pad, stopped well, didnt last to long, not to bad on dust imo.....
OMP Pads (Ebay) had these fitted, as a 2nd set to my disks, and they were ok, did a trackday @ Brands, and they were fine, it was the fluid that let me down in the end...for under 40 quid, good value for money, BUT they did score the disk badly, and really seemed to eat the disk too, think i managed about 8000 odd miles from them!!! not so bad for dust too, just wouldnt buy them again due to the damage they did to the disk.
Ferredo DS2500 What a pad, no troubles so far, expensive, but good from cold, good when hot, i REALLY put them through there paces at the Lyddon trackday (as some of you will remember) ;) smoke.....worth the money, will have to see how many miles i get from them...

Motil RBF600 fluid....Again awesome, a little bit more than normal fluid, but the last trackday i did, NO FADE at all, even after the most horrendus abuse i could give the car 100MPH down to 2nd gear and numerous other heavy breaking bends (Lyddon Hill) and this fluid NEVER let me down, really worthwhile if you do drive fast..

Brembo Groved discs....covered about 4000 miles now, and all is well, managed to get a new set of oe disks from ebay, and get them grooved myself, after heavy breaking and when there hot, ie 120 down to 30 they make a hell of a noise, but no judder and the car is still stopping well, with no fade, and i can do this all day long with no reduction in efficiency..not that i would that would just be silly...but you get what i mean.

So all in im now on Brembo groved disks, Motil RBF 600 fluid, and Ferredo DS2500 pads, i KNOW my car will stop no matter how hard i push it, and on track or road, i am realy happy with the performance and durability of the set up, would reccomend it to anyone who is looking to upgrade...this has taken me 22,000 miles to do this, so am hoping the newest set up is a little longer lasting, lets see if you do pay for what you get, or if it is worth fitting cheaper sets and just replacing slightly more often...

Now the question is, is it worth upgrading the break lines??? Anyone?

Hope this helps a bit, iv rambled on for ages so....my 2 pences worth..

Matt

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
How much were Bill at Badger 5 grooved LCR disks? thought they were less than that??

If EBC pads are £120 seriously consider Ferrodo DS2500 at roughly the same cost, maybe cheaper??

Fluid change to MOTUL or similar is highly recommended

Jonny - Be aware there are some forum rules on group buys so have a read up on them first ;)

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
I ended up with the same setup except plain OEM disks and agree it was excellent.

Yes steve, i think this is the winner. Good performance on track and on the road, around town etc, they are stantard brembo disks, i just put them into a little engineering co, and they grooved them for me for 50quid..

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
How much brake fluid do you require if you are changing it all?
Is Motul RBF600 fluid easy to get hold of?

yes its £8.99+vat/500ml from badger5
The spec of motul fluid, ds2500 pads started from Badger5 reccommendations remember ;)
323x28 plain brembo disks £96+vat with grooved ones being £125+vat each.

You heard it here first. :)

Last edited:

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
yes its £8.99+vat/500ml from badger5
The spec of motul fluid, ds2500 pads started from Badger5 reccommendations remember ;)
323x28 plain brembo disks £96+vat with grooved ones being £125+vat each.

You heard it here first. :)

My grooved disks turned up this morning. Cheers bill :cheers: