ATP GT2871R Build with pics

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
After some disscussions with the wife, i think i have got her talked round into letting me spend some more cash on my baby.

Iam gonna do the internals along with a different turbo setup.

Iam unsure which route to go as this will be the last time i pull it too pieces, so it needs to be done right.

The GT28RS option is quite pricey, due to the change of exhaust and DP and Manifold etc,

But i have been looking at the BIG eliminator 2871R. Has anyone read anything about them, i can only find write ups on A4's etc fitted with them not golfs etc, I would like to know about any fitment issues etc.

Any ideas on the route to go would be nice, i would like 360 - 380 BHP :D

Last edited:

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Robdon

Got that hardpipe fitted, the cobra bend was no good, wouldn't boost, to restrictive, but once i sorted a pipe out, put open filter on and turned boost up to 1.4 bar its much better.

Very very quick, i just crave more and more.

Petes IHI stage 3 ibiza feels no quicker than mine now. (sorry pete)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Gettin it RR'd soon matt? Be a lot of people out there curious to what it pulls.

And to echo what robdon said, its not worth paying the extra really, at that sort of power/flow/turbo you're really restricted with the manifold than anything else, as most people ditch it and go for the T25 and do a proper GT turbo.

You can get a cheap 3" downpipe for stock location from Qpeng if your worried about the extra cost of the DP.

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Gettin it RR'd soon matt? Be a lot of people out there curious to what it pulls.

And to echo what robdon said, its not worth paying the extra really, at that sort of power/flow/turbo you're really restricted with the manifold than anything else, as most people ditch it and go for the T25 and do a proper GT turbo.

You can get a cheap 3" downpipe for stock location from Qpeng if your worried about the extra cost of the DP.

AH i knew there was someone with the RS kit. whats the fitment like, clearence like?

what DP have you used and what injectors?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I havent got one. Yet. lol.

Just been reading up about it a lot. There was some guy on Vortex in the past week asking for sizes from the back of the block to the biggest part on the turbo to see if it would fit in his mk1 golf, i'll see if i can dig it out. But tbh, i cant see there being much problem with fitment, theres loads of room down the back for something that big.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think the problem will be getting the thing down there in the 1st place, but may well have room down there.

might be easiest to remove the front subframe & tilt the engine forward a tiny bit to gain clearance, then cant the engine back once bolted up

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
I like the look of ATP's GT28RS kit, looks much the same as JBS etc. But you can upgrade the turbo to a 2871R, and a bigger one again, i want around 360 - 380 BHP

Is that physically much bigger than the Potato? and also i take it the DP that comes with that comes with it wont be of any use too me?

Also M0rk what injectors would you recommend, 550cc?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...&Product_Code=ATP-VVW-123&Category_Code=VVWTK

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
550's at 3bar is what many people are using. cheap enough from USRT, and won't strain the fuel pump (apparently)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
So your lookin at a full GT kit then, not the eliminator?

That will probably give you more power than the same name'd eliminator kit due to the manifold/dp design which flows better for that kind of power.

I think you'll get your desired power with a GT2871R Eliminator kit with a 3" decatted system with all the right mods.

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
I am pretty sure iam gonna go for the ATP GT28RS kit, but would like opinions on the 2871R, will it produce enough more power and torque to compensate for the extra lag?

And will it fit in the ibiza?

What power are the standard pistons good for? iam definately changing rods and valves.

Does anyone have a link to where i can get valves?

Last edited:

MR Ibiza Cupra

Feb 17, 2006
London
I am pretty sure iam gonna go for the ATP GT28RS kit, but would like opinions on the 2871R, will it produce enough more power and torque to compensate for the extra lag?

And will it fit in the ibiza?

What power are the standard pistons good for? iam definately changing rods and valves.

Does anyone have a link to where i can get valves?

Pistons are usually rated by RPM not HP....:) Personally i'd go down the route and get a custom Turbo made up to try and compensate, and get rid of most of the unwanted lag. The more money you have to spend the easier it will be to find a tuner who can achieve the results that you want with virtualy no lag.

Last edited:

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
im currently fitting a gt28rs kit to mine matt! not sure if you have seen the thread!

be prepared for a struggle with fitting the manifold! its a pig! i will get pics!

as for which kit to go for i guess it all depands on what money you have as its always going to be cheaper with an eliminator! but as you said theres always more options at a later date with the proper potato!

if you went eliminator i would make sure you will defo be happy with the power! because if you got it and wanted more say a year down the line then theres no more upgrades for you! how do you know you want 360-380...?

you will always want more!

HoocH

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
The GT2871R can be, and has been fitted to an Ibiza before, it fits but is tight. JBS fitted one to Andy_D's car and it went well, had lag but which big turbo set up doesnt, the .20 housing IHI has a fair bit more lag than the .18!!!

My next step is looking into the internals, after sorting out a few more niggles and going to Awesome GTI i got 343bhp and 315ft/lbs of torque but fancy a little bit more, maybe 1.9 to eliminate a little bit of lag.

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
im currently fitting a gt28rs kit to mine matt! not sure if you have seen the thread!

be prepared for a struggle with fitting the manifold! its a pig! i will get pics!

as for which kit to go for i guess it all depands on what money you have as its always going to be cheaper with an eliminator! but as you said theres always more options at a later date with the proper potato!

if you went eliminator i would make sure you will defo be happy with the power! because if you got it and wanted more say a year down the line then theres no more upgrades for you! how do you know you want 360-380...?

you will always want more!

HoocH

Iam not getting the eliminator, its between the proper disco potato and the 2871R.

The manifold can be any worse than the ATP on currently on, surely? it was a nightmare.

I have just set the wheels in motion and order genesis 550cc injectors and harness adapters from USRT, (thanks m0rk).

Anyone know if the standard pistons will be safe on this power level? not sure how hard it will rev when done?

not really sure why i said 360 - 380? just seems like a nice fuigure. I have £4200 to spend so hopefully i will get everything needed for that, injectors just cost £236 delivered.

Last edited:

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
£3964 remaining lol

i will get pictures of mani! ive got the engine out and it still took me 1 1/2 hours to do the nuts up!! made 3 custom spanners

HoocH

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
im going for scat! i know a man in usa who can sort you good prices if you want his email!

i just got 2 diffs, clutch, flywheel, sparkplugs and power gasket from him...cheap

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.