Attending a Trackday?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Arranging a Seat trackday... you wouldn't believe how hard that would be but that's sort of the point of my starting this forum topic:coolthumb

There are 5 of us in my group (work / used to work together) who do regular track days but we've all yet to be available on the same dates, but with this forum topic we can put the dates out there and depending on dates and location, maybe a few of us may end up at the same track at the same time lol. Its worth noteing MSV do give discounts for 5+ in a group.

Looks like a few of you have some serious spec. Cupra's / R's be a shame to not let them breathe a bit on a track, in this day an age the roads are so littered with other cars all over the roads plus the state of them, quick cars are no fun (and it's against the law :cop: ) . I sold my previous Classic Impreza STi because it was a pointless road car to me, as it was too fast for the road and too good to track, i'm not into showing, I enjoy driving fast.

The track isn't for everyone, but most of you seem to have very capable cars which would look after you on track, and not everyone drives at 110% on trackdays (just the BMW drivers). You're more likely to be in an accident on the road than on track due to the better skill level your encounter.

Anyways, you don't need to be as good Lewis Hamilton either, as I demonstrate in some footage from Snetterton...

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Arranging a Seat trackday... you wouldn't believe how hard that would be but that's sort of the point of my starting this forum topic:coolthumb

There are 5 of us in my group (work / used to work together) who do regular track days but we've all yet to be available on the same dates, but with this forum topic we can put the dates out there and depending on dates and location, maybe a few of us may end up at the same track at the same time lol. Its worth noteing MSV do give discounts for 5+ in a group.

Looks like a few of you have some serious spec. Cupra's / R's be a shame to not let them breathe a bit on a track, in this day an age the roads are so littered with other cars all over the roads plus the state of them, quick cars are no fun (and it's against the law :cop: ) . I sold my previous Classic Impreza STi because it was a pointless road car to me, as it was too fast for the road and too good to track, i'm not into showing, I enjoy driving fast.

The track isn't for everyone, but most of you seem to have very capable cars which would look after you on track, and not everyone drives at 110% on trackdays (just the BMW drivers). You're more likely to be in an accident on the road than on track due to the better skill level your encounter.

Anyways, you don't need to be as good Lewis Hamilton either, as I demonstrate in some footage from Snetterton...

I totally agree lol getting people in for the national meet was tough! We got a few people going which was nice but as always it would be good to get a good turn out. I'm not a corner person lol I like my off the line and straights I have a my R so a track would be something I doubt I'd enjoy as much as I woukdnt be able to push it.

But watching others is just as fun and then if people stay over all have a beer is way better than not meeting up at all. I'm happy to travel anywhere for a meet as I get a chance to drive the car.

I'm up for joining people to a track day to give moral support and then maybe have a nap after eating to much cheese haha

Does anyone else find themselves following the corners when watching that video lol I'm leaning all over the place haha good run there!

Reactions: vwtrev

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
We could make a "race track" out of pubs - The winner is last man standing (against first across the line. Although there might be just a few too many pubs between here and you guys.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
We could make a "race track" out of pubs - The winner is last man standing (against first across the line. Although there might be just a few too many pubs between here and you guys.
Only one way to find out lol

So locations everyone...

I'm rutland in the Midlands (near Leicester and Peterborough)

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Uxbridge/ West London
I don’t drink more than a pint in a week. I’d be first on the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deleted member 103408

So the two guys who do lots of track days dont drink, does this mean i have to give up if I want to get good.

My first track day is next monday and looking forward to it, i also noticed that you can get a discount card when you sign up so will see if thats worth anything.

Reactions: vwtrev

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
So the two guys who do lots of track days dont drink, does this mean i have to give up if I want to get good.

My first track day is next monday and looking forward to it, i also noticed that you can get a discount card when you sign up so will see if thats worth anything.
Beer money goes on fuel and tyres no doubt lol

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom

Going by the price of Fuel (99RON in my case), it'll probably be cheaper to drink! Tyres, yep, they last about two years.. and then some of us have two sets....

On the discount side, MSV give out cards which if you get a second stamp on, the third booking gets 10% off for everyone you book on the veent (not just you and includes a discount on garages too), Javelin have a points system and each point seems to be worth £1 off your booking (they build up). I don't know of any others that have 'loyalty points'. OpenTrack used to be cheaper than the others but now is the same really.

Deleted member 103408

Thanks, well I am going with MSV so will make sure to get my card marked.

Yes I am running 99RON as well and judging by what our friends in the US are doing I suspect the price is going to increase more over the next couple months. Joys of high performance cars - nothing is cheap.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Mine is mapped on V Power so I’m at Shell’s mercy and I don’t think they have much mercy!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So Monday took me to Bedford Autodrome on their GT circuit.
4.2 miles fast and technical track.
3 chicanes 2 hairpins etc.
Loads of run off. A track where you can push quite a bit with no fear of hitting barriers.
The tarmac is smooth and grippy, easy to hit 100+ on a few straits
I Hit 130 on the long strait. Shame there’s a chicane 2/3 of the way down it. But you can hit this at 80-90 so that’s a rush too.

Spent the day, tyres squealing like piglets.
On the edge of grip and then pushing past it.
These cars are a whole load of fun, peeling rubber off when exiting the corners.
So well behaved when they step out and the arse snaps out.
You end up searching it out as it makes for more fun.

There is a problem with sound levels at this circuit , which we now know to be the lowest in the country!
100dB static and only 87dB on a fly by.
My friends CRX was banned.
We blagged nicely and they allowed us to add a baffle. Only to be black flagged once again for booting it right by a sensor!
My car was black flagged to warn me I was half a dB off breaking the limit and that I’d have to leave if I hit it. But I carried on and nothing more came of it.

There was a great mix of cars.
First time I’ve seen 6 Porsches in one spot. there was even a Maclaren present.
Bim bimmers aplenty.
There were Honda Civic type R s
Renaults and fiesta STs, MR2s, and a Focus that blew up on the pit strait. Along with many more.
But you could see they all rated my pals CRX and the LCR.

We had a great day even with being banned.
The cars were faultless and we both drive them like we stole them.
A great day.
I Highly recommend this Circuit.
We will definitely be booking more days there.
Even if we have to lift off the gas here and there to stop being banned.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
So Monday took me to Bedford Autodrome on their GT circuit.
4.2 miles fast and technical track.
3 chicanes 2 hairpins etc.
Loads of run off. A track where you can push quite a bit with no fear of hitting barriers.
The tarmac is smooth and grippy, easy to hit 100+ on a few straits
I Hit 130 on the long strait. Shame there’s a chicane 2/3 of the way down it. But you can hit this at 80-90 so that’s a rush too.

Spent the day, tyres squealing like piglets.
On the edge of grip and then pushing past it.
These cars are a whole load of fun, peeling rubber off when exiting the corners.
So well behaved when they step out and the arse snaps out.
You end up searching it out as it makes for more fun.

There is a problem with sound levels at this circuit , which we now know to be the lowest in the country!
100dB static and only 87dB on a fly by.
My friends CRX was banned.
We blagged nicely and they allowed us to add a baffle. Only to be black flagged once again for booting it right by a sensor!
My car was black flagged to warn me I was half a dB off breaking the limit and that I’d have to leave if I hit it. But I carried on and nothing more came of it.

There was a great mix of cars.
First time I’ve seen 6 Porsches in one spot. there was even a Maclaren present.
Bim bimmers aplenty.
There were Honda Civic type R s
Renaults and fiesta STs, MR2s, and a Focus that blew up on the pit strait. Along with many more.
But you could see they all rated my pals CRX and the LCR.

We had a great day even with being banned.
The cars were faultless and we both drive them like we stole them.
A great day.
I Highly recommend this Circuit.
We will definitely be booking more days there.
Even if we have to lift off the gas here and there to stop being banned.

Nice write up! you've sold me the track :)

That's the good side to having a Milltek over a Cobra / custom exhaust, you get the performance but mine only hits 89dB static :)

Reactions: Sparkie

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Found out my down pipe and decat are from Pipe Works.
Rest is custom too. Mine was 91 static 86.5 fly by.
Nice to know.
We’ve learned the hard way. Best to wind it up gradually and go in and discuss your levels with them Then build speed and noise until near their limits.

Deleted member 103408

Going to add that information to my build thread, its something you don't think about till you start going to the track.

Cadwell park shows 105db Static but nothing for drive by and the other thing that i noted is if you have a twin pipe setup (which i do) they seem to measure the noise in the middle of the two pipes (unless i got that wrong).

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Your pipes would technically need to be 2 metres apart for them to read from the middle I’m guessing.

Deleted member 103408

I update after the test on monday, only other question I have is what are the recommendations for the type of insurance for track days as the last time i phoned I got all sorts of different types of cover offered to me.

If you have an accident with another car is it like normal road insurance the one at fault pays or do you both have to pay for your own repairs.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I update after the test on monday, only other question I have is what are the recommendations for the type of insurance for track days as the last time i phoned I got all sorts of different types of cover offered to me.

If you have an accident with another car is it like normal road insurance the one at fault pays or do you both have to pay for your own repairs.

Prices differ wildly. My pal pat 115 per trip and his excess is a grand on his bmw.
I pay 45 per trip and my excess doubles while on track but that’s only 250 so it’s fine.
If you’re with a modified insurer they will have cover available if you call. I guess.
No you only insure your car and it’s tough **** for the other guy unless he has his own insurance.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members