Attending a Trackday?

Deleted member 103408

Tyres and brakes do get very hot and you have to let the pressure out after every session.

I have a big brake kit on the front which I guess helps over stock I certainly did not notice any fade of any sort.

This day the format was 20 minutes on every hour it all gets hot but as soon as you go into the paddock open bonnet and let air out of the tyres and you can certainly feel the heat off the wheels.

Came off the track once (starting to get brave and forgot to brake :) ) yes I did a few edges but not to much as I was trying to get the car round the track and not kill myself.

Reactions: Legojon

Deleted member 103408

Guys quick question, I see that Bedford have an open pit lane day on the 5th November.

I know my car is under the 101 db static level, how do we work out what level the driveby will be at (as bedford is low) or do you think that most cars will make it.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Guys quick question, I see that Bedford have an open pit lane day on the 5th November.

I know my car is under the 101 db static level, how do we work out what level the driveby will be at (as bedford is low) or do you think that most cars will make it.

What’s your static?
Usually get an idea from that.
When we were there, there were lots of hard core Seats. 18 plate Cupra. Big exhaust etc. Even had slicks on. A mk2 with huge pipes.
Mcclaren there and Porsche’s etc. None had issues.
The most sensitive sensor that kept getting us was at the hairpin after pit exit. There’s a white line painted on the curve. If you keep to the right of it you are further away from the sensor which is sat nr the apex of the corner. Wait an extra second before flooring it and it’s fine.
Thing to do which we didn’t , I’d do a lap 3/4 power. Come in and ask in the office. At to end of pit lane. They will tell you your readings and you can build from there. Keep going faster keep checking.
I was wanging it everywhere and was half a dB under limit. Hit the limit and you’re off.
My pal in his enthusiasm went strait out and crushed it. With his V tech type r and skunk2 mani and zorst screaming it heart out.
5db over. Black flag. Day is done.
When we produced a baffle they said why didn’t you start with that in?
Think drive by is 87.
With deep burbling 3”+systems
On turbo cars the highest reading come on overrun. Which to be honest you rarely back off for long enough on track to produce overrun.
Once you’ve done a few laps you can see where all the sensors are.
If caught they show you a lovely shot of your car!sensor fires a camera so no denying.
Hope that helps.
Bedford 5 th nov
I’m interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deleted member 103408

Thanks for the info, I cant recall my static but the sticker on the car shows 8 and my app showed 89 max.

I am very interested in the 5th as its only £99-00 (and I am guessing it will be a little quieter as its later in the season) and I can get another instruction in. Do you think its worth booking a garage or is there plenty of room to park the car.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Thanks for the info, I cant recall my static but the sticker on the car shows 8 and my app showed 89 max.

I am very interested in the 5th as its only £99-00 (and I am guessing it will be a little quieter as its later in the season) and I can get another instruction in. Do you think its worth booking a garage or is there plenty of room to park the car.

Wow that’s cheap. I may have to join in. The way it’s set up id take a garage. If 2of you it’s only 15 each.
Not much place you can put your gear otherwise.
Also if it rains you can chill in the dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Deleted member 103408

Yes that's what I thought, all booked up now and looking forward to it.

Deleted member 103408

Sorry did not say but i have booked a garage so if you are going to come dont bother booking one we can share.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Well glad to say we are all booked up.
Me and my buddy in the noisy CRX.
there’s a chance a couple of others might come but it’s only a maybe.
S2000 and a GT3 RS.
will wait and see.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Thats not bad... I expected the tyres and pads to be on fire. Did you bounce the kerbs?

Just my two penneth for anyone interested. If you don’t have a big brake kit and you drive quickly using pads like DS2500s then they won’t last long and fade pretty quickly even with short sessions. I use RSL29 pads which are epic, but they do cost north of £400 for the fronts.

Road tyres, even the best like PS4S, start to go off on track when you are pushing on, the kind of pace our Cupras carry with only light modifications is crazy, unless there is something really special out there then they will be one of the quickest cars on track, so a decent semi slick is needed really.

Even with the traction stability systems all off, the Cupra appears to have some sort of yaw control working? I’ve tried to unsettle the car on very high speed corners and it just gathers itself in, subtle but it definitely feels like something is working. Once you’ve got several days under your belt, these cars are foolproof on track, in both the dry and the wet.

Make sure you know your upper and lower temps for oil, there are notable differences between brands, a Fuch Pro S operates well at high temps so is a good choice.

I tend to use at least two tanks of fuel on a track day... :)

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Just my two penneth for anyone interested. If you don’t have a big brake kit and you drive quickly using pads like DS2500s then they won’t last long and fade pretty quickly even with short sessions. I use RSL29 pads which are epic, but they do cost north of £400 for the fronts.

Road tyres, even the best like PS4S, start to go off on track when you are pushing on, the kind of pace our Cupras carry with only light modifications is crazy, unless there is something really special out there then they will be one of the quickest cars on track, so a decent semi slick is needed really.

Even with the traction stability systems all off, the Cupra appears to have some sort of yaw control working? I’ve tried to unsettle the car on very high speed corners and it just gathers itself in, subtle but it definitely feels like something is working. Once you’ve got several days under your belt, these cars are foolproof on track, in both the dry and the wet.

Make sure you know your upper and lower temps for oil, there are notable differences between brands, a Fuch Pro S operates well at high temps so is a good choice.

I tend to use at least two tanks of fuel on a track day... :)

Hi. Not found my pads to fade much, but could still do with much more stopping power.
400quid is pretty steep for fronts only. Take it they are not road legal?
Oil I keep an eye on. Hit 127 last time out. That’s pretty hot.
May look at an oil cooler.
Tyres totally agree need semi slick track day tyres as they heat up uniformly and maintain grip levels well. I run AD-/08r on my mk1. 2 tanks of fuel. You must be on track non stop! I only do a max of 5/6 laps then in for a cool down. You in a mk1/2/3?

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Hi. Not found my pads to fade much, but could still do with much more stopping power.
400quid is pretty steep for fronts only. Take it they are not road legal?
Oil I keep an eye on. Hit 127 last time out. That’s pretty hot.
May look at an oil cooler.
Tyres totally agree need semi slick track day tyres as they heat up uniformly and maintain grip levels well. I run AD-/08r on my mk1. 2 tanks of fuel. You must be on track non stop! I only do a max of 5/6 laps then in for a cool down. You in a mk1/2/3?

The pads are fine for the road, superb friction in even the coldest weather, however they squeak a fair bit, so most wouldn’t consider them a good road pad...

Re temps, I may wrong, but quite a few oils would be past their ideal working window at 127? After speaking to some of the oil guys at Opie, the cut off that I’ve set myself would be 125, although in reality I haven’t hit that as I tend to do lots of shorter sessions.

Its a 375 bhp Cupra 280 :)

Deleted member 103408

Sparkie great day out today, thanks very much for taking me round in your motor it is a beast in its own right.

I shall be going to Bedford again hopefully can get a bit more speed out of my motor.
Great Track and once again lots of nice people there.

Found my wallet (tucked underneath my seat) so that's all good.

One pic for the rest of the guys

3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Sparkie great day out today, thanks very much for taking me round in your motor it is a beast in its own right.

I shall be going to Bedford again hopefully can get a bit more speed out of my motor.

Found my wallet (tucked underneath my seat) so that's all good.

One pic for the rest of the guys

View attachment 2627
Awesome! Did you manage to get any footage? Weather didn't look to great today here in thr Midlands.

Look like nice clean cars! Thanks for the pic!

Deleted member 103408

Overcast to start with but got brighter as the day went on, Track was a bit slippy at the start but got much better.

Yes the clean cars don't look clean anymore afraid the track throws up a lot of stuff, might be time for a ceramic coat :( as if i dont have enough things to spend my money.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.