attention 8v owners!

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
having only heard rumours that a mk2 golf gti 8v cam will give the 2.0L 8v engine more power, they were confirmed by the total daddy in the know, RWD19T over on E38. apparently 10 bhp can be had! (other mods depending) so I bought one, fitted it.......what a difference!!!! the flat spot at 3.5k revs has dissapeared and the car pulls sooooooo much stronger than it did before! its a very noticable difference especially when I fitted it together with an FSE adjustable fuel pressure regulator. just got to get the ECU chiped/remapped and a 4 branch now!! thinking about it now, i really should have taken before/after videos! doh! well worth shelling out 20-30 quid for! better value than paying 180 quid+ for high lift cams! rock N roll!:funk:

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
having only heard rumours that a mk2 golf gti 8v cam will give the 2.0L 8v engine more power, they were confirmed by the total daddy in the know, RWD19T over on E38. apparently 10 bhp can be had! (other mods depending) so I bought one, fitted it.......what a difference!!!! the flat spot at 3.5k revs has dissapeared and the car pulls sooooooo much stronger than it did before! its a very noticable difference especially when I fitted it together with an FSE adjustable fuel pressure regulator. just got to get the ECU chiped/remapped and a 4 branch now!! thinking about it now, i really should have taken before/after videos! doh! well worth shelling out 20-30 quid for! better value than paying 180 quid+ for high lift cams! rock N roll!:funk:

Mate is your engine an AGG? And what Golf engine did you get the cam out of?

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
my engine is AGG and the cam is from a mk2 golf engine code PB. be carefull though! if you dont fit it properly and in the exact way haynes tells you, you shear the cam in half! like I did!! the cam I have in now is the 2nd one!!

lcjay

Jul 8, 2006
London
is it just around 3.5k you notice any difference? does it idel ok or is it a bit lumpy? would you benifit from using the head and cam from the same PB enginge or are the valves the same size?

Mckellar

surely you'd need it remapped to make the cam fit in with the timing?

lcjay

Jul 8, 2006
London
i would have thought the timing would need setting up for the cam myself?
just got myself one on order anyway

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
the cam is longer duration more than a high lift, the timing I just set to how it says in the haynes, it idles just as normal ie not lumpy. at the end of the day its not a full on high lift fast road cam, just a bit higher with longer duration, still a standard vw cam so no remapping was needed. would probably benefit from one though.

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
no reall difference in power delivery, its ver consistant through the whole rev range, but that flat spot at 3.5 ish revs where the car would not quite pull like it does in the rest of the revs dissapeared, apparrently this is to do with the longer duration. basically the AGG engine is very heavily restricted! the head flows poorly compared to the mk2 golf aswell. then its stifled with a cat, and then they go and stick in the mildest short duration cam ever!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
cheap mod then - be worth looking at the cam specs to see if theres any aftermarket ones about with even greater scope

saying that brendy stuck a KR head and cams on his ABF and swears it seemed better too

lcjay

Jul 8, 2006
London
been thinking about doing a complete PB head and cam conversion but thinking about it,i think its going to get to involved as the sensors,airbox and metering head etc are all going to need changing also.
think ill start with the cam on its own and go from there to start

lcjay

Jul 8, 2006
London
so with just the cam change do you lose anything low down in the rev range in exchange for a gain higher up the revs or is it a pretty smooth gain all the way through the revs?
what power gains are people talking about with just the cam fitted?

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
ive got a valver :) rlisted has my old 8v ... im just wandering if anyone would be intrested, ill probably break the engine see if anyone needs bits across mk2 golf forums and scrap the rest.

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
so with just the cam change do you lose anything low down in the rev range in exchange for a gain higher up the revs or is it a pretty smooth gain all the way through the revs?
what power gains are people talking about with just the cam fitted?

no it's just very smooth even delivery, they should have fitted this cam in the first place! not sure if i'll pass the MOT emissions test with it though! as apparrently it was the emissions law that made vw fit the cam it came with.
power gains vary, i suppose the more you have done in the first place the more the gains. but the most is really about 10bhp. its the way it improves response and gets rid of any flat spots that's more noticable

Last edited: