Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
I have been applying subtle tweaks to my S3 since I bought it back in October 2008.

I have not made a big thing about my tweaks as I like the sleeper appeal of a car looking pretty standard hiding all sorts of untold silly nonsense...

Mods to date are Bilstein B8's/30mm Apex springs, AH Fabrications FMIC, DS2500's and Motul RBF600, silicone hoses and the normal Green panel filter and Forge DV upgrade. All topped off with a Custom Code stage 1 map.

I have been after a turbo conversion of sorts for a little while now as everything is more or less in place ready for this next step. I have spent a bit of time over at Badger Bill's and have seen Matt20vt's big turbo A3 become a reality (and I have also been out in this very fast machine too), various SEAT Ibiza's and Leon's with all sorts of tuning goodies thrown at them (you SEAT boys aren't shy) and more recently barnsley's VW Polo with a GT30!!!, I wasn't convinced I wanted the agro of going BT and just thought I go K04 hybrid and 3" downpipe as I like the idea of the engine bay retaining its OEM look. However..... after another trip to see my good friend Badger Bill last week, its almost as if he has been reading my mind as setup on his spare engine when I walked in was....

IMG_3496.jpg

...an underslung GT3071R with a an 0.62 hotside (PAG Parts mani).... Yes, you've guessed it... this is now destined for my car

My car is over at Bill's towards the end of this week as he has kindly allowed me to work on the car at his workshop under his expert eye.

Here are a few more pics of goodies lined up ready to go on...

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG00037-20090808-1544.jpg

IMG00047-20090815-1110.jpg

I start work on it Thursday night and will post up as I go.

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
are you doing any head work tuffty or anything to the valve train

Not at this point in time mate no. I wanted to build a 2ltr stroker originally but I am building this on a bit of a budget to see what I can actually get for the money.

Its easy just to throw cash at a project like this but ultimately the end game is to get a drivable car that is reliable and has power. Main reasons for head work and valve gear is more top end power or to allow the engine to rev higher reliably if the power curve keeps on going. There have been occasions where people have spent a small fortune on engine rebuilds only to find their chosen turbo and other parts means it doesn't give power much beyond the factory redline. I want to see what the result is using the components I am using then if it looks like I will get appreciable return for replacing the valve gear then I will do so.

Agreed uprated valve gear gives better reliability of the engine but tbh not at the current expense of doing it. Not at this time any hoo. I am keeping it smallport as I spend a lot of my time in the car driving across town on the rat run, I have owed 'hotrods' in the past and they are just a complete arse to deal with on a daily basis..

Not cheap this tuning lark but just trying to apply a logical upgrade path to keep the costs down but still get the result.

Polo is looking good though ;P

<tuffty/>

Jun 1, 2007
bills doing a good job ;)

know what your saying with the cost i keep thinking about springs but were do you stop :think:

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
bills doing a good job ;)

Can vouch for that mate... its well snug in there and a lot of engineering issues to overcome and keep the car safe to drive... Can't just throw these things together... although I have seen it done :hide:

know what your saying with the cost i keep thinking about springs but were do you stop :think:

We planned this build through looking at a sensible approach to it and sensible components. I was going to go GT2871R but Bill had the GT30 in and I was sold... It suited what I wanted for the car and I have tried not to go OTT with the spend.

That said, clutch is next on the list :(

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
Highly interested in this build as this is what im planning on doing to my lcr. What figures you hopping for and you got a shopping list of mods that you are buying or bought for the engine?

Mark [B)]

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
The plan is to be fairly conservative using around 1.4bar (if you can call that conservative) so expectations are late 300's maybe 400bhp?? dunno... not so fussed about the ultimate power just that its all running nicely as its a daily driver.

Shopping list/spec wise...
PAG Parts log mani
PAG Parts GT3071R with .62 hotside internally gated
Integrated Engineering Rods (OEM shells)
OEM headgasket
Badger 5 Phenolic insulator
Siemens Deka 630cc injectors and rail spacers
355lph inline fuel pump
AH Fabrications S3 FMIC
Forge DV
Silicone hoses all round
Custom TIP (fabbed by Badger 5)
3" downpipe (fabbed by Badger 5)
Custom (something) to connect the comp outlet to the S3 OEM charge pipe
Badger 5 Stage 3 mapping
THS engine mounts
Green Panel filter in modded OEM airbox

Thats about it for now...

I do have a custom exhaust system lined up which will happen after the build (3" SS) and I'll wait for the clutch to go before I deal with that as I need to sort my third gear out... its a little 'stubborn' at time :)

<tuffty/>

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
so apart from the the rods your not doing anything to the block or pistons etc. Would you not achieve anything from a stroker kit at all?

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
so apart from the the rods your not doing anything to the block or pistons etc. Would you not achieve anything from a stroker kit at all?

I am not doing anything else at the moment as all the signs suggest the engine is in good order. I am undecided on the stroker as I don't know if I will get enough return for the outlay (I am a tight arse). I want to see how spool is on the 1.8 and where the power curve ends up before I decide on how to rebuild the engine. 2lt will give better spool, more base power and a bit more power top end but will be around 700 quid more than just pistons and an over bore. I may just overbore to 1.9 instead as the difference in power prob isn't really worth the extra.

When I know what the current setup is capable of, I will decide what to do about the full rebuild.

<tuffty/>

gazhatt

Hi Paul,
Will be keeping on eye on how this turbo spools - nice test bed to see if it's going to be suitable for my golf up there :help:
Gary

caney

Apr 24, 2005
Just had the OK from THS to mention that until the end of September, if you go and buy the complete set of mounts from their site (http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/product/FR3_Full_Engine_Mounting_System_THSFR3-CMP) and use the following code in the basket (SCNFR3CMP) it will give you £69 off the £199 retail price.

There is a £13 delivery charge so this lot cost me £143 in total... bargain :)

<tuffty/>
nice one i've just ordered the set!i was going to order the oem ones from the dealers which came out at £180 just for the gearbox and engine mounts alone:blink:thanks for that:funk:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.