Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Looks great and sounds like you had an interesting time on the dyno, something which i have planned for this sunday, logging, tweaking and running. I quite enjoy it. lol.

I'll be very interested in seeing the logs now with the bigger cooler and Supersize DV as this is near enough the same setup as i have now. Interesting that you have had to change the spring tho, keep me posted on this outcome.

Good luck with it, hope you iron out the niggles and get what you're after because its looking great. :)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Little update....

After popping the throttle body hose for the second time (at low boost) in a country lane in the middle of the night I asked Bill to weld some beads onto the throttle body to stop this happening again... R32 TB's don't have the bead around the edge like the std 60mm TB as its not a turbo car... lack of a bead for the hose/clamp to sit up against is the main contributor to hoses popping off...
IMAG0389.jpg

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

While Bill was happy in TIG land fabricating bits for a GT30 powered Mk2 Golf, I got my car on the dyno to take a few logs and see where the N75 was in the grand scheme of things as I want to use the N75 again albeit in parallel with the MBC... part throttle with MBC's is a little erratic at times and I want to see if I can sort that...

I have found a page where someone uses an N75 normally but uses a switch on WOT (wide open throttle) to switch an N249 valve into re-routing boost control from the N75 to the MBC... this way you get ECU control over boost when driving normally and MBC boost sustainability under WOT

The link is here:
MBC/N75 Boost Control results - NewBeetle.org Forums

I may well have a go at this at some point...

Anyhoo.... operating a car on a dyno is a very unnatural experience... first thing I wanted to do is release the handbrake (which is left on while the car is on the dyno) and then once I started off in first gear I wanted to put my seat belt on!!!... lol!

Did a couple of runs on actuator pressure... pretty evident I am getting bad boost creep as the internal gate is now far to restrictive for all the extra flow the charge system and head now provide... its a 1 bar actuator but with preload starts opening about 0.8 bar... boost then creeps up to over 24psi at over 7k rpm... this will be manageable once the mapping is sorted as this will be around the boost I will end up running but not the best thing that could happen... Basically it means I have to have the head off again and either port the crap out of the internal gate (as Bill did to Welly's) or go external gate as my manifold supports this... I am of course going external gate as I want to do it right, first time...

I did a couple of runs logging timing pull etc (there was no timing pull at all) and AFR was far too rich killing any hope of power higher up the rev range... I didn't run the car today to see what power I had anyway but its pretty evident there is some work to do as the current map is way out...

Last run I did was to see what the N75 was up to.... I pulled out about 4k rpm as the boost hit 33psi!!!!... N75 is now unplugged :blink:

After the runs I pulled the graphs together including one from before I fitted the large port head etc...

The red lines are the current setup with actuator (and boost creep) pressure only... running my previous map etc... the teal coloured lines are from my previous setup with the unmodded FMIC and charge pipes + small port head.... the orange lines are from the aborted run with the N75 connected... I have included this as you can see the potential the engine now has once I throw some boost at it...

Tuffty_20101024_comparison_01.jpg

Tuffty_20101024_comparison_02.jpg

In the second pic you can see where the boost was heading before I aborted (orange line) and the boost creep (red line)... I didn't log boost on the runs before the large port but was running about 1.5bar at the time..

The interesting thing is I am potentially getting full boost (1.6bar) well under 4k rpm, which (from memory) is much earlier than before... also when you compare the power lines from before (teal) to now (red and orange) everything is happening much earlier in the rev range than before....

Thats about it for now... got a bit of work to do but she is showing potential for plenty of power :yes:

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
The potential in that thing is awesome mate! Gotta be happy with those figures, shows what the right pipework and head can do.

Yeah... really pissed off with myself though as I looked at the damn wastegate thinking 'that does look a bit small... should I port it or not?' but didn't want to hold up the ramp any longer as the car had already been on 2 weeks longer than I first planned...

Did you run the white spring in the DV?

Yeah, seems to be working....

fyi this is my graph: external gate and profec ebc rock steady on boost, just a little laggy on small port head and slightly richer afr.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/philwarren11/Cupra/PHILIBIZA.jpg

Looks good... will look at sorting the external gate out in the new year I think... will definitely get done but too busy everywhere to have the car off the road again this side of christmas...

<tuffty/>

p0rnstar

I know this would seem a bit of a 'hack' but wouldn't fitting a 'boost machine' solve the creep issue?

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
Yeah... really pissed off with myself though as I looked at the damn wastegate thinking 'that does look a bit small... should I port it or not?' but didn't want to hold up the ramp any longer as the car had already been on 2 weeks longer than I first planned...

I had boost spike on my setup and what I recently did after the turbo came loose from a I had boost spike on my setup and what I recently did after the turbo came loose from a track day at Silverstone is before putting the turbo back on was ported the gt30 int wastegate using a dremel. I also fitted a stronger garrett actuator. The car now is holding boost as expected but needs the Apexi re-tuning.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
I know this would seem a bit of a 'hack' but wouldn't fitting a 'boost machine' solve the creep issue?

In this case no... the boost creep is purely due to the size of the internal wastegate and its inability to flow enough exhaust gas to control the boost at higher RPM...

When we ran the car on the dyno shortly after the car was put back together setting the MBC to around 23/24psi gave a normal boost graph... in the grand scheme of things its manageable as its only an issue under WOT at higher RPM but it does take away any potential boost control we may want to apply at a later date...

If I wanted to or even needed to run at actuator pressure for whatever reason I cannot take the engine much past 4k rpm....

I will be fitting a 38mm TiAL in the near future... its an evolution of the project anyway..

<tuffty/>

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
In this case no... the boost creep is purely due to the size of the internal wastegate and its inability to flow enough exhaust gas to control the boost at higher RPM...

When we ran the car on the dyno shortly after the car was put back together setting the MBC to around 23/24psi gave a normal boost graph... in the grand scheme of things its manageable as its only an issue under WOT at higher RPM but it does take away any potential boost control we may want to apply at a later date...

If I wanted to or even needed to run at actuator pressure for whatever reason I cannot take the engine much past 4k rpm....

I will be fitting a 38mm TiAL in the near future... its an evolution of the project anyway..

<tuffty/>

You can get a external waste gate housing for the exhaust side and judging by your setup with the turbo slung down wards this would be probably a be a simple fit.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK

I had boost spike on my setup and what I recently did after the turbo came loose from a I had boost spike on my setup and what I recently did after the turbo came loose from a track day at Silverstone is before putting the turbo back on was ported the gt30 int wastegate using a dremel. I also fitted a stronger garrett actuator. The car now is holding boost as expected but needs the Apexi re-tuning.

I would be tempted to port mine if I knew without question it would fix the issue... my manifold has provision for an external gate so I may as well use it... the head and turbo need removing what ever route I take so may as well do it right first time..

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
You can get a external waste gate housing for the exhaust side and judging by your setup with the turbo slung down wards this would be probably a be a simple fit.

I did think about it when the turbo was away getting a new housing but would have meant re-working (or potentially remaking) the downpipe plus its very tight with the transfer box and I didn't want to risk any size difference in the turbine housing effecting fitment...

I'll just clamp the existing gate shut, remove the actuator and fit the TiAL... simples :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Not had time to do much to the car recently but had a chance today to do a minor mod I have been planning for a while...

I have been running an MBC for some time now and while it does exactly what it says on the tin, part throttle situations can be a little rough so I really wanted to go back over to the N75 as a method of boost control to see if it would smooth things over...

The first attempt at this resulted in 33psi at 4k rpm... not the best... duty cycle of the N75 needs a tweak in the map then :thumbsups:

After reading about running an MBC in parallel I thought I would give that a go... here is a pic I found on how to connect it all up...

mbc_parallel.jpg

I bought a couple of t-pieces and had a go...

20101120_IMAG0413.jpg

The turbo holds 1.5bar once spooled to the redline... brilliant :)

Spoke to Bill before I left the unit this evening about mapping and will hopefully be looking to get this sorted as soon as he has a slot to fit me in.... ME7.5 ECU's are pretty damn clever and can compensate really well for the differences my recent mods have made but I am still getting no timing pull and there is more power to be had and some improvement in spool...

Only other thing I have done is fitted a JR cone filter after being inspired by seeing the jolly decent OEM look install by Audi Sport member Warleydaddy when he was over for the ASN dyno day at Badger 5 earlier this month. I will of course be developing this a little further and do a write up with pics once I am happy with it all...

<tuffty/>

IbanezDan51

Jan 5, 2010
Bloody hell sorry mate hahahaha Im way to busy thinking about Welly's car when typing...

Is there a reason for going for a Forge UNOS? Whats special about it?

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Righty.... finally found a slot in Bill's (and mine) busy schedule to get and do some work on the car... quick overview of the current situation... I haven't had the mapping tweaked since I fitted the large port and done all the other work, I have got a split PCV pipe that VAG appear to want nearly £40 for and a part throttle issue that dumps fuel when I let off giving multiple misfires and on two occasions a stalled engine in slow moving traffic... wet plugs are a bitch to get going again when you are holding up Cheltenham traffic lol!!...

Anyhoo... up until recently I have been running just an MBC but I want to use the N75 again to try and make the engine more drivable... I have connected this up initially with an MBC in parallel as the N75 seems to want to give me over 30psi!!! this is most likely down to the map now being unsuitable for the enhanced flow configuration of the last round of mods...

Today I put a temp fix in for the PCV pipe as I plan to fabricate a catch tank and plumb it all to that... I have fitted a cone filter which I have been running for a little while now but I have some more work to do to fit the airbox trim cover (not the top half of the OEM airbox) to keep the OEM look under the bonnet... I have also fitted a section into the DV return hose that allows the N75 to vent back to the intake as it was previously venting to atmos... this appears to have improved the part throttle issues I was experiencing so hopefully once the map is sorted drivability will be better...

Plan for tomorrow is to go back to some of the first versions of the map and start working our way back up to get a baseline and tweak from there... the map I have at the moment is a bit of a fraken-map as there were changes to try and overcome issues I had that turned out to be nothing more than vac leaks and the EGT probs which are all now resolved...

One thing is apparent though, I have no timing pull since I finished the last amount of work (not that there was much before anyway) so hopefully I can add some more timing advance and the spool seems better too... certainly doesn't seem to be an end to airflow either... I still have the boost creep/wastegate prob to resolve but once mapped and running the right boost it won't be that noticeable so it can wait until I change the VVT unit sometime in the new year.

I may have a play with the actuator at some point as I am sure CR have sent the turbo out with one rate a tad higher than the one I had before... I need to find a balance between good boost control and low actuator pressure to see it it improves the drivability at all... will have a chat with Forge over that one

Will update with a progress report tomorrow evening..

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Ok... Bill kindly spent a couple of hours today logging my car and playing with stuffe.... Didn't bother swapping maps out at this stage as he wanted to see whats what in the world with this one...

The setup for the runs was current map, N75 connected and MBC (Forge UNOS) in parallel wound right in on the soft spring which gave us 20psi.... did 3 runs including the 312bhp one and ended up with 317bhp with everything nice and warm.... checking the logs there was no timing pull... I had already added 3 deg advance over the map through unisettings previously so Bill added some more... ended up with a figure of 338bhp after a couple of runs... heading in the right direction then :thumbup:

Still no timing pull so added a tad more... ended up running 23 deg advance in total under boost with no pull... and hit 347bhp... not too shabby all things considered and not touched the boost as yet... still holding at 20psi...

Checking the AFR, there is a lean spike on spool then sorts itself out again.... from 5.5k on though it gets rich and at 7k plus its low 11's (ideally needs to be 12.5)... EGT's are low 700's, AIT's are low and inlet mani was not hot to touch after the runs...

Logged loads of stuff and Bill is gonna chew that over to work out where to tweak stuffe etc to get the fuelling back in tow and tweak some other shizzle...

Anyhoo... a promising start with more to come :)

Tuffty_20101229_01_Dyno.jpg

Tuffty_20101229_02_Compound.jpg

Prob not gonna get a chance to do any more until sometime next week but will obviously update the thread when I have some more info...

<tuffty/>

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise