Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

bogdan_wrc

S3 driver
Feb 18, 2009
Eastern Europe
looks wonderful!
a little bit smaller, is mine. the one for CupraR from FORGE, and it is mounted exactly like yours.

what oil are you using..and do you have the brakes upgraded?
i am curently using this oil
http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/4stroke/4stroke13.html
"Recommendated for Audi TT and S3 and all W engines from Volkswagen group."

i am hesitating between Gt28RS with injectors and new exhaust or swaybars and APRacing /Porsche Boxter front brakes....and another trip to Nurburgring..

Last edited:

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
looks wonderful!
a little bit smaller, is mine. the one for CupraR from FORGE, and it is mounted exactly like yours.

what oil are you using..and do you have the brakes upgraded?
i am curently using this oil
http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/4stroke/4stroke13.html
"Recommendated for Audi TT and S3 and all W engines from Volkswagen group."

i am hesitating between Gt28RS with injectors and new exhaust or swaybars and APRacing /Porsche Boxter front brakes....and another trip to Nurburgring..

You got any pics of your FMIC mounted? I am open to ideas at the moment...

I am just using Quantum Platinum 5W40 fully synth oil at the moment... does the job and is cheap enough to drop every 5/6k miles

I have AP Racing 4 pots and 330mm 2 piece discs... I have posted about these somewhere near the beginning on my thread..

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
hmm..until i find the post related to your brakes, can you please tell me how do the brakes feel, compared tot the standard ones?
i have some upgrade, but the our callipers are small
why didn't Audi choose the CupraR brembo 323 calippers? :cry:

Night and day different, pull your face off when you stamp on them... not had any fade as yet using them from triple figure speeds and pedal feel is more or less the same as OEM so not hard and not a long pedal before they start working...

and you recommend GT28 or APRacing as a the next upgrade?

If you are planning to use the car at the Nurburgring then do the brakes first...

Pics of mine > http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234021&page=3#46

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
thank you for the answers, and for offtopic on your topic:)
the track days are still very few for me this year :( so its a difficult choice.
any issues with the fitments of the brakes?
i am not so lucky as you to buy them from ebay, so the only option si from APRacing UK.
on ebay i am not finding anything suited for me.
these are my braking options
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=306941
what do you think?

Only potential issue is wheel clearance on the calipers... the OEM 17" Avus wheel clearence could be measured with a feeler gauge and the OEM 18" RSTT wheels would not go over without spacers.. I already have 10mm spacers on teh front so it wasn't an issue but thats the only thing you need to consider really...

Pretty sure Bill has a set of the AP calipers left on the shelf and carries the brackets... the brackets are setup for the 330mm 2 piece rotors like mine but can be adapted for 323mm LCR doscs if you prefer... he also carries the braided hoses too... might be worth while dropping him a pm to see if he can build a kit up for you...

<tuffty/>

bogdan_wrc

S3 driver
Feb 18, 2009
Eastern Europe
i do not know who Bill is :)
is he the user "ibizacupra" who answered my topic, there?

I measured the OEM 17" wheels clearance with the chart made from the APRacing site, and they fit perfectly.
i do not know it the 330 disc will fit my standard wheels. :(

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
i do not know who Bill is :)
is he the user "ibizacupra" who answered my topic, there?

I measured the OEM 17" wheels clearance with the chart made from the APRacing site, and they fit perfectly.
i do not know it the 330 disc will fit my standard wheels. :(

Yes mate, Bill @ Badger 5 (ibizacupra)...

330mm will go under 17" wheels no probs... here are some pics of my setup on std wheels...
20090913_CRW_3629.jpg

20090913_CRW_3633.jpg

20090913_CRW_3634.jpg

I am using 10mm spacers though in these pics..

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Had a couple of nice little parcels turn up today...
IMAG0588.jpg

and....

IMAG0589.jpg

Big thanks to Alex at AH Fabs for sending me the core to have a proper play with... might have to cut it down a bit but looking forward to it :D

<tuffty/>

610kev

hi tufftybloke .i hope you dont mind me jumping in on your post.i am a mk2 3.2 tt owner ,and my son as a s3 1999/2000 mk1 apy engine .he needs to replace the turbo, does he have a ko4 turbo .he aslo wants to change the manifold and down pipe, oil cooler , where would be the best place to buy these parts .he already as a de cat pipe and blueflame exhaust .then he will get a remap .i hope you could shed any info to help him .i came to your forum from the tt forum who directed me here .i hope i have not offend anyone by jumping on your post thank you kev

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
hi tufftybloke .i hope you dont mind me jumping in on your post.i am a mk2 3.2 tt owner ,and my son as a s3 1999/2000 mk1 apy engine .he needs to replace the turbo, does he have a ko4 turbo .he aslo wants to change the manifold and down pipe, oil cooler , where would be the best place to buy these parts .he already as a de cat pipe and blueflame exhaust .then he will get a remap .i hope you could shed any info to help him .i came to your forum from the tt forum who directed me here .i hope i have not offend anyone by jumping on your post thank you kev

Hi Kev

APY does have a K04 but won't come with the EGT sensor... manifold wise there isn't much out there thats proven to be reliable as yet but I know Bill @ Badger 5 has been looking into these...

I would have a read of the build thread from a lad local to me and subsequently tuned by Bill @ Badger 5 for some inspiration on your S3...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/104103-another-hybrid-conversion-thread.html

Going for a 3" downpipe would dispense with the decat as your current one is designed for the OEM DP... the 3" ones typically come with a 3" decat or 120/200 cell cat and will join up to your blueflame no probs... I think blueflame may do a 3" DP for the S3 but other than that there is the Pipewerx one or the XS Power one (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-sports-decat-group-buy-gauging-interest.html)

XS Power ones have got a rep for being a rubbish fit but Welly has been working with them to sort this and I have seen the progress being made... its a lot cheaper than the Pipewerx one but no idea on reliability... they do look quite well made however all things considered... a bit more info here..
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/102665-email-xs-power.html

As for further advice and getting hold of the parts you should drop Bill @ Badger 5 an email... he is much respected on this (and other forums) and has a lot of experience with this car amongst others... he has his own forum here on SCN (http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Took a day off today to have a play with the core Alex sent over....

My current setup...
20110311_IMAG0594.jpg

...remove the FMIC to make a start... quite a difference in size!
20110311_IMAG0595.jpg

...and quite large on the car too... can see why Alex uses these cores for Cossie's...
20110311_IMAG0596.jpg

...and you can now see that its far too tall although not as tall as I first thought...
20110311_IMAG0598.jpg

...so I cut 3 rows off the top and the thick plate off the bottom which made it fit much better...
20110311_IMAG0602.jpg

20110311_IMAG0605.jpg

First I tried to see about getting the outlets above the crash bar like the pro alloy one...
20110311_IMAG0607.jpg

...but while I can get the outlet in the right place etc there was no easy route past the headlamp washers so went to plan B...

20110311_IMAG0620.jpg

...same as my current setup... which works... I am even going to use 63mm pipe instead of 60mm which appears it will fit with some bumper trimming (not sure what as yet but sure it will work out fine...)
20110311_IMAG0612.jpg

20110311_IMAG0615.jpg

Now I know whats what all I need to do is to get over to see Alex at AH Fabs with the modded core with all the pics etc so he can get it built up for a test fit...

Its very tight but thats fine as I can still do the bottom 2 screws up on the bumper which is a good sign and still retain the foglights...

I may still have to loose one more row due to the tightness with the height of the core but that still would then give me 21 rows over the current 13 rows and a little more surface area as its wider plus the 63mm pipework with joins up nice and tight to the 60mm bellows joiners I have...

Will try and sort this in the next couple of weeks but I don't have any more time off until next month now as I have used all this years holidays... mostly so I can work on the car LOL...

I still need to clean up the new head and decide if I can be bothered to do any mild porting work on it as I will need to book 'another' week off to get that changed... Bill has also got some followers in just in case and I also need to investigate another 'pressure valve' that is apparently in the oil filter housing that is tied into oil pressure up top... hoping the next head change will sort it all out though..

More as and when I get there...

<tuffty/>

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Looks nice tufty, I have just accepted a job in stonehouse so maybe I can see this around sometime :D once I've started. Where would you guys reccomend to live in the stonehouseish area.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Looks nice tufty, I have just accepted a job in stonehouse so maybe I can see this around sometime :D once I've started. Where would you guys reccomend to live in the stonehouseish area.

Stonehouse is ok, Eastington, and the Stanleys(Kings and Leonard) are all close and nice

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Had the day off today to do a few little jobs... still have the top end rattle and some say it may be due to a valve in the oil filter housing that bolts to the side of the block so I though I may as well take it off and give it a clean to see if that helps... wasn't convinced that it would be the miracle cure tbh but had to eliminate it as a possibility...

Came off easy enough and on inspection the valve in question didn't look as if it was a problem... here is my somewhat dirty housing next to one I removed from Bill's retired race engine...
IMAG0643.jpg

...the oil retention valve...
IMAG0644.jpg

...and where it sits...
IMAG0645.jpg

...this valve is supposed to keep oil int the head to prevent rattling on first start... Bill said I could fit his (much cleaner) one to eliminate it as an issue... sadly it didn't appear to make any difference at all... so next job is to remove the head and swap it out with the one I recently acquired...
IMAG0588.jpg

...this will be built using new followers this time too so fingers crossed its all good...

With that disappointing (but not unexpected) result I moved on to cleaning up the pipework for the MBC/N75 as it was a mess and relocated the N249 valve so I could bin the metal bracket allowing Audi easier access for when they change my coilpacks under the recent recall... the less they have to touch on my car the happier I will be...

Started by extending the wiring for the N249...
IMAG0646.jpg

...then with a slight modification I routed the wiring to the little plastic box on the bulkhead and fitted the N249 inside...
IMAG0647.jpg

...top back on and all hidden and out of the way...
IMAG0648.jpg

...making this top of the engine a neater place once I had finished the pipe work...
IMAG0651.jpg

...I also moved the DV to the back of the engine bay as I get a funny noise on its operation so was thinking it was maybe due to its location...

Before...
IMAG0383.jpg

After...
IMAG0649.jpg

Sadly that didn't make any difference either... noise is still there... so, hoping its related to the running issues as a result of the rattly top end and pressure drop across the FMIC... will get those things sorted first then worry about it after..

On the subject of the FMIC, the core is now at AH Fabs and should be ready for me to fit next Friday... will of course update the thread when done...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
A little bit of good news after yesterdays disappointing day... I have found the problem with the fans...

Bill put me onto this one as he had a similar issue with his Ibiza when it was a road car... the fuses on top of the battery while looking intact hide a little secret where the 30amp fuse for the fans sit... over a period of time the connection degrades an so more current is drawn... not enough to blow the fuse but enough to get it all hot and unless you look hard you may not notice it straight away...

Here is what mine looked like..
IMAG0657.jpg

...and when I managed to prise the fuse out with a pair of pliers!!...
IMAG0658.jpg

So, cleaned up the fuse blade and took a needle file and 180 grit wet and dry to the terminals and now I have fans, after run pump and aircon working!!

I think I will replace the fuse box in the coming months though as its a little bit of a mess but Bill has a doner Ibiza at his house that suffered from the same issue apart from it caught actual fire!! this is not a good place to be and seems that it isn't a marque or model specific issue...

Check yours today and if your after run pump/aircon/fans are not working or working intermittently then looks like this could well be the culprit...

The new part is around £50+vat btw...

<tuffty/>

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.