Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I've removed the same downpipe from a lcr with no problems. Cut off the fixing leg thats inserted into the rubber mount, slide the downpipe off the turbo studs and pull the downpipe up and out. no need to cut it up or drop the subframe unless you want too.

4wd transfer box in here tho as well which you dont have on a 2wd leon

Jun 1, 2007
I'll look into cutting off the mount as that is defo in the way but I suspect it still won't as simple as the LCR... mines a quattro and the propshaft is in the way...

<tuffty/>

sure you can get it out with removing the prop bolts and moving it the the side my mate never had any bother once he did this

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
nice build will be very interested how this holds out with standard head as mine has a standard head on at the mo but has scat rods and new bam pistons, seen this up there in february when i was up there gettin mine mapped will be goin back soon for some more mapping cant wait.

keep up the good work

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Just dropped into Bills tonight to arrange some stuff and the brackets for the calipers had arrived so while I was there I thought I may as well fit them up to see what they look like. The more observant of you will notice the disc is actually the wrong one for the drivers side (grooves are the wrong way around) but this was purely to test the bracket fitment.

20090908_IMG00089-20090908-2019.jpg

So Bill now has brackets and braided hoses suitable for these calipers. He is also going to do some for the cheaper 323mm LCR discs making this a very cheap alternative to Brembos using the calipers I bought from ebay.

Back on it tomorrow though, plenty to do :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Busy day, DP was very tight and tried various suggestions on how to remove this but ended up cutting the mount on the DP and undoing the propshaft to move it to one side... not as easy as it looked to be honest as I had to lever the engine/gearbox forward to disengage the prop fully from the transfer box.

20090909_CRW_3572.jpg

20090909_CRW_3583.jpg

All the OEM stuff is now off ready for the new turbo/mani/DP/TIP

20090909_CRW_3575.jpg

Finished cleaning the sump and rocker cover too... AVS blows goats!!! don't do it kids!!!

Before...
20090905_IMG00079-20090905-1518.jpg

...after...
20090909_CRW_3592.jpg

... and finally a pic of the brackets and pipes for the AP Racing ebay specials....
20090909_CRW_3589.jpg

...to be continued... etc...

<tuffty/>

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Nice project.
Are you sure the rotors are the wrong way around?
These are machined (usually) to have the grooves swept toward the calliper for bigger bite.
A very good way to learn about your car with expert guidance.
Bill never fails to impress me.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Nice project.
These are machined (usually) to have the grooves swept toward the calliper for bigger bite.

You are right about the grooves however the caliper is fitted leading edge (front) so the grooves are the wrong way. Its not obvious from the pic which way the car is facing :)

Yes it is and both Bill and Tony have been absolute stars with all the advice they have given me (and occasional extra set of hands)

Certainly wouldn't have got this far along without his support and I am truly indebted to him.

<tuffty/>

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Nice project.

the internal venting is what determins the direction over the grooves.. which in these particular disks makes the grooves lean fwd (aggressive)

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Fair play, the xtra components in the way of the downpipe compared to a LCR does make it a tighter job. Another hurdle overcome.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Casual day cleaning the head and inlet mani, fitting the caliper brackets and braided hoses and playing with the fitment of the turbo and its pipework...

Clean head and inlet mani
20090911_CRW_3610.jpg

Brakes more or less done bar bleeding and fitting the discs
20090911_CRW_3604.jpg

Studs and pipes fitted to the turbo to see if there are any probs and there was. Some of the fittings needed modding to fit and the supplied oil drain pipe wasn't for a transverse engine so gonna have to make something to fit properly...
20090911_CRW_3593.jpg

20090911_IMG00092-20090911-1153.jpg

20090911_IMG00093-20090911-1230.jpg

20090911_CRW_3594.jpg

20090911_CRW_3595.jpg

Cleared a nice space for it all to fit :)
20090911_CRW_3598.jpg

Should have the head on this weekend and a start on the custom TIP. There is also some work to do to get the comp outlet connected to the cahrge pipe but Bill and I have a few ideas for that :icon_thumright:

<tuffty/>

DaveV6

interesting thread.
does the "pag parts" manifold have a good reliability record only ive never heard of them before, how much are they and were do you get them from ?

Dave

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
pagparts.com and yes they have a good rep and are reliable
available from badger5... dealt with pagparts quietly for several years now

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
What about downpipe downpipe down the passenger side bill like the Pag kits normally has it? Would the inlet clear the mount?

Thanks for the pics tho. :)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
What about downpipe downpipe down the passenger side bill like the Pag kits normally has it? Would the inlet clear the mount?

Thanks for the pics tho. :)

comp housing is bigger diameter than hotside.. no chance I see of it being anything but worse clearance to this mount.

as m0rk says tho, making another mount is very viable.
thinking something like flat to the block and L shape at the bottom with a VT type g'box stubby engine mount on the same tower.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members