Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
your turbo is'nt same as tufftys... thats not what you meant is it?
yours is billet comp

Both are 3071's right. True mine has currently v1 wheel on and I'll dyno it at 2.2 bars next week. Then install catcam 3651 intake, v2 wheel and 72 housing. But as v1 wheel is a copy from cast there shouldn't be much between them... ? I've never had cast comp wheel.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it would wheelspin more from a standing start on fwd.. Get some sticky tyres on and you have a chance of it helping things... fwd remains traction limited on road rubber

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Disappointing.....

20130331_103422-1.jpg

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Bill (the actual real life super hero) has once again come to rescue... welded on in situe which was no easy task...

20130331_154414.jpg

...this will hold it properly now, more weld than originally on there...

It has got me thinking though.... seriously debating on selling on the turbo/mani/DP etc as a kit and getting a TSR tubular mani, GTX2867r and Tial 0.86 hotside... I was never after mahoosive figures but like the idea of the GTX2867r as its compressor map is very similar to the GT3071r and in theory at least should be capable of 400hp...

If I get a serious offer for my kit I may pursue it... but for the meantime at least I am mobile again so happy times :)

<tuffty/>

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Great work yet again by Bill.

Am I right in thinking the GTX2867r has a faster spool than the GT30 or have I mixed them up? I would imagine it reaching 400bhp no problem especially with your setup!

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Its surprising the crack was on the wastegate and not the actual turbo flange. I'd be happy with that welding on a bench let alone behind an engine in situ, well done Bill. This is a dilema for you Tuffty, to upgrade or not. I've decided that when my V2 mani cracks it will be a TSR mani replacement either a BT mani or K04 but with them both being around the same price i think it will be a step into the shadowy world of BT. I've seen the TSR mani's in the flesh and they are solidly built and i'm sure you could spec a bigger wastegate port csa.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Top mount FTW! :)

Why not look at the HTA options like mine too? I would imagine my hta3071r would give decent spool on a smaller hot side on a 1.8 motor...

I did consider it but have been reading a little on the GTX2867r... it looks a particularly good turbo that seems to bring the benefits of the GT28 and the GT30 together... plus its a little different to the normal run of the mill setup...

Compressor maps look comparable side by side...

GTX2867vsGT3071compmap.jpg

<tuffty/>

Prebs

Dec 28, 2004
Norway, Bergen
Bin doing several search for the GTX2867 and -63 fitted to 1.8t engines but they dont seem be flowing in the community. Heard great reviews from the JAP lads tho

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
The hotside choices from Garret seem to be limited to T25 internal gate which is a stretch for 400hp... I would use a Tial v-band hotside if I did go for it... choice of 0.64 and 0.86 ar (same as the Garret options) but externally gated so flow better anyway...

I found this earlier..
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/500623-GTX2867-86-A-R-vs-64-A-R-Turbine-Dyno

...and the build thread is here...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/473730-(drumnjuny-s)-GTX2867R-Big-Turbo-Build

...this is the setup, its a 2.0TFSI but the turbo is a T25 internal gate which I think is going to restrict it a bit and I would suspect that most builds have been based on this type of hotside
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Turbo-Build?p=7695397&viewfull=1#post7695397

This is the hotside I would consider...
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-018&Category_Code=TTH

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Spent Monday playing with my PC in prep for a small upgrade, only car related thing I did was put the new tax disc in the Golf and had time to think about where to go next.... pricing up the GTX28 and all the other stuff I would need has realistically made my mind up... I am looking at around 1k min on top of selling on my gear and all the other unforseen costs that I haven't factored in as yet as I couldn't see much point in going to any more detail once I had worked out the basic hardware costs...

Obviously at the time I was a little cheesed off with it all but the car drove lovely on the way home from Bills Sunday and after all the work we have put in getting the car this far it would be rude not to see it through...

So... I have a list of stuff to sort out short term, VT mounts are ordered, I am going to poly other bits and replace some of the worn running gear components to freshen her up a bit, get the WMI installed and sort the DP out as its still knocking on the rack currently...

Long term I am going back to looking at fabricating a tubular manifold and also upgrading my current CHRA with (yes James ;P) a billet compressor wheel...

<tuffty/>

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Long term I am going back to looking at fabricating a tubular manifold and also upgrading my current CHRA with (yes James ;P) a billet compressor wheel...

<tuffty/>

You know it makes sense, will be interesting to see what difference a billet wheel makes on your setup. IMO they are the way forward for turbochargers.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise