Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
been a good read this so far. good luck with it further. keep up the good work and having the pics defo allows me to see whats happening and wanting a big turbo job done. nice one ;-)

gulzar.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
the comp housing was well and truly hitting the transfer box!! :censored:

Don't forget that the manifold will expand a bit when it gets hot, I don't know how much, or in what direction, but it would be worth making sure there's clearance. Obviously balanced against taking too much material off!

INA

Garrett Super STAR!
Dec 8, 2007
www.inaengineering.com
That set up has such poor fitment it is not even funny...BTDT
Tight feed for oil restrictor
cant get @ the oil lines
turbocharger has no room to get @ the studs
compressor housing hits the transfer case....
and on and on....
I am surprised Bill sold you that.
That is what spawned development of our own manifold.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
That set up has such poor fitment it is not even funny...BTDT
Tight feed for oil restrictor
cant get @ the oil lines
turbocharger has no room to get @ the studs
compressor housing hits the transfer case....
and on and on....
I am surprised Bill sold you that.
That is what spawned development of our own manifold.

Bill was told it would fit a transverse engined quattro, we knew it would be tight but didn't expect the issues that happened.

By all accounts he has seen Jabba installs using IHI turbos that are worse....

Whats your manifold like? Got any info?

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Casual day today as I know I am not gonna finish the car before Bill goes away and I am back at work next week :(

Priority was to fettle the transfer box and comp housing and jiggle the mani about to try and give me more clearance.

After a little playing about I was ready to try it out. Lifted the head into the engine bay (quite heavy with a GT30 turbo on it) and located it gasketless on the dowels... so far so good... previous attempts had the head not sitting down on the back, now it rocked pivoting on the back... looking good... had a butchers underneath and result!! it clears and the head sits square on the block...

Tight but more than enough clearance :D
(not massively obvious from this angle I know but trust me its there...)
20090916_CRW_3695.jpg

I then moved on to have a look at how to fab the TIP... I wanted to use a hump hose off the turbo initially so that it would help prevent vibrations from the engine (stiffer mounts now) destroying MAF's however....

20090916_CRW_3677.jpg

...exiting straight out the turbo inlet isn't an option... too small a gap for 3" pipework and straight into the gear linkage... everything about this build seems to present its own challenges :)

So I tried a different approach by coming up and out of the turbo at 90 degrees towards the back then work it back to the airbox. Bill came up with an idea for a variation and it looks like the TIP will consist of a couple of 90 degree silicon hoses for the MAF and turbo with a 90 degree alloy pipe and a 45 degree alloy pipe to make up the rest.

Pics of the TIP mock up...
20090916_CRW_3692.jpg

20090916_CRW_3693.jpg

While I was waiting for Bill to pop into the workshop after work, I thought I would do something about the coil pack wiring as quite frankly it was shocking.....
20090916_CRW_3690.jpg

Heat had got the better of the insulation so I patched the breaks up with tape and reloomed it...

Bill finished work and turned up at the workshop, had a quick look around the turbo and said that it looks ok so....

20090916_CRW_3694.jpg

...Woo (actual) Hoo!!! the head is now bolted on... phew!!! next problem please!! :D

tomorrows job... connecting stuff up and getting some bits together for the TIP...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
haha ill pop down some time and have a gander , is bill in work the weekend?

no mate... he is off on hols for a week... I 'may' be there Saturday if there is anything left for me to do prior to DP and TIP fabrication... depends how the next couple of days go... wanna see if I can start mocking the bits for the TIP up...

The pic of change cables in the way of the tip takes me back.

Here's how I solved it.....
P1010018.jpg

Nice... I will take it into consideration.... gotta love BT conversions :)

<tuffty/>

INA

Garrett Super STAR!
Dec 8, 2007
www.inaengineering.com
Bill was told it would fit a transverse engined quattro, we knew it would be tight but didn't expect the issues that happened.

By all accounts he has seen Jabba installs using IHI turbos that are worse....

Whats your manifold like? Got any info?

<tuffty/>
Too late for you now but definitely a manifold designed to work in RHD applications be it 02M 4WD box in an Ibiza with a rear motor mount bracket or a 02M FWD box in a Leon with a side mount engine bracket.
FWIW I was told the exact same thing and was going to develop the downpipes for said kit before realizing I was neck deep with parts I couldn't use.
I would not sell one of these kits to a customer if it was free and thats the harsh reality.I am surprised said vendor is STILL selling them after pictures I showed him AND told him this would not work...
Oh well.

instead of hollow words, show something then.
instead of slagging others off, do something then.... other thank talking about it

There several aspects of what Pag supplied I am personally dissapointed with without doubt and have told them so.

Not having seen what you have been talking about for months, who knows what issues and deficiencies your kit of parts may have.....

If you actually have something to send which I can validate against what I know and have seen thus far on these installs, I will look at it for you to confirm... BUT you simply poking criticism at someone else's offerings when you have'nt let anyone else try yours, is simply being an ass Sam.. sorry but thats how you are coming across to me.

maybe I should post your email to me of this morning so the wider audience can see what you really say... eh?

post it :)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Due to the change in design approach for the TIP, I took a trip to Forge this morning to get a couple of 76mm black elbows then returned to the workshop for another day in the heady world of BT conversions...

Casual day again today, just essentially bolting stuff back on. I have been cleaning bits as I go then fitting it on and putting on pipes etc... One thing I did do was fit the phenolic insulator for the inlet mani.
20090917_CRW_3701.jpg

This stands the mani off a little so the support bracket underneath the mani no longer lines up so I will come up with a fix for that sometime. This will also make the wiring for the injectors appear too short, this extra height coupled with the fact the new injectors are longer will mean I will have to re jig the wiring loom a little to give me the extra reach.

The other prob I had with this was the throttle body hose no longer reached enough to fit properly...
20090917_CRW_3703.jpg

...so I will look at the tomorrow now.

One last thing I did was fit the proper bolts for the bells and rotors as they turned up today.
20090917_CRW_3705.jpg

So here it is so far... you may notice a silver cylinder by the cam belt cover... thats the fuel filter which I am relocating as I want to fit the inline pump where the filter currently is located (see a previous post for more info). Its an Ibiza one as the S3 one is massive... this should tuck away nicely...
20090917_CRW_3702.jpg

<tuffty/>

INA

Garrett Super STAR!
Dec 8, 2007
www.inaengineering.com
maybe I should post your email to me of this morning so the wider audience can see what you really say... eh?
Go right ahead Bill....

This email?This one?
I will do you the honours....
"
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/tufftybloke/Random/Car/S3/Build/20090913_CRW_3640.jpg

That’s XXXXX’s kit…the same shitty kit I have here and was developing.
Why did you buy it from him?"

You went behind my back like you always have and started running your mouth.You saw pictures of the kit and say "ah I know where that manifolds come from".
Do what you are doing Bill but please do not contact me as you are nothing but a **** stirrer.
Congrats :clap:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise