Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Stopped off at Bill's after work to get some more done...

First job was to helicoil the iffy cam cover fixing.. the offending fixing... (in the most awkward place!!)
20140722_165353_HDR.jpg

....and the offending thread that came out with the bolt!
20140722_165314_HDR.jpg

So covered everything to prevent swarf getting where it shouldn't and drilled the hole ready for the tap
20140722_165805.jpg

Wanged in a helicoil...
20140722_173518.jpg

...and then proceeded to put the engine bay back together :)
20140722_195513_HDR.jpg

Tomorrow I need to sort out the inlet manifold so I can paint it and refit it

After that I need to spanner check the car, bleed the clutch, fill with oil and coolant then top up the gearbox oil

Happy days :D

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Awesome updates as always! You must be looking forward to getting back in the drivers seat.

Thanks mate, yeah... can't actual wait lol...

Finally!! :D

20140724_184329.jpg

Started her up... all good... fluid levels topped up and then check fault codes.... bugger!
20140724_191559.jpg

Would appear I have made the rooky mistake and allowed the cam pulley to slip back... good job I don't have a silly damper to reset lol

So I put the covers back on and said good night lol
20140724_195301.jpg

...reeeeeeeeeeeeeally not happy with the inlet though...
20140724_195332_HDR.jpg

Will see what it looks like in the daylight but once she is back home I think I might take it off again and redo it...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Phew!... what a day... first things first... BIG thanks to Bill for his patience and the use of a ramp all week (even though I have only been there in the evenings and weekend)...

Started the day with getting the engine set at TDC to see how far I am out on the cambelt.... set the bottom end using the dial gauge...
IMAG0018.jpg

...and checking the flywheel...
IMAG0017.jpg

...all good there... checked the cam pulley....
IMAG0016.jpg

...hummmm... usually its really obvious when a tooth out but this looked almost right which is most likely why I didn't pick it up when fitting... so decided to check the crank pulley...
IMAG0025.jpg

Ah!!.... this can only mean one thing :(

So to confirm we knocked up a crank pulley holdy tool... Bill turned down an old crank pulley which (shock actual horror) was made from cheese rather than metal...
IMAG0026.jpg

A bit of box section and a hole cutter...
IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

A bit of MIG'age later and bingo...
IMAG0029.jpg

...which then made removing the crank bolt a doddle...
IMAG0031.jpg

Removed the pulley and sure enough, just as I suspected....
IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0033_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

The sudden loading of the engine from the gearchange incident had sheared the dowels and allowed the crank pulley to rotate back... the thing is made from cheese and is soft as sh*te... disappointing...

As luck would have it Bill has an Integrated Engineering billet (actual steel) crank pulley and ARP crank bolt...
IMAG0035.jpg

ARP is a special to IE apparently but meh... its manly++
IMAG0039.jpg

...then another 'issue' presented itself...
IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

Square peg, round hole springs to mind!!... IE state its an interference fit and needs pressing on... not sure how practical this is realistically as the front crank seal may have something to say about that!!... so after a little creative fettling the pulley finally fitted without having to whack it with Thors hammer...
IMAG0045.jpg

Settled it in with a couple of goes with the gun then backed off and torqued to 78ftlbs (as I used loctite) and prepared for the last part of the torque sequence, a 1/4 turn!... doesn't sound much but ARP bolts aren't really stretchy... so using the crank pulley holdy tool I used this to get the 1/4 turn in...
IMAG0043.jpg

Its a 3/4" bar with adaptor to 1/2" for the socket as it an imperial size which Bill only has in 1/2"... for perspective the smaller ratchet is a normal sized 1/2" one ;P

TDC'd everything up and checked the timing marks on the damper
IMAG0049.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!... get in!!... started the engine, cleared the codes... let her warm up then switched off... started her up again and checked codes... nowt, nada, feck all!!!...

Happy++ :D

<tuffty/>

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Wow i'm surprised that pulley slipped and managed to shear two pins :doh:.... lucky Bill had one of those fancy new interference pulleys. I wanted one for my build but they don't make them for the TDI crank.

I've just retorqued my ARP main pulley bolt this weekend as during the build i used oil on the threads but nothing on the face between the pulley and bolt...when i was tightening that 1/4 turn extra (like you with a breaker and 2 foot of pipe) it was chattering and banging. It was burning away in my mind so i loosened it off and put some ARP lube on the threads / and a tiny bit on the face and it torqued up so much easier, the last 1/4 turn was sooooo much easier and without any strange noises.

Anyhow well done sorting it mate, now go enjoy it..... maybe its time for a SQS sequential shifter :rofl:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
handy for tuffty I have stock on shelf for builds "to do" so it helped on the day so to speak..
but I do now need to replace them asap to allow the actual builds they were bought in for. (several BT builds ongoing here currently.. strokers, hybrid k04, HTA3071,GT35's(x2), HTA35 also... busy as fcuk...

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Small update... new brakes have arrived :)

IMAG0075.jpg

... now some 'meh' news... after driving her home last weekend the engine bay was a little smokey which I expected a little from stuff burning off but thought it would be over with by now... turns out the cam cover gasket was leaking... this was brand new from GSF for the engine build... so this weekend I took the cover off and resealed it just in case... got home and... more smoke :(
IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

Arse!!... so have now ordered an OE replacement and will do the the VVT tensioner again too...have ordered some new bolts for that after the previous snapped bolt incident I decided to retire them..

Have also ordered some genuine aero blades to replace the cheap ones I have currently as they make a horrible 'cracking' noise in operation, have also ordered a replacement cup holder as mines busted and a replacement ESP switch as mines a little worn... to prevent me wearing out the new switch I have finally coded out the ESP... I plan to use the old ESP switch as the basis for a map switching 'switch'... it appears to be a momentary push to make switch which is ideal...

I even managed to DA over the bonnet and wings making a start on the detail she so needs...

The 'to-do' list never seems to end though and I am not going to be rushing anything now... inlet and cam cover was rushed and they looked sh*te... this probably means I won't have her sorted out before AITP...

<tuffty/>

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Very interested in the ESP code out, always thought it cuts in far too early especially when on track.
Who coded it out for you? I was aware someone had done the r32's but not S3's or leons

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Very interested in the ESP code out, always thought it cuts in far too early especially when on track.
Who coded it out for you? I was aware someone had done the r32's but not S3's or leons

One of my facebook friends I know from Audi Sport pointing me in the direction of this thread..
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/171698-mk20-abs-controller-soft-coding.html

I did have the info before but misplaced it...

You need to go into the coding section of the ABS module... in my case my soft coding was 18448... I took 2048 away from this to get 16400 as the new code...

Pressing the ESP button now does nothing more than momentarily flashes the ESP light...

I'd have a proper read through though as there are several links in that thread that worth researching..

It should be the same coding for an LCR but not sure if having a haldex makes a difference to the original soft coding...

The number itself represents a binary bitmask so each bit in its binary equivalent represents a feature to turn on or off... used to use a similar method to handle website permissions back in the days when I did web dev...

This only disables ESP from what I can see... there are other options to disable the other features EDS (electronic diff lock) and ASR (traction control) but not sure as yet to what extent these have an effect on the car as wheelspin is not something I really suffer from...

I believe further re-coding is required just to reduce the ABS controller to a basic ABS unit

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Day off from work and shock horror!!! working on the car again! :)

One day I will actually take time off and not be working on the car... although cleaning and detailing is not classified as working on the car so thats still allowed :D

Cam cover off again... did the VVT tensioner gasket too without taking cams out... trickier but doable..
IMAG0083.jpg

All back together, warmed up and no signs of a leak... phew!!!
IMAG0085-1.jpg

Next job was to fit the new rotors and DS2500's... my old rotors are actually from Bill's Ibiza and were pretty tired to be fair...
IMAG0087.jpg

Cleaned up the bells and used new bolts as the last lot had been used twice now (not recommended)...
IMAG0089.jpg

Had to shave a little off the edges of the pad backing plate to get them to slide nicely but all went back together...
IMAG0088.jpg

...unfortunately there is a little rubbing somewhere when turning right (of all things!)... I think the new rotors are just catching the caliper somewhere so will look at that tomorrow :(

New ESP switch and cup holder turned up
IMAG0090.jpg

Now have a working cup holder woohoo!... (I had hot glued the old one shut as it wouldn't lock...)
IMAG0097.jpg

Old ESP switch...
IMAG0091.jpg

New ESP switch...
IMAG0092.jpg

...now I can hear you asking... why change the ESP switch when I have just disabled it.... good question and if I need to answer that then you obviously don't know me very well LOL

...this of course leaves me with a spare switch to use as a map switcher... plan is to mod a switch blank to fit on the switch in place of the ESP cover and fit it next to the ESP switch... OE and stealth :)
IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

Happy days (apart from the brake rubbing of course)... on the way home I dropped in to my mates and got the aircon re-gassed... this thankfully went without a hitch and now its nice and cool in the car

Other things that have happened this week... ordered a pair of R32 ARBs... have gone for the normal 23mm F and 19mm R... I know there will be discussions about this choice knowing JoJo had gone for the 21mm front but tbh I am not really that bothered and will give this a go... if it doesn't handle in a way I feel safe to drive her then I'll re-think but I have driven an R32 ARB'd S3 and liked it so meh...

I have also ordered a bunch of super-pro bushes to sort the rest of the suspension out... caster increase bushes for the front arms, ARB bushes, steering rack bush and I already have the bushes for the rear arms...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
TPS dropped off a couple of items this morning :)
IMAG0102.jpg

Found the issue with the brakes... the rotors are a little wider than my previous ones and this set them slightly off centre to the caliper...

Inboard side...
IMAG0105.jpg

Outboard side...
IMAG0106.jpg

So got some stainless washers...
IMAG0107.jpg

...and spaced the caliper bracket back inboard more which centred the caliper to the rotor...
IMAG0110.jpg

All sorted :)

While I was doing this Bill was detailing the Badgerwagon... (apparently I am a bad influence!)
IMAG0112.jpg

That done I cracked on with modding the button... out came the dremel :)
IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

However.... bit of a gap... bugger...
IMAG0115.jpg

The cover needs to sit over a bit on the switch...
IMAG0116.jpg

...sooooo... filed a bit out of the cover so it would sit on the switch in the right position...
IMAG0118.jpg

Fits better...
IMAG0119.jpg

Will hot glue the cover on once I have sorted the wiring from the switch..

Seeing as Bill was busy detailing the Badgerwagon I just had to give the S3 a wipe over (he is such a bad influence!! LOL)
IMAG0120.jpg

<tuffty/>

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Ha ha, Bill caught red handed doing the bling thing.:D
I don't feel so bad now bringing the shiny cupra r into the workshop now.;)

It was staged.. "honest" - lol

Well. no

Caught in the 'rare' act of (a)touching badgerwagen at all and (b)polishing it (first time its seen polish to its Trophy Yellow paint since it was painted in 2008!)

Last edited:

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Had a play with the switch on Sunday...

Didn't have a plug for it so cut off the surrounding plastic...
IMAG0123.jpg

...and soldered on some wires...
IMAG0130.jpg

...using a wiring diagram for the ESP switch to double check I had the right terminals buzzed out :)
IMAG0126-1.jpg

Thats as far as I have got so far although I have since hot glued the cap on and fitted the switch in place... I just need to sort the rest of the wiring so it just sends the appropriate signal to the ECU and not switch the brake lights :)

...oh... and these turned up today :)
IMAG0135.jpg

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Was getting a little antsy about detailing the car especially seeing loads of facebookists posting pics of their clean cars... sooooo...

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

Happier now... although not completed yet... leather needs feeding and wheels need to be removed and cleaned along with under the arches of course lol :D

<tuffty/>

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Even though I no longer drive my lcr 225, this makes me want to get it out the garage and fix everything, also miss my auq s3 :(. Fantastic build thread, and have thoroughly enjoyed keeping up to date with it. Can't wait to see the rest of the updates, keep up the amazing work fella

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Even though I no longer drive my lcr 225, this makes me want to get it out the garage and fix everything, also miss my auq s3 :(. Fantastic build thread, and have thoroughly enjoyed keeping up to date with it. Can't wait to see the rest of the updates, keep up the amazing work fella

Thanks dude... hopefully should have some more updates soon when I get the ARBs and bushes done and get the mapping finished...

I am also waiting on one of these...
http://www.fis-control.de/index_en.html

...and looking to retro fit an RNS-E headunit

<tuffty/>