Auto Dipped Beam Headlights won't turn off automatically

Joe1110

Mar 19, 2018
Hey,

So, as the title says the dipped beam headlights on my Seat Leon won't turn off when in auto mode. I noticed on the drive home from work today that the map in my digital dash was in dark mode, as though the headlights are on, when I got to a set of lights, I could see the headlight reflected in the car in front of me. So, I turned the dial from auto to '0' and sure enough, they turn off and the map turned back to daytime mode.

But, then I get a message saying 'please switch on dipped beam headlight' appear on the digital dash.

Keep in mind that it is broad daylight right now, I hadn't been in any tunnels or poorly lit roads or anything like that. I've just got home, turned the engine off, turned it back on and same issue, the auto headlights immediately come back on despite the fact that it's clearly bright enough not to need them.

Anyone had anything similar or know what it might be?

The car is less that 12 months old as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4193.jpg
    IMG_4193.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_9959.jpg
    IMG_9959.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180

rocket3

Oct 9, 2017
Stevenage
Hey,

So, as the title says the dipped beam headlights on my Seat Leon won't turn off when in auto mode. I noticed on the drive home from work today that the map in my digital dash was in dark mode, as though the headlights are on, when I got to a set of lights, I could see the headlight reflected in the car in front of me. So, I turned the dial from auto to '0' and sure enough, they turn off and the map turned back to daytime mode.

But, then I get a message saying 'please switch on dipped beam headlight' appear on the digital dash.

Keep in mind that it is broad daylight right now, I hadn't been in any tunnels or poorly lit roads or anything like that. I've just got home, turned the engine off, turned it back on and same issue, the auto headlights immediately come back on despite the fact that it's clearly bright enough not to need them.

Anyone had anything similar or know what it might be?

The car is less that 12 months old as well.
I havn't read the handbook but when I use my auto dip I have to toggle the dip/main lever untill the auto dip logo displays in the dash - then it works really well. Don't forget the system only works at speeds above 40 mph. Hope this helps.

Joe1110

Mar 19, 2018
I havn't read the handbook but when I use my auto dip I have to toggle the dip/main lever untill the auto dip logo displays in the dash - then it works really well. Don't forget the system only works at speeds above 40 mph. Hope this helps.

Hey, sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough. So, this isn't the auto full beam, but just dipped beam lights that come on when it's generally just dark, regardless of speed. Those lights where on my entire journey home, despite still being bright, when clearly only the DRLs should be on.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Do you have OBD11, have you scanned for errors?

Can only think that you have an ambient light sensor failure.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
What time of day was this? I have mine set to come on 'early' in the menu, and they do come on even when it's relatively bright and even sometimes sunny outside. Not a bad thing. Can you check if they are set to come on 'early', 'normal' or 'late' in the main centre screen settings?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members