Auto Lights retrofit?

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
New windscreen for starters, then there are all the sensors etc mounted above the rear view mirror and the wiring for them. Then there will be an ECU to control it all, If the ECU is fitted it may be a case of enabling the functions, but there is a good chance it is not fitted.

I wouldn't have said it was going to be easy mate!

moomoomoo

Mar 30, 2014
Also the light switch by right your knee. Needs to have 'Auto' on it.

Last edited:

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
I know this is an old post but for the benefit of people searching about this mod, it is possible. I've just done it and all you need to do is replace humidity sensor behind the mirror with a combined light and rain sensor (no wiring needed and around £40), a light switch with Auto position (around £60) and a few setting changes in VCDS. Not only is this a useful mod but it adds an extra factory option to your car which should help with resale.

I'm going to post a full guide on how to do this mod soon.

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
I know this is an old post but for the benefit of people searching about this mod, it is possible. I've just done it and all you need to do is replace humidity sensor behind the mirror with a combined light and rain sensor (no wiring needed and around £40), a light switch with Auto position (around £60) and a few setting changes in VCDS. Not only is this a useful mod but it adds an extra factory option to your car which should help with resale.

I'm going to post a full guide on how to do this mod soon.

well done mate

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
I'll post the part numbers when I get home. I have auto wipers, auto lights, window close when raining, coming home and leaving home all fully functional :)

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
Nope, just got the standard mirror. You can take the mirror off quite easily and swap out the sensor. Once you do this the auto wipers will work without any further modding but some VCDS magic is needed for the light functions.

Last edited:

bobajob69

Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
Also interested in this! Part numbers and an idiots guide would be awesome....

I came from a mk4 Golf FSI with auto lights and wipers. Lights worked well but wipers had a mind of their own!

That was a 57 plate and tech has moved on but i'm currently happy with the intermittent manual wipers unless the sensor has improved?

Miss auto lights badly, just leave dipped permanently on as they switch off with the key.....

Jack Jumpin

Jul 19, 2007
Any update on this Tom_91 ?

Even part numbers would be good so I can get them ordered.

Cheers
JJ

Last edited:

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish
This is the sensor I bought : 5Q0955547A
ebay item:191693367238

And the light switch : 5G0941431AF
Ebay item :171953560005

Sorry couldn't post links yet

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk