Automatic Headlights Retrofit

slunat

Dec 21, 2017
Hi All,
I was just wondering if it was possible to retrofit auto lights/wipers on the 6j FL? Ive seen another thread on here about it which i was going to follow but ive just realised that was for a Leon and not an Ibiza so im not sure if it will work the same. All the involved doing was putting in the rain light sensor into the mirror and changing the headlight switch for one with the auto position on it. No extra wiring was required. Would it work the same for the ibiza?
If not has anyone done this retrofit and if so could you tell me how it was done?

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Yep you can but it’s a bit of work ;)

Need light sensor, switch and rain decetor as well as progra it all if you go stock.

Otherwise you could do only headlights, pretty easy and cheap in aftermarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slunat

Dec 21, 2017
That sounds pretty similar to the Leon guide I was reading to be honest, which I am willing to do. The coding would be the most difficult but I know people who are handy with VCDS who could do it. Am I right I’m assuming it would go as follows?
1. Split open rear view mirror and put in the light/rain sensor
2. Replace the headlight switch with an auto switch ( at this point on the Leon guide the auto wipers work without any extra work)
3. Do the coding for the auto lights

No extra wiring or anything is needed? That is my biggest worry to be honest as I am not too confident with electrics and don’t want it to be a big job.

Thanks

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Yeah seems right except I would think some wire is needed as well but easy enough to run

Îm guessing a +12 V permanent for sensor and also a cable from sensor to whatever module commands it.

For the headlight switch nothing to add except switch itself, I did it on Jetta I guess it is the same kind of thing

slunat

Dec 21, 2017
damn that makes things a little more complicated if so. I will try and open up the mirror and see as on the leons i think the contacts for the connection were already there so there is a chance that it could be the same story for the ibiza, at least I hope so. If not, I think I will just leave it.

myounus

Alhambra UK Northwest
Apr 9, 2018
damn that makes things a little more complicated if so. I will try and open up the mirror and see as on the leons i think the contacts for the connection were already there so there is a chance that it could be the same story for the ibiza, at least I hope so. If not, I think I will just leave it.
If the wiring is there then it's easy if not there is another option where you can have the lights but not the rain.
There are several companies that do an aftermarket light switch with the auto option that feature a light sensor that you can stick on the corner of your windscreen.
This will give you the auto option and coming home / leaving lights..

slunat

Dec 21, 2017
I had a look and it doesnt look like the wiring will be there. The leons already have a humidity sensor there which is why the woring was also there but it doesnt look like the ibiza has one over there as theres nowhere the wiring could go for it and theres no visible wires anywhere. I wasnt too bothered about wipers so ill look into aftermarket kits as long as theyre not too messy

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.