AutoWindow reflex hints...

willcooke

Brrrummmm
May 31, 2005
Beds
Hello all,

Here are a few pictures to help with the install of the AutoWindow Reflex module. (My car is an 02 plate Leon)

The instructions that come with it are fine, but I hope that these will assist a bit more. One thing I did notice was that the white wire on the auto window module connects to the "alternate" colour in the guide, NOT the "Leon 1.8" one on the instructions. (This will make more sense once you've read the manual).

I've still got the original pictures (plus a few more) if anyone fancies doing this a bit better.

79.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

k11jrp

old and wiser
When i fitted mine I used a hot melt glue gun to help keep the module stick to the inside of the door, the double sided sticky tape supplied and additional insulation tape just loose there stickyness too quickly, especially in the hot weather.
A hot melt glue gun certainley fixes this and looks neater.....just what I found anyway

willcooke

Brrrummmm
May 31, 2005
Beds
k11jrp said:
When i fitted mine I used a hot melt glue gun to help keep the module stick to the inside of the door, the double sided sticky tape supplied and additional insulation tape just loose there stickyness too quickly, especially in the hot weather.
A hot melt glue gun certainley fixes this and looks neater.....just what I found anyway

Ah, I should mention that the black tape was only a temporary measure. The module comes with some sticky pads (well, mine did) that are incredibly strong (i.e. you don't want to get it in the wrong place cos it ain't moving once your stick it on!)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Great guide. I have just bought the reflex unit second hand from Cupra Rog but it didn’t come with the destructions (he did tell me this). Just wondering if there are any other points of information I would need to install this unit??

samm

Oil be back!!
Nov 5, 2003
Horsham
sammullahy.50megs.com
I fitted mine ages ago. It was one of the pre-production models. If I had known how much I would have to take the car apart and how long it would take then I would not have bothered but now it is in I love it!

I wish I had seen these pics then!!!!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
You could really do with some install instructions - there's a nice bit in there where it tells you which wire to connect in what sequence and then gives you a test to perform to make sure that the wire has a good connection...

I'll get mine photocopied and posted to you.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Cheers feel that would be a great help. I was worried it would be a big job!
Did you use scotch locks on yours? As i hate them with a vengance and would like a better way of connecting the wires?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I did once, but I might have changed to bullet connectors - I can't remember. I think I've got scotch locks in the harness, then bullet connectors to the unit (I had to keep taking mine off when I was helping develop it).

The only issue with not using scotch locks is that you have to cut the harness to get a crimp on there.

I would suggest you put a bullet connector on the white wire (I think it is) as you might be plugging and unplugging this one...

STONeCupra

Gread thread thanks i just got my reflex to be installed on my cupra, i'm afraid to undo the dashborad but i will find out a way to wire the second mirror without that.

STONE

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
stuck on the white wire? says it goes to a yellow with grey stripe, but i dont have one?

help? where have you fitted yours?

edit: nevermind read the first post , on mine white goes to green with red hint

Last edited:

cuprarstevefitz

mayday!! just tried to fit my autowindow module and step by step the wizzard on the intructions says the status led shud flash a certain way once fitting certain wires as you go through the installation

But on my module i cant see any led plus also i have fitted each wire except the white wire which on the instructions it says to fit to the yellow with grey stripe but i dont have that wire??

please can anyone help me, this was expensive kit and would love to have it working

willcooke

Brrrummmm
May 31, 2005
Beds
Hi Steve,

Sorry - it's ages since I installed mine, but I think the LED referred to is the alarm LED on the door, the one that flashes when your lock the car.

The white cable connects to the one described in the instructions as "alternate". I don't have the actual instruction pamphlet so I can't tell you exactly.

I wrote:

The instructions that come with it are fine, but I hope that these will assist a bit more. One thing I did notice was that the white wire on the auto window module connects to the "alternate" colour in the guide, NOT the "Leon 1.8" one on the instructions. (This will make more sense once you've read the manual).

... but I can't remember exactly what I meant!

If you're still stuck let me know and I'll try and dig out my instructions.

Cheers, Will

samm

Oil be back!!
Nov 5, 2003
Horsham
sammullahy.50megs.com
Nah, isn't it the LED on the box itself that shows when a wire has been connected correctly? I don't remember using the door LED to prove anything.

I fitted mine about 4 years ago and it was one of the early prototypes from those guys so was slightly different plus it was the reflex model that did the folding mirrors. All I can remember is that it was a ******* to fit!!! Not much help, sorry

cuprarstevefitz

"The status LED is in the hole on the module, by the jumper pins.
It is a tiny surface mounted LED, blinks greenish yellow.

You should find all car wires before continuing to connect any of them".

this was what the guy said to me last nite when i emailed him.

When you say alternate do you mean the one that would be for the golf or skoda or whatever the other car is on the instructions?? i had three wires left over and tried all of them but nothing, but i did leave that one till last.

do you have to fit them in sequence for it to work correctly?

also i couldnt see anything that resembled a led on the unit itself like in the way he described.

really quite stuck and pissed off too now, hate it when you follow instructions and still nothing!

also mine is the reflex unit with the mirror folding but didnt want to continue till i had the windows working

willcooke

Brrrummmm
May 31, 2005
Beds
When you say alternate do you mean the one that would be for the golf or skoda or whatever the other car is on the instructions?? i had three wires left over and tried all of them but nothing, but i did leave that one till last.

I seem to remember that on the instructions for Leon 1.8 is lists an alternate wire to connect the white wire to. What is the white wire for, does it say?

do you have to fit them in sequence for it to work correctly?

Yes - that's quite important.

also i couldnt see anything that resembled a led on the unit itself like in the way he described.

really quite stuck and pissed off too now, hate it when you follow instructions and still nothing!

also mine is the reflex unit with the mirror folding but didnt want to continue till i had the windows working

http://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?image=87dc5.jpg

This is where I would expect the LED to be if it's not the one on the door.

cuprarstevefitz

thanks for the pic but thats what is in the post above
so if they should be done in sequence is it worth disconecting and starting again?

when i connected the black earth wire then the main red and white thick power wire the led is supposed to blink then but i cud see nothing, i gave the wires a slight tug to see if they are connected correctly and they were.

in the instructions it says about the white wire once connected,

"with a;; doors shut do OPEN command press remote unlock unlock unlock each press shows double pulse on the status led then it begins to pulsate was windows roll down "

but i havnt got any of this as i hadnt even had the first test once i had connected the main power wire. after connecting the purple wire it says

"status led flashes then blinks every 6 seconds indicating power and ready"

willcooke

Brrrummmm
May 31, 2005
Beds
If you're not getting any LED flashes I would think that the unit isn't getting any power. So it's either:

a) broken

or

b) not connected fully.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.