Aux heater not working. Where's the fuse?

Gwaredd

Hi all. I've noticed lately that my Auxiliary heater has stopped working. Typical now that it's really cold. I've checked the handbook, but no-where does it list where the fuse is located for it, so can't even check.

Anyone help? It's a 2003 115PD.

Also, my thermostat has packed in (stuck open) Anyone ever changed one? It looks like a case of popping the alternator off for access, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Just to let all of you viewing this topic know, that although I still haven't located the fuse for the booster heater, the FGOC forum has an abundance of info on it & they welcome VW & SEAT owners alike. You have to register, but it takes no time & is worth it.

but be prepared to trawl through pages of total irrelevant crap usually posted by the moderators and senior members before you get a decent answer to you question!

Gwaredd

Just to update. Went to my Indy earlier today & within 30 seconds he pulled up a list of 5 errors, all the same fault saying, open circuit glow plug. Phoned 2 VW dealers & my local SEAT one, none had heard of the booster heater, let alone the glow plug for it. Luckily I was armed with the part No. which surprised them when it came up on the screen, but they all wanted £42.00 +VAT for it, & because it's not a standard part, if it's wrong, they won't take it back. Not standard? WTF?

Anyway, had a longer poke round the internet & found this:

They CAN be bought from:

Hans Motors
22 The Fort Ind Park
Birmingham
B35 7AR

Tel 0121 749 8820

Speak to Lloyd Parchment - mention my name (Mike Fenlon) and the forum!!
The original Beru (OEM) part no is 0 100 226 228 but it has now been superseded, although Lloyd is aware of the new part No.

It is not a stock item, and has to be ordered from Germany, but it is the GENUINE OEM part. Cost is...... £22.32+vat Carriage is £5+vat - total £32.10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoned the guy up & before I'd finished speaking, he continued my sentence & knew exactly what I was after! £24.00 odd later & my new glow plug will be with me tomorrow. They even had 4 in stock. Now that's service for you!

So, if your Alhambra isn't making a jet like noise at the N/S rear in this cold weather & the engine temp takes forever to get to 90, this is the answer.

Gwaredd.

Broadbander

Where is the fuse?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your most useful message. I am having similar problems with my seat - it is blowing white smote. I contacted Lloyed and he has the fuse in stock.

I just want to know if you can tell me where the fuse goes?

Many thanks

B.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
was gonna say as glow plug was mentioned heard of them being common

the rear Aux heater is basically like a mini diesel burner iirc

Broadbander

Plug - where does it go?

Hi - do you know where the glow plug is located on a Seat Alhambra?

Thanks

neilmurray

Alhambra/Galaxy Auxiliary Heater

Mine has gone wrong too. Blowing out loads of white smoke/diesel fumes. Found this on the seat forum:-

here is a great misunderstanding about the heating system on TDI's! the external heater is not used to provide heat for the rear heater unit!
it's primary purpose is to heat the engine coolant in cold weather and to allow heat output from both the cabin heaters, without this unit operating you will struggle to get some if any heat from the heaters! TDI's run cool due to the low calorific value of the fuel used to power the engine, this means that any heat provided by the engine will be low! and so the external aux heater is used to heat the engine coolant, this in turn allows the heaters to blow hot air and the engine to warm up to it's full operating temp and run more efficiently, hence the possible loss of MPG if the units isnt running?
just out of interest what colour smoke? does it smell of unburnt fuel? plus if the heater unit fails to ignite five times it goes in to lock out mode! and you will need to have the fault codes reset in order to get it to fire up again! and no disconnecting the battery unfortunately wont clear these fault codes.

To reset fault codes you need the VAG-COM program a connector and a laptop.

I contacted Seat about my car and even though they had the VIN it could be one of four types of heater. Two can have the glow plugs replaced two are sealed for life.

Glow plug £50 Heaters complete £500 or £750
Off to the beakers yard I go

Search the fordmax web site for a detailed description on how to change the glow plug.

Hope this Helps Neil

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Most probably just the glow plug inside the unit common fault and do cause excessive black smoke, might have blown the fuse if the glow plug has gone too.

Eric35red

Auxilliary Heater Glow Plug

I have a Seat Alhambra 04 and am fairly sure that the glow plug on the aux heater has gone. Rang Seat and they want £55 for the plug (plus vat) but a local vw spares have quoted me £18 for part 7M3-963-319. Im just a little uncertain that this is the correct one for my model as the seat chap told me it changed on the 04 plate. Is there any easy way to verify this part number against my vehicle?
Also there is talk on the forum of fault codes when it "locks out". I am not getting it anything up on the dash, would I , should I????

thanks in advance:)

skoolz

Hi guys, I have a Seat Altea Tdi 07 and my internal heater has stopped working. I have removed the fan and tested it directly from the battery, ok. I have tested it power supply cables with a multimeter and nothing. I then removed the front dash controls and tested the power to the heater knobs, nothing and yet the power to all the another knobs are live. I have checked all fuses and none are blown. The car is not giving out any heat so is it a heater ignite fail lock that needs to be reset as mentioned above. Any ideas of what the problem is as a car without a heater in England is a lost cause. Please Help

Alhambraguy

Jul 23, 2011
the altea doesnt have an aux heater fella,, so your not on the right page so to speak!!!!

is there hot water getting to the heater matrix inside the car??

skoolz

the altea doesnt have an aux heater fella,, so your not on the right page so to speak!!!!

is there hot water getting to the heater matrix inside the car??

Cheers mate for that, I wasn't aware...I'm a curious DIY guy. How would I know, check where the heater matrix is and where does the hot water come from?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
neilmurray wrote

Found this on the seat forum:-

TDI's run cool due to the low calorific value of the fuel used to power the engine, this means that any heat provided by the engine will be low!

I can't let this piece of 3-year old bad science go unchallenged (sorry neil, I know you're quoting some unnamed third party so this is not aimed at you)

The calorific value of diesel fuel is slightly higher than that of petrol (diesel 46MJ/kg against 43 for petrol). Diesels run cooler because they are more efficient, less of the energy is wasted as heat down the exhaust pipe or into the coolant.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.