Aux In Alana Headunit

Pdog

Jan 22, 2004
Bexhill, E.Sussex
Visit site
I found this thread after searching for Ipod connector for the Alana Headunit with the CD6 button.

I am going to order the cable from Ebay, People who have ordered it, is it just Pin 14 that needs to be earthed? I don't have any prior knowledge to earthing cables, is this something that can be done by a novice?

Cheers

Pdog

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
yeah, all that is meant by earthing pin 14 is that pin is somehow linked to the cars negative pole on the battery, the cars body is connected to the -ve (earth) so for any normal job where you need an earth then anywhere metallic is the best option.

But for this job, the metal casing of the radio unit is also connected to earth so just attach it to this somehow.

I just wrapped the wire connected to pin 14 around the threaded aligning bit and wound a nut down on it.

Sure Ive typed that out before somewhere :whistle:

The real G-Man

Apr 6, 2009
Hey guys, just about to buy the "GOLD-SMART-CAR-AUX-IN-INPUT-STEREO-ADAPTER-FOR-IPOD" from ebay, for the princely sum of £8.95

Hope it works ok. Gonna plug it into a nokia n97 and use this as my mp3 player.

Is it easy enough to get the alana mp3 head unit removed? Think I'm gonna have to buy some sort of removal tools from halfords or the like.

So all I have to do is plug this cable into the back of my Alana mp3 head unit, and earth pin 14, and everything will be hunky dory after that? Seems almost TOO easy. There's bound to be a catch? For £8.95?

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
Righteo - i bought the ebay cable, and got it yesterday. looking to get it fitted tomorrow at some point as im off work. just wondering how you guys have attached the earth wire to the pin 14, im a total noob when it comes to these things. if anyone took any pictures when they installed theirs that would be awesome.

cheers.

The real G-Man

Apr 6, 2009
Righteo - i bought the ebay cable, and got it yesterday. looking to get it fitted tomorrow at some point as im off work. just wondering how you guys have attached the earth wire to the pin 14, im a total noob when it comes to these things. if anyone took any pictures when they installed theirs that would be awesome.

cheers.

Me too!! I would love this advice as well! I've ordered the cable and should have it in a couple of days. How do you even tell where pin 14 is? Man! I hope i don't screw this up! Any help always appreciated!

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
Unless you have the proper ISO pins and crimps, then the only other way you are going to be able to do it is bodge it. Either just shove some wire down the pin 14 cavity, or solder direcly onto the pin on the headunit then thread the wire back through the pin 14 hole on the plug so you can still connect it.
Unless anybody has any other bright ideas lol

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
Quick update from this afternoon's work: Finally fitted it and got it working - butchered an old ISO connector and took the crimps from it and used that. thought i should do it properly in the end and with a bit of time, soldered the wire together and earthed it to the aligning screw from the back of the HU :D

The real G-Man

Apr 6, 2009
Aha! So the pin is actually on the head unit! (i haven't had the hu out, so haven't seen the back). This all makes sense now! Yeah i could probably find a used iso connector lying about somewhere! Cheers for all this guys! Really appreciate all the help! I'll let you know how i get on.

Matt, just out of interest, how long did it take your cable to come from the ebay store?

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
Aha! So the pin is actually on the head unit! (i haven't had the hu out, so haven't seen the back). This all makes sense now! Yeah i could probably find a used iso connector lying about somewhere! Cheers for all this guys! Really appreciate all the help! I'll let you know how i get on.

Matt, just out of interest, how long did it take your cable to come from the ebay store?
it took 8 days, i ordered it on the sunday and had it by the following tuesday.

Pdog

Jan 22, 2004
Bexhill, E.Sussex
Visit site

See I am a complete Noob. :) I thought Pin 14 was on the actual cable, and you had to remove the blue part of the cable to earth pin 14 :) If it is on the HU I should e able to do it.

The real G-Man

Apr 6, 2009
yeah pdog! Thats the spirit! We can DO this! I'm not too hot with stuff like this either, but it should hopefully go ok. At least we're both in the same boat! Let me know how you go!

jame1410

sorry to be a pain and bring this back up... ive found this cable on ebay, can anyone say if its the right or wrong one please?!?! i cant post the url.. but its item number:160341397785.

Last edited by a moderator:

jame1410

Does it matter that i have a Alana HU not Blaupunkt? Same connections etc.??

The real G-Man

Apr 6, 2009
jame, i have an alana hu and this is the cable i used. It works a treat, but make sure you earth to the screwat the back of the hu.

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
Just to confirm, thats the cable I have, and i also have the alane HU (with the CD6 button) and have had no problems. as said, just remember to earth it, otherwise it wont work!

4oClock

Take the Long Road...
Nov 8, 2009
Sunny-ish Lincolnshire-ish
This is the best thread i've come across on SCN looking at hooking an ipod up to the Alana unit. i've the CD6 version on an 05plate and i've bought a box of tricks and some wires from fleabay seller "uni-trade" (sorry i cant post links as i'm new...)

for £30 it should link the ipod upto the cd changer port on the backof the HU (no control of ipod or power to it tho), lets hope it works...

richie2006

Hey ive got one of the Ebay Cables..

but i have no idea how to "earth pin14" and ive looked back over threads and cant really understand how to do this.

Does anyone have any pictures or a video of how to do this?

jame1410

Right i now have the cable, now... whers the best place to sit it. Was thinking around handbrake area would be good. Anyone have any ideas?