Back in Black! ** Custom FMIC Build Started & Finished**

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
The LCR is purely a weekend car, hardly gets used and with work and toddler commitments I kinda lost my enthusiasm for it for a while.

Anyway, the temporary insanity has passed :) and modding has begun again.

Just a couple of pics, spot the mods :D

IMG_9620_1200.jpg

lcr_wheel.jpg

carbon_mirror.jpg

Last edited:

ikhlaq206

Its all about the .:R
Jul 25, 2006
Beutiful LCR looks the part.

See you've got aero wipers... what other mods have you done mate.

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Thanks for the kind comments guys, always nice getting encouraging feedback.
The seats are Recaro Speeds, lush and hold you in a treat. The standard S3 (previous car) and LCR seats are way too wide for my ass so I slide around a bit. Also, they are mounted lower so gives a much better driving position.

Other mods are :-
CC Phase1
APR 3" DP, de-cat mated to Piper CAT-Back
Ferrari 360 calipers
Weitec coilovers
Neuspeed ARBs
Fabia Rear wiper
Forge007p
N249 bypass
Forge TIP
Dynatwist CAI
S3 Strut brace
Front and rear Brembo slotted disks (330mm 2 piece disks for sale in classifieds)
Spare set of Compomotive 18" Wheels in anthracite with ToyoR888's on
Currently alternating betweend DS3000's and DS2500 pads.
Peloquin LSD
Neuspeed Shortshift
Maximum negative camber on front.
Nomad B pillar single gauge mount with Autogauges colors boost gauge

Next on the list is going to be a FMIC in preparation for Stage 2. Black roof and spoiler.

Probably going to paint the Compomotives some hideous colour like luminous orange or something :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Nice car nice spec.
How much drop you running?
How much negative camber you running?
Have you tried the DS3000's on the road or is it track only?
What size of discs are you running below the 360 Callipers?
Aren't these the same as the LCR ones??
What seats is that you have?
Did they mount to the OEM runners?
Are they any lower than the OEM ones at minimum ride height?

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Thanks Willie,
Drop is about 55mm.
Max neg camber as the ball joints will allow, its about 1.8deg
Yes tried the 3000's on the road which is why I swap them out lol. Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal! They also need warming up before they will work, don't expect them to stop you in an emergency when cold.
Currently running 323mm disks, just taken the 330mm 2 piece off to sell, bigger things in the pipe line..

The 360 calipers look identical, they have bigger pistons though.
Seats are Recaro Speeds with the recaro subframes. I originally had them in my S3 as there was a MASSIVE weight saving to be had and also I found myself hanging onto the steering wheel while my ass slid around on the nappa leather. They are a little lighter than the LCR Seats, not a massive amount though but the much lower driving position is a definite plus point.
When you purchase Recaro aftermarket seats, you have to purchase separate subframes, you select the fitment for your car... The subframes themselves are about £130 each.

You could certainly get some standard Golf/A3/OctaviaMk1/Leon seats and cut and weld the subframes to fabricate your own set. You can then take your pick of seats like Becks did with the EVO seats...

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
1.8 degrees, sounds great.
I'll have to see what mine are, there 25mm drop and ball joints slid all the way out/in.
Might see about getting the 360 callipers, did they fit on without feckin about to the LCR carriers?
Did you need a spacer to adjust these?
What size discs can you run with the 360 callipers?
How was the braking with the 360 callipers and the 2 piece discs?
What pads did you use.

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
I also run a couple of degrees toe out rather than parallel, helps turn in.

360 calipers are almost identical to the LCR calipers, so no modifications or spacers needed.

The maximum theoretical disk size is 355mm.

I took the 2 piece disks off when the 360 calipers were fitted so can't comment.

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Ok, after spending 2 days clearing out my workshop, putting shelves up, building a new work bench, mounting the vices and bench grinder, servicing the compressor, cleaning my air tools etc etc I was finally ready to start the FMIC build :)

Remember kids, safety safety safety!

Always make sure your car is properly supported, you don't want an SOS situation (Seat Owner Sandwich) do you :shrug:

fmic_1.jpg

fmic_3.jpg

Bumper cover finally came off, bloody tight on the wings!

fmic_5.jpg

Took my time, no rush and a couple of hours later I had some spare bits :-

fmic_6.jpg

Last edited:

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Trial fitted the THS top hoses and Forge MAF tube, it was at this point I found out that the Mikalor clamps I bought are too small! 60-68mm which I thought would be loads but the THS hoses are 4 ply and must be at least 70mm O/D.

fmic_7.jpg

fmic_8.jpg

Relocated the horns to the N/S SMIC bracket, for some reason, the captive nut that resides inside the crash bar was loose, so I used this to bolt up the horns. This won't be their final resting place, will need to see how they sit when the piping is done.

fmic_9.jpg

I was starting to run out of time so I decided to offer up the new FMIC to check for space, fitment etc but immediately ran into a possible problem. I'm hoping that Nev, Rob etc can offer some advice on this :-
The top of the FMIC is around 600mm (outside end tank to end tank) and when I offered it up behind the crash bar, the ends hit the slam panel cross braces (the braces that are at approx 45 degrees).
This meant that that cooler was sitting a good 2 inches below the top of the crash bar, is that ok? In terms of clearing the bottom of the bumper cover?
In the pic below, you can see where the offered cooler is sitting, sorry about the quality, I was holding the cooler with one hand and camera in the other :)

fmic_12.jpg

Also, those 3 little brackets at the bottom of the radiator (2 pics below) cause the bottom of the cooler to pitch forward and would undoubtedly cause damage to the cooler core.
fmic_10.jpg

fmic_11.jpg

Anyway, not a bad first day considering I didnt start till about 2pm :whistle:

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I'm going to have this propblem on mine [I think] what I've done is get a bit of small box section [about 1" box I'd say] and if I have to I'm going to remove the brace bar and fix the box section inbetween the chassis legs to stop any flex.....this should allow the cooler to sit further forward and clear the front panel.

I also figure doing this will allow air to flow inbetween the cooler and rad so I dont get any cooling issues.

leoninter.png

Thats not my pic but you get the idea.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.