Back in Black! ** Custom FMIC Build Started & Finished**

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Anyway, car is running!

Had a pig of a job routing the induction piping round the battery, definitely cant fit the battery cover on with that in place :(

Bumper was a million times easier by removing the plastic runner (held on by 2 8mm nuts), although I just can't get it 100% perfect. Job for another time i think, I will buy some brand new runners..

Just going to put the wheels on and take it for a spin!

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Final update on the FMIC build...

Last job before the bumper can be fitted, sorting the horns mounting and orientation...

fmic_49.jpg

Battery fitted showing clearance of the clamp to MAP pipe..

fmic_53.jpg

Induction pipe fitted, what a pig to get round the corner of the battery! Battery cover won't fit back on :(

fmic_63.jpg

Better daytime shot of the completed cooler...

fmic_50.jpg

Some gratuitous car **** shots :)

fmic_54.jpg

Fitted a new splitter while the bumper was off :-

fmic_56.jpg

fmic_58.jpg

Car pulls very strongly and definitely holds peak boost for longer, roll on the stage 2 mapping!

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Cheers Adam, taking your time and doing things right really pays off, absolutely zero problems...

Next job is to smooth and drill the OEM airbox and refit it, will de-screen my spare MAF housing as well.

Looking at Stage 2 mapping next week.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I've read about people messing about with their MAF's, what excatly do you do? is it simply removing the plastic mesh at each end?

JamJay

California Bound
Awesome stu, very impressed!

Did you respray your Brembo's? They look very clean, if so what colour did you use?

Secondly, how far did you wind the coilovers down? Perfect ride hight is that!

Oh, and tyres...T1-Rs? They stretch round the rim nicely, great looking tyre.

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Awesome stu, very impressed!

Did you respray your Brembo's? They look very clean, if so what colour did you use?

Secondly, how far did you wind the coilovers down? Perfect ride hight is that!

Oh, and tyres...T1-Rs? They stretch round the rim nicely, great looking tyre.

Thanks Jay :)

They are powder coated, not sure exactly what RAL number it is though. They are actually Ferrarri 360 calipers, same as ours, just bigger piston sizes...

I think its about 50-55mm drop..

T1-R's - I had a couple lying around so I thought I might as well finish them off on the fronts while the summer lasted, will go back to Dunlop sports all round in winter. Got R888's on my Compomotive MO's as well :)

Thanks for all the positive comments lads, it DOES it make it worthwhile and they are appreciated.

Due to supplier problems and only managing to spend a few hours here and there it took about 2 weeks to complete and I was beginning to be sick of the sight of my car on stands and I had to force myself to finish it lol.

My advice is to get a friend to help, get all parts and tools sourced, lay them out and do a 'virtual' assembly just to check you have everything in place. Then plan a weekend to do it all in one go...

I'm at one of our sites in Skipton at the moment and the drive up here on the A59 was immensely enjoyable, it really has transformed the power delivery. There is much more boost available for longer through the rev range. I'm almost learning how to overtake again lol. It pulls like a train now, I dread to think what Stage 2 will feel like.

I'm only peaking at 15psi now!! Looking around at what other people are achieving, I could be peaking at almost double that! I just can't imagine it :s

Last edited:

harty190486

POWER!!!
Dec 29, 2008
staffordshire
hi mate nice car by the way it looks like alot of time and effort spent to get it to this level, great thread and nice write up on the fmic if you dont mind me asking what the set up is like have you noticed a diffrence and how does it feel with the hot side and cold side pipework being diffrent diameters, will be following this in the next month well done mate :D

tedvagas

Nov 5, 2006
cleveland
Just like to say thanks stu for making this thread! ive just done a custom build up on my lcr following your guide, zero problems:)

some pics

Picture049.jpg

Picture067.jpg

the cars running great and gained 3psi !

again thanks stu :cheers:

tedvagas

Nov 5, 2006
cleveland
that he is mate :) nevs done a good guide too

the only thing i did different was retaining the front fogs by putting a tighter angle on the outlets ;)

Picture050.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.