Back in Black! ** Custom FMIC Build Started & Finished**

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Stu, I have to agree with everyone, your thread is brilliant so far. I have been avoidant of fitting a FMIC for a long time, owing to Forge’s price tag. However, totalling up your list, I came to roughly £300 all in. Did you achieve a similar figure? Reading Robdon’s write up of a similar universal intercooler, it seems that the performance is excellent?

I, for a while, also had the same cold air feed fitted as you using 80mm black neoprene ducting leading to a BMC CDA. I ended up having to make DIY battery relocation brackets so that just enough room could be achieved to fit everything including my battery cover. However, there was not a mm spare and I actually found the feed of air to be average, over the OEM part.

I ended going down the route of removing my fog lights and having a twin air feed (same as Skorchio & Probee, amongst others). The performance appears to be much better, and the cost was relatively small too (70mm Neoprene ducting X 2metres, a plastic ‘y piece’- which was purchased from Wickes and is actually a household guttering piece, and a few other bits and bobs). It may be something that you might want to consider once the weather comes back to us?

Keep up the good work!:)

James.

greganderson

Nov 16, 2009
Isle of man
Some gratuitous car **** shots :)

fmic_54.jpg

Fitted a new splitter while the bumper was off :-

fmic_56.jpg

fmic_58.jpg

Car pulls very strongly and definitely holds peak boost for longer, roll on the stage 2 mapping!

:drool: i love your car mate... wanna swap? :D :happy: hahaha

DJ-LIAMC

VAGisclean
May 31, 2009
Loughborough
Cars looking fanitastic mate, I have the same cooler to fit soon but am going 64mm to 57mm(Cooler) out to 64mm i see you went from 57mm to 57mm (cooler) to 64mm, what difference does it make?

czaki

Mar 21, 2012
Hungary
I know that it's a huge thread revival, but I would like to thank Stu (hope he will read it eventually :D) for making this guide. I've just finished building my FMIC setup following the steps, the only difference I made is that starting from the cooler I used a silicone 45 degree elbow instead of an alloy one. It was even possible to retain the fogs, so I am really happy now. :)