Badger 5 TIP fitting questions

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
So I removed the original TIP last night and this morning I started putting the V03 TIP in place.

The location of one of the connection from the hockey puck pipe just seems too short and at the wrong angle to connect to the TIP.

Am I missing something or do I need to buy a new piece of hose to make the connection clean and tidy?
I’m reluctant to put too much stress on the existing pipe judging by the state it looks like on the inside.

39300654-93A6-4E90-A616-E6881B07259C.jpeg

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Interesting. The picture in that Audi thread shows the breather connection almost at right angles to the maf connection:
83D44285-6350-48B3-A744-F3A134962B70.png

The one I have looks quite different. I think I might need to source a longer piece of hose to do it properly without damaging the existing one.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I had a similar thing when I fit my forge DV return to my Revo intake. It was clear the angle had changed and mine seemed stretched compared to all the pictures. I approached Revo about it and they said they'd had a change of manufacturer.

I think like you say maybe see if you can grab a piece of silicone hose that's a bit longer from somewhere like samco.

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Thanks for the replies. I aborted mission for today. I'm a bit disappointed the TIP wasn't just a drop in replacement. I need the car drivable so I put it all back together with the OEM TIP (I gave the TIP a good clean too - 16 years of dust/dirt/oil etc). Like you say, I'll have to source some new hose to make the breather hose connection fit. I might order some new OEM bits too - the state of the internals of some of those pipes near the cam cover is shocking!

One positive note - I gave the turbo impellor a wiggle. Virtually no play in/out/up/down. Not bad for 107k miles.:)

Reactions: Legojon

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
After a month of being busy with everything other than car stuff I finally got round to having another go at fitting the TIP.
A few extra bits of hose and a 90 degree elbow allowed me to join the breather hose.

I then had a problem in that the tip was sitting too high giving me no chance to get the heat shield, maf and filter in the right place:
DD7E707C-F09F-4E8F-93D0-2CEE0BE5C229.jpeg

it turns out that the hose from the hard boost pipe to the DV was preventing the tip from locating correctly. So I disconnected the DV and everything fitted much better. The problem now can be seen in the next photo:
56EB6E48-2C8A-420B-B964-F0E992155D71.jpeg

The DV output is about 3cm offset from the TIP connection.
I lined up my CM hose with the original OEM hose. The CM one is a bit shorter but not of the order of 3cm.
A95F6490-5640-49CC-8FD6-29D055965C56.jpeg

even the OEM hose seems a bit short to reach.
Anyhow I have put the OEM hose back on and wiggled everything around a bit. The heat shield is in place but not located correctly so I don’t stress the above boost hose.
Looks like I need to extend the hose to the DV by about 3-4cm to get a nice fit.
Another headache!! I thought this would be a quick job.:cry:
It’s all working for now. Took the car for a spin and can hear that turbo nicely. The car definitely feels a bit more urgent up the rev range.

Is it just me being a noob to all this modding stuff?!? I’m a sucker for OEM!!

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
I haven't fitted any of my parts yet... but I have noticed on all my previous race car builds that nothing after market is a like for like OEM style fit. They all need a push shove twist and cut to suit. But that's the joys of our love of cars

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
In theory it is an easy swap, but the reality for me was not, otherwise it would have been done and dusted a month ago. My car has totally stock pipework. It looks to me like the Badger5 TIP breather connector favours catch can installs - I had to go buy some additional hose joiners and extra hose for the stock setup.
Now my hose from to the DV seems too short - its hanging together but I'm far from happy with it. It feels like I bodged it and now I need to buy a few more bits of hose and joiner to get something I'm happy with. More hassle and cash and more hose clips!
I was hoping for a more seamless install.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Like most things it is an easy swap if you have the time, patience, tools and knowledge.
I had a Creations TIP to start with dreadful fit, then went to a Badger TIP and it went on first time without hassle , the stupidly went for a Creations cold side relocation kit again dreadful fit and took ages to fit right .
I do run a catch can but it vents to atmosphere so plumbing very simple.
Engine bay (from a couple of months ago)
IMG_20190310_154308.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.