Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Badgerwagen - 2012 Race Season Castle Combe

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by ibizacupra, May 4, 2012.

1. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

2. truCido

truCido Race Lupo in progress...

looked like it was going really well up until then :( sad to see the Badgerwagon all bashed up, could've been a lot worse though I suppose.

3. joenitro

joenitro Active Member

Sorry to see this Bill and hope you're physically ok?
    The power delivery looks awesome. Please tell us whether that was high or low boost?! If that's low, then it's ridiculous :lol:
    Hope you're not too down about the bump - at least you didn't break down with engine failure. Hopefully the brakes can be sorted? Can you go bigger than what you currently have? Or is it a cooling / fluid issue?

It must be encouraging for you though, given how little test / track time you've had over the last couple of years, to be catching the very fast and now well sorted TT of Mr Hutchings?

Chin up eh! :funk:

Oh and any idea of terminal speed before Avon Rise? Looked mighty quick from in-car :whistle:

#43 joenitro, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  4. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Site Owner

Bad luck Bill - sounded / looked like cooked brakes? :(

5. wild willy

wild willy Full Member

Unlucky Bill, you were driving very well.:(
    Any idea about what part of the braking system let you down.
    Hope the damage is only minor.

6. Tucker157

Tucker157 Active Member

Very unlucky, hope your well!

Did the back lock up? Looks to get out of line then force the car to glide to the right?
    maybe caused by heat damage to the master cylinder by the previous exhaust/manifold detachment?

It's a s*** just how quickly it goes wrong! I hate the accelerative feeling when ploughing on to the grass!

On a lighter note, jees that's quick! How much extra mileage do you do a lap with all that wheel spining? Lol new tyres every race?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2

7. Damoegan

Damoegan Sir Bob,a geordy legend..

Gutted for you Bill, not had much luck with Badgerwagen over the last few years :(

Shame, as it looked like it was performing very well...

8. swedey21

swedey21 Most days i drink meths..

SHHHHEEETTTTT....
    I thought thats not wheelspinning all the time is it...then i realised it was....!!:scary:

Sorry to see your off..hope you get it fixed all ok.:(

9. sambryant

sambryant RoadRunner meep meep

bill im gutted to watch this. i hope your ok, good to see you bell out just before the corner as the damage would have been much worse. can clearly see your a awesome driver.

10. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

thanks for the comments..

brakes.. hmmm.. What we have seen yesterday after getting it on the ramp to survey... both front wheel bearings were loose.. major wheel play on both, which would have been causing pad knock off, hence me having to pump the pedal, a couple of laps earlier, to get the pedal to work at all. They did'nt feel right from the start, quite a long pedal, but "ok", which I put down to 1/2 worn pads. Enough pad life for the race but I think combined with the wheels wobbling about and pushing the pads back into the calipers up front, my pedal pumping was just making for uneven braking on the front, and front rear balance would also have been all to ****... which I think explains why it slewed sideways and only 1 skid mark was left.. One wheel braking at the point of exit off the track. Once on the grass I hauled on the handbrake to spin it round... I was not wanting to go into the barriers fwds.... way too much ££ to break up front. I hoped foot still pumping the pedal and handbrake on I would shed enough speed when I slid back onto the track, but lol, fat chance and I impacted the barriers arse end first, slightly more on the drivers corner, but fairly square..
    Not a nice feeling, knowing the inevitable is headed your way, looking in the mirror, placing your head on the back of the seat and litterally bracing for impact.. BANG.. and some sudden pains down my back, which thankfully at the time were lost in the adrenalin, but I am paying for now... feck I ache..

Performance wise, despite the crash, I was very chuffed with the performance. quali was wet, so I ran on actuator 12psi only, and loved the new goodyear assy 2 tyres... Damn they work in the rain! Awesome tyres. Also removed as much camber as I am able to banking on it being a wet race from the forecast. Good for quali, not ideal for what turned into a dry race, but none the less it was going quite well :) P6 quali was a nice result.. and unexpected.. I was driving very conservatively just feeling the grip, which turns out was there in abundance.

Boost wise, I have enabled map2 in the dta, which I was running on, so its my mid power level at a conservative 22psi.. Still quite a lot of power given the traction issues, but last time out in the dry, when I ran its 26psi it hooked up without wheelspin, but had a lot more -ve camber, so note to self is dry needs more neg to deal with the extra power.

I was surprised how I was passing the others, on the mid power level, as it was comforting to know I had a spare few ponies at the flick of a switch if needed.. :D I dont think I would have needed it given the pace was good as it was. Watching the in-car a few times now, I was surprised a lot of the gains were actually under braking, which given I was finding the pedal horrible and erratic, makes me think its a pretty good package.

New turbo setup was working well... tial vband hotside, and revised manifold and downpipe to suit, and a bunch of heatshielding everywhere all worked 100%.

It could have been a good race I think.. the pace was there.. and as m0rk said, driving it so rarely against very competant guys like tony hutchins in the TT and being well on the pace makes me happy I have a race winning car (potentially again).

I have driven the car twice this year.. and before that two years ago, did one race.. so I am lacking a whole load of "seat time". testing is the racing.. not ideal, but how it is when I have so little free "me" time.

So.. I am pretty gutted tbh, I dont like seeing my badgerwagen bashed up... I have a new tailgate off my other ibiza shell, so its the bent panel work and bumpers/lights etc I am looking to get (and have some links off folks here, thanks :thumbup: to sort that out I think). It will need some pulling out 1st I think to review whats then needed panel wise. Any bodyshop folks who have experience of hydraulic pulling stuff out, I could do with some advise on please.

cheers
    bill

#50 ibizacupra, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  11. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

on full chat its ~150mph up avon rise..
    scarey slowing it again when you get there

12. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

13. swedey21

swedey21 Most days i drink meths..

Ouch!
    That's Gota hurt..
    Still could have been a lot worse..and at least your ok...well maybe not today!

14. rsrich

rsrich Newbie

Real bum luck Bill :( We were having huge problems with pad knock-off due to wheel bearing flex in the early days. Only by floating the front discs did it sufficiently reduced the problem enough to be workable. Tony was getting plenty of earache from everyone for dapping the brakes half way to Tower to make sure the pedal was there when he arrived!
    You got some serious speed in that car though, no mistake!
    How did Adam manage to hang on to that Quarry slide???!!!

15. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

adam = very lucky boy to scrub speed on tarmac, and everyone miss him :hide:

i am stull pretty down and gutted tbh.... I dont crash... I just dont push that hard I dont think because I dont want to be on the edge of adhesion..and risk the car.. and then this happens..

its racing i know, and nothing risk free, but the brakes/bearings doing there thing was unexpected to say the least.

upside is... I know the cars a real contender for wins..
    I so rarely drive the thing because of work commitments, I just am not at one with the car because of so little seat time.. last 4 years i have driven it 3 times, all of these at race meetings, no testing.
    the cars quick.. I know, and it does seem to stop and handle (usually stop) as well as the best, so its overall setup seems pretty nice for me.. and power is'nt an issue. Mid boost used at the monday race, which is some 80-100bhp lower than the previous motors tv dry race where I was exploring my boost button.. I think it was sufficient on the day to have done well, and knowing I had a spare few bhp at the flick of a switch was of some comfort.

still.. what might have been is fruitless.. I need to get it to do it..

engine spec and power I am happy with.. its doing well I think.

I was surpised when I look at the in car I was pulling tony in under braking, which given my brake problems and tentative braking surprised me.. I can imagine that is possibly where adam is gaining on the TT?

Still got to sort the bent panels out and looking for local Co to come look at it. Got lights/tailgate/bumper ready thanks to folks off here :thumbup:

Will hopefully aim to get out for last race.

16. RobT

RobT Full throttle trip

Blimey. Very suprised you had brake probs, its always been a strong point for you. Maybe time for two sets of front hubs/uprights and fresh bearings each race? Their not expensive. Or swap to leon uprights....bigger bearings etc

Tough luck bud. Sorry to hear about this but you'll be back.

#56 RobT, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  17. rsrich

rsrich Newbie

sorry we can't be more help to you Bill, Tony did speak to our bodyshop chap here, he said no problem but not until October earliest :(

18. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

no worries rich. :thumbup:

19. joehirth

joehirth Rate me up baby

I didn't realise how recent this was :(

Sorry to hear. Looks like you need a jig on that back end, anything structual damaged?

20. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

I took it to the bodyshop this morning so I will see how they get on towards the end of the week, assuming they get onto it.

chassis fine, rear panel squashed, but they thought that would pull out ok.. maybe the panel around the os rear light to replace.. once pulled on the jig it will be clearer.