BANG noise when accelerating VIDEOS

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi chaps and chapettes,

I've got a problem with the Cupra. I'll try and be as concise as possible.

When I accelerate hard, there's a mechanical clunk noise. It makes a sound similar to snapping a piece of thick plastic in half, that 'SNAP' noise. You can actually feel it in the cabin, under the accelerator pedal and in the steering wheel. It is loud and intrusive.

The noise happens if I set off; if I accelerate; or anytime it likes.

This sound also happened under braking, but only under heavy (slam on / emergency stop) braking. I say happened, because the car has been in with SEAT today. They replicated the issue, but only under heavy (slam on / emergency stop) braking.

They adjusted the shock top mount on the driver's side because they found play.

I took it for a test drive afterwards alone (tech was busy) and the noise when braking is no longer there, but under acceleration it is. And it's louder than ever.

Unfortunately for me, I was unable to replicate the issue with the SEAT tech in the car (sod's law) but I'm going to book it in again anyway. Something is not right with it.

The best way to describe the sound is like something thick snapping. You can also feel it though.

In my opinion, I am thinking drive train (gearbox) here. SEAT have thoroughly inspected all the suspension, and they say everything is fine.

Any thoughts / opinions welcome.

EDIT - NOW WITH PROOF! :cry::cry::censored:

The first video below is it happening when accelerating (twice). The second video is of it happening when just pulling away:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80fro2kzcnbdbca/Noise%202.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vj7rg97yxiolpw/Noise.mp4?dl=0

Thoughts?

UPDATE 07/09/16

SEAT have installed the new brake components and I received a call today from SEAT to tell me that the noise is still there and the brake components have not done a thing.

They have now ordered bottom arms for the car.

Last Thursday, they gave me my car back after removing the brakes and greasing them and the car started to pull to the left on lift off, and pull to the right when accelerating. I took the car straight back on Monday (didn't drive it in between then) and told them they've given me a car that feels worse to drive than it ever has and to fix it properly.

To cut a long story short then SEAT don't have a clue and they made my car worse last week.

UPDATE 09/09/2016

I have got the car back from SEAT now and my issues have been resolved. The lower control arm was the culprit.

Unfortunately, however, when checking the car over at the dealership I found a scratch around an inch in length on the rear offside door. The scratch is down to the metal. To SEAT's credit, they did not fob me off. They have offered to touch up the scratch, overfill it, and polish it down so you can't tell there ever was one. Not sure if that will work, but hey ho.

Image of the scratch:

UPDATE 28/12/2016

The noise has returned! It appears as though a lower control arm has broken again.

It happens when I accelerate, brake or go over a bump. Absolutely fuming.

Last edited:

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
I say take it back to Seat and tell them to resolve the problem, your car is under warranty, correct?

Whether or not they can find the problem is irrelevant as a simple test drive in the car will highlight that there is something not correct with the car.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Bloody hell mate I dunno what it is but it sounds serious! Hope you get it sorted.

I know. You really feel it in the cabin as well.

Car is under warranty but I couldn't replicate the issue with the engineer in the car. I've sent them these videos.

yozza1987

Leon Mk3 Fr
Sep 3, 2013
Worcester
Im would get them to check your gear box lower mount when you take it back as it may have worn or cracked and you now have the engine "swinging" hence when you accelerate or break the engine/gear box could be catching the subframe

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
That sounds bloody awful. I don't think that's suspension related, more either mount related or even a driveshaft hitting/catching something as the engine is moving on its mounts.

Chuck it straight back at the dealers!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I'll keep everybody updated. It's done it again today three times. Once when I was just pulling away slowly.

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I would agree there is a lot of force making that noise so would agree with engine or gearbox mounts being loose or broken.

The front of the car seems to lift when the noise happens too.
Have a look, you might also be able to rev the engine stationary to see if there is excessive movement.

Back to dealers either way i'm sure :(

Boj27

Dec 15, 2015
London
What's it sound like in reverse? I had my car go into the dealers for a loud clunking sound and high vibration in the cabin...was the lower gearbox mount bolt that had sheared. It happened in the autocar review of the VW golf R too after 600 miles on their tests. Sounds like it's a common fault tbh. I've a feeling it's because like most mass produced cars these days, most cars built on the same chassis use the same bolts/nuts regardless of power output. So the 1.2 tsi will use the same bolts as a cupra, probably not the best idea but can't blame manufacturers for doing it as RD would cost millions more. Dealer fixed it but as the gearbox had been moving about they decided to replace the whole thing. Don't under warranty in for 2 weeks.

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
I experienced the same behavior multiple times on my 290 DSG. Not sure if it's actually a flaw. Is it?
It happens mostly during strong/rapid acceleration, e.g. kickdown and the road is not smooth. So my (lame) assumption is that the wheel spins and the EDS (or LSD) activates by switching fully to the other wheel?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Car's booked in with SEAT for Wednesday.

My best mate who's a very good mechanic says it's the driveshaft. We tested it by putting the car on full lock, then we reversed, and it went BANG. Then again on opposite lock, and BANG. On opposite lock, the driveshaft is fully extended. He's 85 per cent sure it's that.

Like I said, it's not wheel hop or a normal noise.

Last edited:

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Talked to a number of cupra owners near a racetrack. They told me they have the same behaviour (but only during road irregularities and rapid acceleration) and they consider it normal.
Still, booked with SEAT for next wednesday.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Talked to a number of cupra owners near a racetrack. They told me they have the same behaviour (but only during road irregularities and rapid acceleration) and they consider it normal.
Still, booked with SEAT for next wednesday.

What your problem sounds like is the dreaded wheel hop, not the same as OP. Sounds like the engine is trying to tear itself loose? Out if interest, what tyres do you have on?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.