BANG noise when accelerating VIDEOS

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Oh come on. Wheel hop? It's a mechanical metal on metal sound that happens when I pull away slightly. It also happens when I put the car on full lock and reverse or move forward? Wheel hop my arse! I've had and do get wheel hop, and this isn't it.

SEAT called me today and said that there's play in the brake callipers and they are banging. They've ordered parts to replace the callipers.

I wish people would read what I've put before saying it's wheel hop. It isn't normal what I'm experiencing.

Last edited:

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
What your problem sounds like is the dreaded wheel hop, not the same as OP. Sounds like the engine is trying to tear itself loose? Out if interest, what tyres do you have on?

Yes, it sounds like I went through a really deep pothole, and suspension is hitting limits. Driving force is interrupted for a split second and then it goes again. Sometimes 1 bang, sometimes 2 quickly after each other.
Video of my observation (10m before the bang starting rapid acceleration from approx 30kmh) : h__ps://drive dot google.com/open?id=0ByspTw2LzPFNUUNRbUx1dFdHcEU

Going through the same road with 70kmh stable speed gives a smooth ride, as expected.
Where can I read more about this wheel hop?

@Tyres: wrote about them here: h__p://www dot seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=432634

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Yes, it sounds like I went through a really deep pothole, and suspension is hitting limits. Driving force is interrupted for a split second and then it goes again. Sometimes 1 bang, sometimes 2 quickly after each other.
Video of my observation (10m before the bang starting rapid acceleration from approx 30kmh) : h__ps://drive dot google.com/open?id=0ByspTw2LzPFNUUNRbUx1dFdHcEU

Going through the same road with 70kmh stable speed gives a smooth ride, as expected.
Where can I read more about this wheel hop?

@Tyres: wrote about them here: h__p://www dot seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=432634

Do a search on here, there were a few threads about it iirc. The previous 280, when it was on the oem Bridgestones, was dreadful. Changed to Goodyears and problem virtually disappeared. Not had any issues in current 290 ( on Conti's) .

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Oh come on. Wheel hop? It's a mechanical metal on metal sound that happens when I pull away slightly. It also happens when I put the car on full lock and reverse or move forward? Wheel hop my arse! I've had and do get wheel hop, and this isn't it.

SEAT called me today and said that there's play in the brake callipers and they are banging. They've ordered parts to replace the callipers.

I wish people would read what I've put before saying it's wheel hop. It isn't normal what I'm experiencing.

I think Kazand was talking about notabenem's problem being wheel hop. He quotes him and says it is not the same as the OP (you).

I wish some people would read what is etc etc...

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I think Kazand was talking about notabenem's problem being wheel hop. He quotes him and says it is not the same as the OP (you).

I wish some people would read what is etc etc...

I know what Kazand was saying, I was referring to Notabenem who had "talked to Cupra owners"

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Just to be clear - I do not think Jacupra280's problem is wheel hop. Going on the noise in the video, I suspect something amiss in the driveline. Not convinced by Seat's caliper conclusion but I await to be enlightened. :D
Notabenem's issue I believe is wheel hop. It seems to be difficult to isolate the reason for this. Certainly changing the brand of tyres ( and nothing else) on the 280 improved matters greatly. The only time I have had any sign of wheel hop in the 290 is when accelerating hard and hitting a ridge, such as a bridge joint , then there is a single bang and that is all. around the EVO triangle , a place I have covered in various vehicles, the worst by a long way was the 14 Cupra on Bridgestones. The previous LCR 265 never had an issue iirc on either oem Pirelli's or the subsequent Goodyears. The latest Cupra is equally as good.
Now whether this is just down to different tyres , a change in bush type or alterations in suspension geometry I've no idea. The only other obvious difference is the rims, previous Cupra was on standard rims , latest has the sub 8 rims.
Will be interested to see the progress of the OP's issue.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Just to be clear - I do not think Jacupra280's problem is wheel hop. Going on the noise in the video, I suspect something amiss in the driveline. Not convinced by Seat's caliper conclusion but I await to be enlightened. :D
Notabenem's issue I believe is wheel hop. It seems to be difficult to isolate the reason for this. Certainly changing the brand of tyres ( and nothing else) on the 280 improved matters greatly. The only time I have had any sign of wheel hop in the 290 is when accelerating hard and hitting a ridge, such as a bridge joint , then there is a single bang and that is all. around the EVO triangle , a place I have covered in various vehicles, the worst by a long way was the 14 Cupra on Bridgestones. The previous LCR 265 never had an issue iirc on either oem Pirelli's or the subsequent Goodyears. The latest Cupra is equally as good.
Now whether this is just down to different tyres , a change in bush type or alterations in suspension geometry I've no idea. The only other obvious difference is the rims, previous Cupra was on standard rims , latest has the sub 8 rims.
Will be interested to see the progress of the OP's issue.

Those were my thoughts as well mate. I laughed at the technician (not in a nasty way) when he came to that conclusion. They've ordered parts anyway, will wait and see if that fixes the issue...

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Notabenem's issue I believe is wheel hop..

Since you gave me the proper keyword (wheel hop), I did the search. The most informative was this thread: h__p://www dot seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=418375 and this article h__p://www dot mc2racing.com/tech/20061012a/

I am inclined to believe that what you presume is correct. As mentioned, I haven't encountered a single "BANG" while on the racetrack. Plus, on these Pirellis I can't reproduce it as long as the road is smooth. On good tarmac I hear the wheels squeeking (Launch control, ESC off, not sport), but no bang sound, whatsoever. The only thing that frightens me, is that when it happens, it's sometimes really like metal on metal. Plus the article says it's not really healthy for the car.

Looking forward to change to Pilot Sport 4's (once they start offering the 235/35 version). The 'Torque Arm Insert' (from Neuspeed) may also be an option.
Curious to hear what the engineers from SEAT will tell me, since, as I learned, this is a common problem with MQB FWD suspensions. I gave them the video and suggested to kindly ask the importeur, if it rings any bells for them. As long as my case really is the wheel hop, that is. Will see. Thinking about making one more video from the outside.

Update: watched a couple of videos on Youtube about wheel hop. Based on those, I don't think my case is wheel hop, or if yes, a very different kind of it.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Update

SEAT have installed the new brake components and I received a call today from SEAT to tell me that the noise is still there and the brake components have not done a thing.

They have now ordered bottom arms for the car.

Last Thursday, they gave me my car back after removing the brakes and greasing them and the car started to pull to the left on lift off, and pull to the right when accelerating. I took the car straight back on Monday (didn't drive it in between then) and told them they've given me a car that feels worse to drive than it ever has and to fix it properly.

To cut a long story short then SEAT don't have a clue and they made my car worse last week.

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
To keep the other half of the story also up to date: SEAT over here told me that what happens in my case is 'usual'.
Specifically they explained it as follows:
1. Driver starts accelerating. Wheels move forward, and the engine moves a bit backward (action/reaction)
2. During rapid acceleration the torque is hitting extremes
3. Whenever there is a sudden decrease of grip (e.g. going thorugh the slightests of the bumps) there's nothing countering the engine block's movement backward. Thus it bounces forward
4. As soon as the wheels regain grip, the engine block moves again back, the wheels forward. Given extreme torque the effects are also extreme and silent blocks are indeed exposed to unusual forces making them hitting the limits, hence the metal-on-metal sound, as if hitting a pothole.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
SEAT have installed the new brake components and I received a call today from SEAT to tell me that the noise is still there and the brake components have not done a thing.

Last Thursday, they gave me my car back after removing the brakes and greasing them and the car started to pull to the left on lift off, and pull to the right when accelerating. I took the car straight back on Monday (didn't drive it in between then) and told them they've given me a car that feels worse to drive than it ever has and to fix it properly.

To cut a long story short then SEAT don't have a clue and they made my car worse last week.

That's terrible

Got to love the Dealer philosophy of throwing parts at the car instead of stripping things off, inspecting and identifying the issue.... Just a shame that they often do that when the customer is footing the bill too!

Keep us updated

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
To keep the other half of the story also up to date: SEAT over here told me that what happens in my case is 'usual'.
Specifically they explained it as follows:
1. Driver starts accelerating. Wheels move forward, and the engine moves a bit backward (action/reaction)
2. During rapid acceleration the torque is hitting extremes
3. Whenever there is a sudden decrease of grip (e.g. going thorugh the slightests of the bumps) there's nothing countering the engine block's movement backward. Thus it bounces forward
4. As soon as the wheels regain grip, the engine block moves again back, the wheels forward. Given extreme torque the effects are also extreme and silent blocks are indeed exposed to unusual forces making them hitting the limits, hence the metal-on-metal sound, as if hitting a pothole.

Stop hijacking my thread! :p

But yeah, seriously - It is normal, it's called wheel hop and it happens because the engine rocks back and forth. The engine mounts used on the Cupra are the same they use for the base-spec Leons, i.e. they are not really good enough. You can solve your wheel hop issue with an uprated lower engine mount. Here's a suggestion:

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/volkswagen-racing/volkswagen-racing-lower-engine-mount/

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

Are you surprised? I did doubt it was the brakes making that God awful racket, but I've been wrong before... I still think its something driveshaft/diff/gearbox related. Be interested in what further bits they throw at it...
Just remembered, I had a C5 a while back that started to make a similar bang but only when accelerating hard ( to join an M way for instance) once you backed off it would stop. That was a drive shaft...

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Are you surprised? I did doubt it was the brakes making that God awful racket, but I've been wrong before... I still think its something driveshaft/diff/gearbox related. Be interested in what further bits they throw at it...
Just remembered, I had a C5 a while back that started to make a similar bang but only when accelerating hard ( to join an M way for instance) once you backed off it would stop. That was a drive shaft...

No, I'm not surprised! My friend who's a very good mechanic says it's the driveshaft; I've told SEAT about this second opinion but they're adamant it's not!

Me and my friend came to the conclusion that it's the driveshaft after this test:

We put the car on full lock, and reversed. Then it went BANG. We put it on opposite lock, and reversed. Then it went BANG. Basically, on full lock that's when the driveshaft is fully extended.

I think it's the driveshaft as well.

My SEAT dealers are absolutely useless to be honest. They didn't even apologise for giving me the car back with faulty alignment.

Last edited:

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Stop hijacking my thread! :p
Was not my intention, apologies. When I saw your video, I thought that my problem is something similar to yours because the sounds were so similar. I am happy it wasn't. I put here the explanation for reference only. And thanks for the link, by the way. Not sure if will change it, because of unwanted vibrations. After all I drive mostly in cities. I can cope with a bit less throttle on rough surfaces.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Are you getting this done under warranty after hitting a pothole?

It's being repaired under warranty, but I haven't hit a pothole. What makes you say that?

I think from here - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=432571 - is it the same noise that started after you hit the pothole?

it makes a banging noise under hard braking and the offside front makes a knocking noise driving over rough surfaces. It's with SEAT now.

It must be bloody obvious if you jack the car up though, it'll have to be hitting something to make that noise so there will be evidence of that. With a bright LED torch (not your phone) have a look at the engine mounts and see what you can see around the kilo's of plastic SEAT litter the engine bay with

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I think from here - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=432571 - is it the same noise that started after you hit the pothole?

Ahh yeah, just to clarify, this noise was happening before that. With regards to the other thread, it may not have been a pothole at all. It might have been a branch, because the road I was on has no pothole but there is a branch at the side of the road.

It's not the mounts, SEAT have checked them over. They have ordered lower arms for the car, because they've found play in the passenger side one.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Update

UPDATE 09/09/2016

I have got the car back from SEAT now and my issues have been resolved. The lower control arm was the culprit.

Unfortunately, however, when checking the car over at the dealership I found a scratch around an inch in length on the rear offside door. The scratch is down to the metal. To SEAT's credit, they did not fob me off. They have offered to touch up the scratch, overfill it, and polish it down so you can't tell there ever was one. Not sure if that will work, but hey ho.

Image of the scratch: