be on your guard

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
just be aware north west uk wn7 area 3 scroats trying to get in my house after car by looks of it 2.17 am sat morning left 3 mins later in car they came in,
rin.png
looks like my cameras and yale l1 lock and floodlights did there job

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
I'm just down the road in Atherton and this is why we need more police on patrol. I haven't seen any at all in years and it's simply not good enough. Also, pitiful sentences if by some miracle they ever get caught, do nothing for my state of mind.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I'm just down the road in Atherton and this is why we need more police on patrol. I haven't seen any at all in years and it's simply not good enough. Also, pitiful sentences if by some miracle they ever get caught, do nothing for my state of mind.

It’s unlikely that’ll change in the short term - in the light of coronavirus, the government has said police may need to focus on only the most serious crimes and maintaining public order if the virus spreads. So even though there’s a current recruitment drive for 20,000 extra officers in England and Wales, it’s unlikely we’ll see an an increased focus on car crime crackdown in the short term.

Reactions: Kinetic

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
It’s unlikely that’ll change in the short term - in the light of coronavirus, the government has said police may need to focus on only the most serious crimes and maintaining public order if the virus spreads. So even though there’s a current recruitment drive for 20,000 extra officers in England and Wales, it’s unlikely we’ll see an an increased focus on car crime crackdown in the short term.

Is that you Priti? ;)

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Yeah and they turn up with fire arms instead.

Works well in America doesn't it :bounce:

Below videos are not child friendly (Language wise)
I have 2 shotguns and 3 rifles in my house. As per the law, they are locked in a safe with the amunition locked in a seperate safe.

If someone broke in to my house, it would take me at least 5 - 10 minutes to get to the safe, unlock it, load up a weapon and be ready to repel the home invaders. By which point they have probably got away with my car.

Having a gun in the UK makes no difference to defending against this type of crime, coupled with the fact the types of guns you can have in the UK are useless for "home defence". Not to mention you are likely to land yourself in jail for greivous bodily harm, wreckless endangerment and disporportunate use of force regardless of whether the injured party is a criminal or not.

Whilst I agree that it would be nice to have similar laws in the US regarding tresspassing, widespread firearm ownership would make the situation worse. Once everyone is armed, criminals get more violent, police are less hesitant, more people get injured or die unecessarily. What happens when you shoot someone on your property because you think they are going to steal your car, and it turns out they were just looking for their football. "but they were tresspassing!" and you killed them? Have fun defending that in court.

I have this argument with my friends all the time, one of them is very pro gun ownership, the other is very anti gun ownership. I am in the middle and i think the laws we have are the best of both worlds. The law doesnt stop criminals getting hold of guns, but it goes a long way to making it extremely difficult for them to do so. If the general population had better access to fire arms (in the name of self defence rather than for sport) then criminals also have better access to firearms which defeats the point.

Personally, I think that if someone tresspasses on my property, I should be well within my rights to forcefully remove them from my property. I don't need to shoot them to do that, but I should at least be free from prosecution if I end up using disproportunate force as a rsult of their refusal.

The police response time for my area is more than half a hour. Once had a couple of unsavoury types sniffing around the yard at my mates house looking for tools to steal. He rang the police, and they said they would send someone over. Half an hour later, they were still there and had begun breaking in to one of the sheds. He grabbed his air rifle and started shooting the lights out on their car which had them scrambling to remove themselves from the property once they'd been spotted. The massive security gates, flood lights and bolts on the doors did nothing to stop them, the police turned up 20 minutes after they'd left and their response was: "should have had a bigger gate". Had they known my mate had been shooting at their vehicle, he would probably have faced jail time and still lost his tools.

EDIT:
Didnt make my point clear about why guns un the UK are useless for "home defence".

On a shotgun license you can own a shotgun - that is a smooth bore gun with a barrel length not less than 24 inches and overall length not less than 40 inches, nor a magazine capacity in excess of 2 cartridges. Try swigning a 40 inch pole around in your house and see how effective that is for "room clearance" particularly when you only have two or three shots befor eneeding to reload.

On a firearms license you can get access to much more lethal weapons. However, these are restricted to single shot with the exception of .22 rimfire cartridges which can be semi automatic. You can get shotguns with magazines of up to 12 cartridges, but they still must exceed 40 inches in overall length.

EDIT 2:
Another point I'd like to add is that expanding ammunition is a requirement for big game shooting (deer) and is commonly what is used unless target shooting.
Expanding ammunition is designed to inflict maximum soft tissue damage and was banned for use in international armed conflict under the Hague Convention in 1899. in 2010 this was ammended under the Rome Statute which made use of expanding bullets in non international armed conflict a war crime.

So... if you own a rifle for the purposes of deer stalking or fox hunting, and you shoot a home invader with that rifle and ammunition, you could potentially be prosecuted for a war crime...

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have 2 shotguns and 3 rifles in my house. As per the law, they are locked in a safe with the amunition locked in a seperate safe.

If someone broke in to my house, it would take me at least 5 - 10 minutes to get to the safe, unlock it, load up a weapon and be ready to repel the home invaders. By which point they have probably got away with my car.

Having a gun in the UK makes no difference to defending against this type of crime, coupled with the fact the types of guns you can have in the UK are useless for "home defence". Not to mention you are likely to land yourself in jail for greivous bodily harm, wreckless endangerment and disporportunate use of force regardless of whether the injured party is a criminal or not.

Whilst I agree that it would be nice to have similar laws in the US regarding tresspassing, widespread firearm ownership would make the situation worse. Once everyone is armed, criminals get more violent, police are less hesitant, more people get injured or die unecessarily. What happens when you shoot someone on your property because you think they are going to steal your car, and it turns out they were just looking for their football. "but they were tresspassing!" and you killed them? Have fun defending that in court.

I have this argument with my friends all the time, one of them is very pro gun ownership, the other is very anti gun ownership. I am in the middle and i think the laws we have are the best of both worlds. The law doesnt stop criminals getting hold of guns, but it goes a long way to making it extremely difficult for them to do so. If the general population had better access to fire arms (in the name of self defence rather than for sport) then criminals also have better access to firearms which defeats the point.

Personally, I think that if someone tresspasses on my property, I should be well within my rights to forcefully remove them from my property. I don't need to shoot them to do that, but I should at least be free from prosecution if I end up using disproportunate force as a rsult of their refusal.

The police response time for my area is more than half a hour. Once had a couple of unsavoury types sniffing around the yard at my mates house looking for tools to steal. He rang the police, and they said they would send someone over. Half an hour later, they were still there and had begun breaking in to one of the sheds. He grabbed his air rifle and started shooting the lights out on their car which had them scrambling to remove themselves from the property once they'd been spotted. The massive security gates, flood lights and bolts on the doors did nothing to stop them, the police turned up 20 minutes after they'd left and their response was: "should have had a bigger gate". Had they known my mate had been shooting at their vehicle, he would probably have faced jail time and still lost his tools.

Very well put. I'm way to busy in work to write all that so thanks for doing it for me haha! :)

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Don’t know what force area you live in but in most UK police forces vehicle crime isn’t a priority. Some forces are lucky enough to have road crime teams or similar but most don’t.
Take it from me it’s very frustrating when you do manage to actually get behind a stolen car, have a lengthy pursuit with it, normally resulting in some form of tactical contact/collision. Have to wrestle with a person/persons then do the hours of paperwork just for the person to get a youth rehabilitation order and a small driving ban. We do try tho :)

Reactions: OJ9693

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
Those dimensions got me thinking that just the barrels would be a formidable weapon. Short enough and heavy enough to wield usefully, as well as intimidating when poked through a letter box (maybe not in cartoons).

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
The bottom line is that if you have access to firearms and use them for car/home protection, for just about any reason (except maybe threat to life), you'll end up on the wrong side of the law.

It's all about `proportional force` and sadly, use of firearms tends to exceed that remit.

If you felt that your life (or others with you) was at risk, then you may be able to argue the case.

IF we were able to apply US principles of `home invasion` and UK gun laws, I'd have one of these:

0000878-mag-ar15-223-magazine-1000x631.jpg

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I have a sign for my car, not a deterant but makes me feel better..."If you value your life, stay the fk away from my car!" Luckily if anyone did take it for a joy ride, they'd find the fuel light on within ten minutes lol ! :)

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
Just had a letter from GMP saying no more action will be taken,nobody will visit etc etc so nobody has viewed my cctv footage or Been anywhere near
it’s no wonder scum couldn’t care less no deterrent nothing ,so I hope now if anybody does catch these lowlife they don’t hold back and kick ten tonne of **** out of them .
the police nowadays might as well erect cctv at the top off every street with 24 hour supervision, and if there’s a shortage of coppers fast track every ex military army leavers into the police if they want to off course Coz it’s getting worse out there

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Just had a letter from GMP saying no more action will be taken,nobody will visit etc etc so nobody has viewed my cctv footage or Been anywhere near
it’s no wonder scum couldn’t care less no deterrent nothing ,so I hope now if anybody does catch these lowlife they don’t hold back and kick ten tonne of **** out of them .
the police nowadays might as well erect cctv at the top off every street with 24 hour supervision, and if there’s a shortage of coppers fast track every ex military army leavers into the police if they want to off course Coz it’s getting worse out there

When you go to bed.... wire the door handle to 240v live. They will only come back once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: martin j.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members