Bent steering Rack Control rod.

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
Well last night the snow/ice made me slide into a kerb at low speed & its made my tracking toe out.

After further inspection the Near Side Front control rod is bent.

How much roughly do you think it would cost for the part & labour (1.2 sx).

I hope you can get the control rod on its own, as i don't fancy a new steering rack? :(

How do able is it to fit the control rod myself?

Obviously i'm going to need to get 4 wheel alignment after the work.

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
I'm afraid not, i'm a southerner & even we've got it bad.

A local garage is fixing it tomorrow morning for £65.

bongi69

This happened to me last night too. Came within inches of ramming into a transit van after the car rebounded off the kerb, on a hill. Hit the kerb at less than 10km/h and the left front wheel is toe-ing out by about 10 degrees. Also a nice gouge in the alloy.

I haven't inspected the damage yet, as I dont really want to jack the front up on a snowy driveway, but I'm certain it is the control rod.

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
Exact same thing which happened to me, i drove 30 miles with my wheels Toeing out & my steering wheel turned 90 degrees to compensate.

Bet your track rod is bent.

Cost me £145 in the end to have the lot fixed by a local garage who i know the owner. :D

But 2 hours labour, parts & alignment, i thought it was reasonable.

bongi69

Exact same thing which happened to me, i drove 30 miles with my wheels Toeing out & my steering wheel turned 90 degrees to compensate.

Bet your track rod is bent.

Cost me £145 in the end to have the lot fixed by a local garage who i know the owner. :D

But 2 hours labour, parts & alignment, i thought it was reasonable.

That means its gonna cost me at leat €300 :blink:
Garages and dealers in Ireland like to rip us off [:@]

Mick288

Aug 3, 2009
Lisburn NI
You guys are lucky, i also did the same, only ive buckled a wheel, my tracking rod is now bend at 45%, my con rod is bent, i shredded 2 tyres driving the short mile to the garage to get it repaired.

So far its cost me roughly £400, but upon futher inspection after replacing these parts (minus the wheel) the camber angle is still out massively. the garage recons i need wither a new shock, or a new hub... Waiting for parts untill monday to do abit of engineering by comparison...

Sucks to be me :(

Anyone know the price of a facelift FR alloy?

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
That sucks.

A FR Alloy won't be cheap i'm afraid, looking at £200 just for the rim :blink:

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
Thats exactly what i've told you, a rim is a wheel without a tyre.

Trust me on the price as I only asked a few days ago at the Seat Dealership.

bongi69

That sucks.

A FR Alloy won't be cheap i'm afraid, looking at £200 just for the rim :blink:

Well the repair to the steering is gonna upset my bank manager so I'm gonna have to ride on the spare for a while once the work is done. Luckily my spare is a full sized wheel, not a "biscuit wheel"

The alloy is not bent/buckled, but the chunk missing out of it probably wont be compensated by simply rebalancing the wheel.

I don't know which exact SEAT alloys I have, although the car in my avatar is mine if you can make out the wheels

bongi69

Stealers have quoted me €98 for the track rod and track rod end (can only buy them as a set????), 2 hours labour (bout €100). They'll align it for free.
So about £180.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
Ive got tyres, its just the wheel i need, its buckled and scuffed very badly...

trust me mate, ash is right the lupus alloys (which are the facelift FR) cost £180 per corner excluding tyres) check on eBay if you only need the one, ive seen a fair number of solus ones going on their for about £60-£80

Mick288

Aug 3, 2009
Lisburn NI
how do you bend a con-rod htting a kerb mick?

I couldnt tell you, but thats what the garage said, and they replaced it and showed me the bent one... i hit the kerb with some force, buckled a wheel and my hubs broken too...
Bill right now is around the £700 mark, not including a wheel...

Mick288

Aug 3, 2009
Lisburn NI
I couldnt tell you, but thats what the garage said, and they replaced it and showed me the bent one... i hit the kerb with some force, buckled a wheel and my hubs broken too...
Bill right now is around the £700 mark, not including a wheel...

Well, ive got my car back. £655 the bill came to, and i still need a wheel :(

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
The alloy is not bent/buckled, but the chunk missing out of it probably wont be compensated by simply rebalancing the wheel.

I don't know which exact SEAT alloys I have, although the car in my avatar is mine if you can make out the wheels

Get it refurbished, they will tig weld it to fill the chunk in and you won't be able to tell the difference (depending on the extent of the damage)

bongi69

So it turns out that alot more was wrong with the car. The wishbone, anti roll bar, and subframe were bent.
Stealer didn't think my incident caused this, so came to the conclusion that the car was in an accident before I owned it.
Cue angry solicitors letter to dealer that sold me the car, and a few angry phone calls later, my car is returned, and I get a full refund :D

So now looking for another car, and have seen good deals on Hyundai and the likes.

But no, I found an MK4 thats a few hundred quid more, and even though I've no job I'll sell my kidney to get the MK4:p

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
So it turns out that alot more was wrong with the car. The wishbone, anti roll bar, and subframe were bent.
Stealer didn't think my incident caused this, so came to the conclusion that the car was in an accident before I owned it.
Cue angry solicitors letter to dealer that sold me the car, and a few angry phone calls later, my car is returned, and I get a full refund :D

So now looking for another car, and have seen good deals on Hyundai and the likes.

But no, I found an MK4 thats a few hundred quid more, and even though I've no job I'll sell my kidney to get the MK4:p

not good but at least you got a refund, did you get it from a SEAT dealer??

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise