Best Engine Conversion????

draycottgirlz

Hey guys,

currently looking at replacing the engine in the Arosa, and wondering what's out there? i.e. what the best conversion ? Easiest conversion? Recommended?

thanks

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
There have been quite a few threads regarding this over the years and it seems that no-one has come up with a 100% definate answer. You really need to look into it yourself and consider if its really worth all the effort. Off the top of my head you could potentially fit a lupo GTI or any MK4 polo engine into an Arosa.

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
the reason why it seems that nobody comes up with a definitive answer is because the only swaps that are straight and easy are like for like. even changing to a polo GTi engine requires wiring, ecu , clocks, keys , gearbox, linkages etc etc etc etc etc etc

you will find very little people replying to a thread like this as they come up all the time mate. theres no such thing as a easy change as when you up the engine, the brakes have to be done as well, if you have a 1 litre then that means the hubs need to be changed as well and on goes the list of parts

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
go all out and put twin vr6 engines in it!! youtube w12 lupo and youl see why........................

warren_cox

Back from the dead
VR's whilst not the heaviest of V engines could make the Lupo/Arosa a bit nose heavy?

That said, the slightly more serene power delivery characteristics of the V lump may not have the front wheels lighting up so readily as the 1.8T on boost.

With the short wheelbase being quite skittish and twitchy, any work you do to it should look to keep this considered and managed. I tried doing some basic mods to my 1.6 16v lump in my Lupo GTi and got nowhere, so this isn't an effective engine to mod. I've seen one with a Garrett turbocharger on the 1.6 VVT lump, but have no idea how well it goes.

How about a 1.4TSi 180bhp?!?

Last edited:

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
VR6 - been done,
1.8T - been done
G60 - not been done as far as i know
G40- apparently theres some in the pipework

either way none of them are an "easy" fitting engine. dont get me wrong i wouldnt say no to one but still

as for the phirm, they will make it fit, but aint cheap. theres the Phirm, PSI tuning and a few other places that will do it for you for the right money

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
VR6 - been done,
1.8T - been done
G60 - not been done as far as i know
G40- apparently theres some in the pipework

either way none of them are an "easy" fitting engine. dont get me wrong i wouldnt say no to one but still

Not easy at all :( then you have to work out wether its worth all the hassle and money ?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
GSXR/ZZR/R1/Blade (your choice) (X2 my choice - but optional :p ) in the boot ?

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
VR's whilst not the heaviest of V engines could make the Lupo/Arosa a bit nose heavy?

That said, the slightly more serene power delivery characteristics of the V lump may not have the front wheels lighting up so readily as the 1.8T on boost.

With the short wheelbase being quite skittish and twitchy, any work you do to it should look to keep this considered and managed. I tried doing some basic mods to my 1.6 16v lump in my Lupo GTi and got nowhere, so this isn't an effective engine to mod. I've seen one with a Garrett turbocharger on the 1.6 VVT lump, but have no idea how well it goes.

How about a 1.4TSi 180bhp?!?

not when it has one in the rear and converted to 4wd:D

Lal B3N

Aug 11, 2009
Cumbria
I was quoted 8k for what im having done to mine next year. Thats me drive the arosa to them, then drive it out when they've finished. 1.8t, samco hoses, roll cage, gearbox, lsd, inter cooler, map work, polishing etc etc.

Worth every penny in my opinion.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I was quoted 8k for what im having done to mine next year. Thats me drive the arosa to them, then drive it out when they've finished. 1.8t, samco hoses, roll cage, gearbox, lsd, inter cooler, map work, polishing etc etc.

Worth every penny in my opinion.

might save that one to pass on and quote daily when the proverbial 'what will it cost for a 20vt conversion' thread turns up :)

there was a vid on youtube of a white one converted going flat out :drool:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.