Best Glass Rain Repellent

Andyy

Jan 4, 2015
England
Hello all,

I was just wondering what rain repellent people use on their glass and what they recommend buying. I've heard mixed reviews about rain-x is it a good'n or not? I don't intend spending too much on one.

Thanks in advance :)

vwooks

Aug 26, 2013
I use rain-x. It works for a month or so and then goes off. I'd recommend it.

The only thing I dislike about it is that if you use it on wing mirrors and side windows the water droplets that are so small and close together you cant really see out of them. Very minor gripe really haha.

SamanthaLeCup1

Jun 8, 2015
Ipswich Suffolk
I use rain-x. It works for a month or so and then goes off. I'd recommend it.

The only thing I dislike about it is that if you use it on wing mirrors and side windows the water droplets that are so small and close together you cant really see out of them. Very minor gripe really haha.

Ha ha, exactly what I would moan about, I've used it for a while but very quickly stopped using it on mirrors.
Only one I've used tbh so couldn't recommend any other

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I, too, have found Rain-X to work well on windscreens and rear windows, and I also apply it to the headlamp glass. I've tried both the original rain repellant, after cleaning the glass with the Rain-X cleaner, and the 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner with Rain Repellent. The original is much better, in my opinion, staying good for 6-8 wet weeks and, if you are moving relatively quickly, delaying the need for wipers as the water simply beads up and runs off, driven by the air moving over the car. Its less good in stop-start conditions, but still means you need less wiper movements and the glass cleans very well after a single sweep

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
Gtechniq G1, brilliant stuff, costs a bit but lasts ages. If you require beading at low, town driving speeds then use their G5 stuff, similar performance to Rain-X but IMO it lasts a bit longer (not nearly as long as the G1) and is easier to use.

I've been using Wolfs Nano Glass Sealant (WG-1NT) - It's decent at low speeds when initially put on. I didn't think it lasted very well/long but if you give the window a good scrub during the next wash it revitalises it.

In comparison to my mates car with G1 it's not as good. But I've got about 10x as much product for the same price so it'll last me a couple of years!

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
I've used PIAA Vision for over 10 years and recently picked up some rain x to try from halfrauds as it was on BOGOF and have to say at half the price even when not on offer it works better than I expected. It's easier to apply and remove, clears as good as PIAA but doesn't last quite as long but I can't help be impressed and I will continue to use it over the other.

Silverdream

Jan 22, 2017
Rain x give great results but doesn't last long. I've had Gtechnic G1 on mine for over a year and it's still going strong, making it so easy to clear the ice recently also.

lewischadwick7

Jul 4, 2016
Barnsley
at ths moment i'm using a final sample that i was given before it went for production from HDD called hydrology, before that i couldnt beat angelwax H2GO

Last edited:

Snark

Jan 30, 2017
Rainx on the side windows for me ..... but I gave Aquapel Automotive Rain Repellant a go recently and that seems to work pretty well and last a lot longer.

Its a slightly wierd product, you get a plasic applicator with a single shot glass tube inside. The window needs to be super clean, I used isopropanol as a "final" cleaner to strip off any residue after "normal" cleaning. You snap the tube and wipe rapidly on the window, its seems pretty aggressive as it goes on with a little bit of vapor visible and lots of warning on the packages to keep it off your skin. It needs a fair amount of elbow grease to get a good finish once its on but seems to have a serious bond to the glass.

There is a long term test of Rainx versus Aquapel up on youtube at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGBal94kAs

Cheers, Snark

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.