Best Oil for 2.0 FR

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
My MPG seems to have dropped a little recently- could be the cold weather but was wondering whether the oil could do with topping up. Not added anything to it since I got in (end of October 2014), but it was fully serviced by the Seat dealer I got it from.

So...any recommendations on which oil to get as I'm sure I'll need it at some point.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My MPG seems to have dropped a little recently- could be the cold weather but was wondering whether the oil could do with topping up. Not added anything to it since I got in (end of October 2014), but it was fully serviced by the Seat dealer I got it from.

So...any recommendations on which oil to get as I'm sure I'll need it at some point.

I have been using this - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...gineoils/5w30-engine-oil/?521776091&0&cc5_247

It's VW507 compliant, car runs well on it and it doesn't use a drop in between services.

EDIT - your MPG will have gone to crap cos of the cold start system that holds idle at 1000rpm at startup until the car gets warm

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
You will always get worse MPG in colder weather because the car takes longer to get up to temperature so the initial part of the drive will eat more fuel than in warmer weather.

As for the oil, have you checked the level on the dipstick? Modern engines rarely need topping up but if it's still worth checking from time to time. You don't say which FR it is (diesel or petrol) but the SEAT approved oil is Castrol Edge and it's what they put in at the service.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
I have been using this - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...gineoils/5w30-engine-oil/?521776091&0&cc5_247

It's VW507 compliant, car runs well on it and it doesn't use a drop in between services.

EDIT - your MPG will have gone to crap cos of the cold start system that holds idle at 1000rpm at startup until the car gets warm

ideal thanks

You will always get worse MPG in colder weather because the car takes longer to get up to temperature so the initial part of the drive will eat more fuel than in warmer weather.
As for the oil, have you checked the level on the dipstick? Modern engines rarely need topping up but if it's still worth checking from time to time. You don't say which FR it is (diesel or petrol) but the SEAT approved oil is Castrol Edge and it's what they put in at the service.

The 2.0 only comes as a diesel ;) but yes I should have said. I'll check the oil tomorrow morning when it's light outside- just thought I'd post now while I remembered.

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
The 2.0 only comes as a diesel ;) but yes I should have said. I'll check the oil tomorrow morning when it's light outside- just thought I'd post now while I remembered.

Ah, OK. You'll have to forgive me because I'm from the Leon camp and in the model the 2.0 comes in both TFSI and TDI configuration.

If you decide to stick with Castrol Edge then you need 5W30 for the 2.0 TDI engine.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Modern engines rarely need topping up but if it's still worth checking from time to time. SEAT approved oil is Castrol Edge and it's what they put in at the service.

I'm not so sure all modern engines use less oil than they used to.

Unfortunately my local Seat dealer used to use Castrol, and without fail my Tdi went from max to min in 5k, they switched after so many problems to Shell and at present after 7k its still on max..

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I'm not so sure all modern engines use less oil than they used to.

Unfortunately my local Seat dealer used to use Castrol, and without fail my Tdi went from max to min in 5k, they switched after so many problems to Shell and at present after 7k its still on max..

I've had my 2.0 TDI for over 18 months and in 9k of miles it doesn't appear to have used a single drop of oil (touch wood). The reason I bought some Castrol Edge 5W30 was to top it up because after I bought the car I found it was only just above the halfway mark on the dipstick (I guess that was just SEAT being tight-fisted). I haven't needed to top it up since and it was still on the max mark when I last checked a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Finally got round to checking the oil. Checked it after leaving the car overnight and it was about a 1/3 of the way up the middle inidcator section of the dipstick so could do with adding a little extra.

Seeing as I only want to add a relatively small amount, can anyone recommend a small bottle of decent stuff? Don't really want to shell out on a monster 4ltr + bottle if I don't need to!

EDIT: Any of these ok?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-Mag...d=1420996129&sr=8-13&keywords=diesel+oil+5w30
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shell-Helix...6280&sr=8-2&keywords=diesel+oil+5w30+shell+1l
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobil-ESP-F...d=1420996129&sr=8-15&keywords=diesel+oil+5w30

Last edited:

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Finally got round to checking the oil. Checked it after leaving the car overnight and it was about a 1/3 of the way up the middle inidcator section of the dipstick so could do with adding a little extra.

Seeing as I only want to add a relatively small amount, can anyone recommend a small bottle of decent stuff? Don't really want to shell out on a monster 4ltr + bottle if I don't need to!

EDIT: Any of these ok?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-Mag...d=1420996129&sr=8-13&keywords=diesel+oil+5w30
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shell-Helix...6280&sr=8-2&keywords=diesel+oil+5w30+shell+1l
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobil-ESP-F...d=1420996129&sr=8-15&keywords=diesel+oil+5w30
Think that would be fine mate but a 1L bottle of castrol edge isn't much more money than the magnatec maybe a couple of pounds max.

Last edited:

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
That's what I would put in (and do).

G.P will probably come along soon though and flame me for saying that.

lol ok well I'll give this a whirl. If my oil was a 3rd of the way up the middle part of the dip stick indicator, how much do I need to add to get it up to the higher part? Or is it a case of trial and error and adding a little bit at a time?

Thanks for all help so far

Have you got any pics of your car? It's what I would ideally like to upgrade to at some point, exact colour and spec (apart from the DSG), but finding one with all the extras incl heated seats (which I love in my ibiza), decent mileage and in speed blue is goign to take a while!

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
lol ok well I'll give this a whirl. If my oil was a 3rd of the way up the middle part of the dip stick indicator, how much do I need to add to get it up to the higher part? Or is it a case of trial and error and adding a little bit at a time?

Thanks for all help so far

Have you got any pics of your car? It's what I would ideally like to upgrade to at some point, exact colour and spec (apart from the DSG), but finding one with all the extras incl heated seats (which I love in my ibiza), decent mileage and in speed blue is goign to take a while!

Min to max on the dipstick is 1ltr - you will need around 1/2 ltr to max.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
great, thank you.

On a side note, does anyone know what I need to be able to respond to the for sale threads? I've emailed the admin address but not heard back for a week or so

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK

Probably not much. Mine was pretty much in the same place on the dipstick as yours and it only took about 1/2 litre to top it up athough mine is the TDI but I wouldn't expect that much difference.

If you click on the links in my signature you will get a slideshow. These were the dealer pics of my car before I bought it. I alway swore I would never get an automatic car but I love the DSG and the way it works, and now question if I would ever go back to a manual. Hang on a minute while I just pop off to get my pipe and slippers :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise