Best Oil for 2.0 FR

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Probably not much. Mine was pretty much in the same place on the dipstick as yours and it only took about 1/2 litre to top it up athough mine is the TDI but I wouldn't expect that much difference.

If you click on the links in my signature you will get a slideshow. These were the dealer pics of my car before I bought it. I alway swore I would never get an automatic car but I love the DSG and the way it works, and now question if I would ever go back to a manual. Hang on a minute while I just pop off to get my pipe and slippers :D

Had a look at the pics, literally my perfect leon so let me know if you ever sell!!

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Had a look at the pics, literally my perfect leon so let me know if you ever sell!!

OK :D Mine was an ex-demonstrator so it has all the optional extras that were available including the heated leather seats and a sunroof so some nice additional bonus items. The sunroof isn't everyone's cup of tea but I've found it to be great in the summer (poor man's convertible!) and with the blind open it lets in quite a bit more light making the car feel much more airy inside when you want it to.

The exposure in those pics make the car look a bit washed out. The blue is a much deeper and richer colour than those pictures show which you will know if you've ever seen a speed blue SEAT (or one of the other VAG marques of the same colour) in real life. I got some much better pics that I took myself so I should really get them uploaded somewhere.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Very nice. What did you pay out of interest?

I'll be slaughtered if I get one before we've got a house sorted!

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Very nice. What did you pay out of interest?

I'll be slaughtered if I get one before we've got a house sorted!

The price I paid probably isn't relevant any more because it was over 18 months ago but it was the going rate at the time for a 1 year old car of that spec from a SEAT dealer.

But I agree - it's definitely a wise decision to invest your money in property first than in ever depreciating cars :D

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Yeah I wont be able to afford something a year old, would be looking 3 years old at best I think based on current prices and what I'd like to spend.

VeeFource

Dec 5, 2014
I use Mobil 1 Esp Formula 5w30 in mine as having done a lot of research, Mobil 1 are one of the only few available high street brands that use decent quantities of esters which are the ingredients of oil that really make the difference to a performance engine.

I avoid Castrol having learned of their shameful court battle to use the phrase 'Synthetic Engineering' on their supposedly semi-synthetic oils which really are just mineral oil with the minimal amount of esters they can get away with.

You'll need a 5L bottle and should have a bit left over for a top up at some point before the next service should you need it.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
I use Mobil 1 Esp Formula 5w30 in mine as having done a lot of research, Mobil 1 are one of the only few available high street brands that use decent quantities of esters which are the ingredients of oil that really make the difference to a performance engine.

I avoid Castrol having learned of their shameful court battle to use the phrase 'Synthetic Engineering' on their supposedly semi-synthetic oils which really are just mineral oil with the minimal amount of esters they can get away with.

You'll need a 5L bottle and should have a bit left over for a top up at some point before the next service should you need it.
Mobil 1 ESP is also semi synthetic oil...

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
And if you are still running the DPF - you will need something low ash that complies with VW 507 spec.

Last time I checked - the only oils that were approved to VW 507 were all fully synthetic.

VeeFource

Dec 5, 2014
Mobil 1 ESP is also semi synthetic oil...

It's fully synthetic and conforms to VW 507:

mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1-esp-formula-5w30.aspx#

(I'm still too new on this forum to be able to post working links yet, sorry guys)

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
It's fully synthetic and conforms to VW 507:

mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1-esp-formula-5w30.aspx#

(I'm still too new on this forum to be able to post working links yet, sorry guys)
Just because it carries 507 approval this do not mean is fully synthetic... this oil is not fully synthetic it is semi synthetic with HC base and PAO additives.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
And if you are still running the DPF - you will need something low ash that complies with VW 507 spec.

Last time I checked - the only oils that were approved to VW 507 were all fully synthetic.
Castrol Edge is 504/507 and is not 100% synthetic like most of big brands oils it it called fully synthetic as PAO or EST addition exceeds some % with regards to HC base volume.

VeeFource

Dec 5, 2014
Just because it carries 507 approval this do not mean is fully synthetic... this oil is not fully synthetic it is semi synthetic with HC base and PAO additives.

The Mobil 1 says Fully Synthetic on the bottle whereas the Castrol just says Synthetic Engineering. Castrol are just playing a marketing game, but surely Mobil can't say Fully Synthetic unless it actually is?

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
But is not ...

Which is my point. So Mobil 1 (or any other oil) having "Fully Synthetic" on the side doesn't necessarily mean the oil inside is actually fully synthetic by most people's expectations.

I guess the actual definition of fully synthetic is woolly enough that it still allows them to legally put it on the side of the can.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Which is my point. So Mobil 1 (or any other oil) having "Fully Synthetic" on the side doesn't necessarily mean the oil inside is actually fully synthetic by most people's expectations.

I guess the actual definition of fully synthetic is woolly enough that it still allows them to legally put it on the side of the can.
Yeah few oil companies went throug long legal battles to still be able to use "fully synthetic" on their packing even when those oils are semi synthetic.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members