Best option for Leon FR CR. Remap or chip?

TheStaffmeister

Brilliant!!! I'll call you in a week or two and arrange to pop down and get it sorted. I'm guessing you need the engine to have at least 1000 miles on the clock before you remap it?

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
What's it like?

Do you suffer any torque steer or any other negatives from it. My car finally arrives on 1st March so will be looking to have it done very soon. :D

You feel a bit the power in the lower gears on the steering wheel at full trottle, but thats always a problem when going over 200bhp together with front wheel drive and no sper diff. :think:

Futher the acceleration is very linear thru the revs, no big push like the PD engine, but steady acceleration thru the revs up to 4500rpm. Still pretty fast do.

I have 31k km's on the clock without any problems, don't notice the regeneration process engine/power wise, did notice a strange smell for 2 times, i guess thats the regeneration process of the exhaust diesel filter [B)]

I will go on a dyno the second time this saturday to check if a lose any power due to dirt on the diesel injectors.

I will post a 0-200km/h movie asap if we have a dry sundaymorning.

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
Finally a reasonably dry day and some space on the highway :rolleyes:

The results are not so bad, i think..., 0-200km/h in 27,2 seconds, 100-160km/h in 8,0 seconds (flying start) and 60-170km/h in 14,7 seconds (flying start) :whistle:

0-200km/h...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atMlXzIairA

0-160km/h...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_7UAN_sC8w

60-170km/h...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCPd0J9yu78

Also i had the Lancer EVO9 for a week from my brother...., of course I could not resist... :drive1:

0-200km/h...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv5vEOXUKmU

:p:p

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
Herewith a dynorun of the FR CR TDI with chip...

2d0f4lg.jpg

Last edited:

TheStaffmeister

Right. I thought it only fair I write an update after visiting P-Torque.

Got there and met Will who is a top bloke, really friendly and clearly knows his stuff.

He test my new FR CR and it was producing a massive 186.5bhp already and 273.4 lb/ft of torque. (Must have dropped lucky with that one in the factory.)

After the map had been added it was producing a very nice 206.2bhp (which he said should increase a little when the engine has loosened and the map has had time to adjust to my driving style) and a Earth spinning 337.1 lb/ft of torque.

I've let the engine settle and can say that the pull at 2000rpm in massive. The car can be placid in all gears but when you need it, just plant your foot and it's in hyper drive.

A real big thank you to Will at P-Torque and a company I would highly recommend.

Jonezyfr

Sep 27, 2008
what was the weather like when you picked it up, when i picked mine up it was wet, greasy etc and couldnt appreiciate it for about 2 weeks due to the weather.

still puts a smile on my face 16 months later.

TheStaffmeister

Nice and dry thank god otherwise I'd have been in a hedge :)

Jonezyfr

Sep 27, 2008
as said, it wat wet and i had my talon triangle ditchfinders on, how the car is still intact i have no idea

javorb

oh and to add, don't use a tuning box...

a) we have tested these and they don't improve power anywhere near a good remap

b) they are not recommended with DPF equipped vehicles due to clogging..

a) what units did you test ?

b) who says tuning units are not recommended with dpf ?

c) i can supply tuning units from that can increase your hp/torque by 35% ,digital tuning units are nothing like the 'old analogue units' ,with good digital units you can adjust the power curves/ settings via your own laptop

d) not saying anything about your remaps but not all remaps are good and what long term effect does bigger gains do to engines /brakes/clutches ?

e) a good digital unit is an option nowadays it also has a resale value

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
a) what units did you test ?

b) who says tuning units are not recommended with dpf ?

c) i can supply tuning units from that can increase your hp/torque by 35% ,digital tuning units are nothing like the 'old analogue units' ,with good digital units you can adjust the power curves/ settings via your own laptop

d) not saying anything about your remaps but not all remaps are good and what long term effect does bigger gains do to engines /brakes/clutches ?

e) a good digital unit is an option nowadays it also has a resale value

a/b) We (and others) have carried out many tests which show increased clogging of the DPF when fitted with a £500.00 digital tuning box. This was tested on Leon 170PD, BMW 123D and Audi A5 2.7TDI. All showed clogged DPF's after 300 miles of testing.

c) I'm sorry but 35% is not true at all. A Seat Leon 170PD/CR for example produces approx 180hp on the dyno. So by your figures you are saying a tuning box will achieve a +63hp gain??? Making the power approx 243hp?

d) A remap can alter the DPF cycle, the turbo pressure to cleanly burn excess fuel, rather than it being caught in the DPF, and 14 other maps rather than just fuel

javorb

a/b) We (and others) have carried out many tests which show increased clogging of the DPF when fitted with a £500.00 digital tuning box. This was tested on Leon 170PD, BMW 123D and Audi A5 2.7TDI. All showed clogged DPF's after 300 miles of testing.

c) I'm sorry but 35% is not true at all. A Seat Leon 170PD/CR for example produces approx 180hp on the dyno. So by your figures you are saying a tuning box will achieve a +63hp gain??? Making the power approx 243hp?

d) A remap can alter the DPF cycle, the turbo pressure to cleanly burn excess fuel, rather than it being caught in the DPF, and 14 other maps rather than just fuel

i personally would not sell/buy a digital unit for £500 as that is a rip off price
a friend of mine has used a standard digital unit on his 123d bmw for 9000 miles with no probs

the 35% gain is for cr units not pd ,pd digital gains are up to 25%

i have seen plenty of remap cars and bad tuning units belch black smoke from the exhaust which clearly is not burning fuel correctly
i never stated that tuning units were better but they are now a good option if you want good gains without putting excessive strain on your clutch /brakes.

on my last car a honda civic 2.2es i ran an analogue tuning unit and instigated pipercross to make a panel filter for it ,the torque was great the mpg improved and i ran it for 33000 miles with no probs,front tyres lated 11500 (bridgestones) 12500 michelins ,the front brake pads lasted 12500 ,then front and rear replaced at 25000,all in all the filter/tuning unit gave good gains

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
i personally would not sell/buy a digital unit for £500 as that is a rip off price
a friend of mine has used a standard digital unit on his 123d bmw for 9000 miles with no probs

the 35% gain is for cr units not pd ,pd digital gains are up to 25%

i have seen plenty of remap cars and bad tuning units belch black smoke from the exhaust which clearly is not burning fuel correctly
i never stated that tuning units were better but they are now a good option if you want good gains without putting excessive strain on your clutch /brakes.

on my last car a honda civic 2.2es i ran an analogue tuning unit and instigated pipercross to make a panel filter for it ,the torque was great the mpg improved and i ran it for 33000 miles with no probs,front tyres lated 11500 (bridgestones) 12500 michelins ,the front brake pads lasted 12500 ,then front and rear replaced at 25000,all in all the filter/tuning unit gave good gains

Who exactly are you and where can we view your products?

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
All I can say is 25% increase on a 170CR or PD is approx 225hp.

You won't get this :shrug:

170 + (25% of 170) 42.5 = 212.5 bhp :rolleyes:

That is realistic, but 225bhp is not possible without full exhaust and very custom good software (referring to engine, clutch reliability).

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
170 + (25% of 170) 42.5 = 212.5 bhp :rolleyes:

That is realistic, but 225bhp is not possible without full exhaust and very custom good software (referring to engine, clutch reliability).

Thats true, but then the won't gain 25% but less.

javorb

Who exactly are you and where can we view your products?

i have sold tuning units for over 6 years but had a year break due to the poor euro and influx of chinese units my ebay user name is dieseltuningshop,i am in the process of getting my website up again ,i will be the uk supplier for

the leon has listed gains to 200hp/400nm torque ,as i said the gains can be as much as 35% but not with all cars

this is the english web http://www.tboxdiesel.com/index.php?lang=en

Last edited by a moderator:

sione

Whatever you do don't go to PD Tuning as they are cowboys who will take your money & break your car

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.