best way to sell a Mk4?

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
As you will see from my add going up, my beeza is up for sale.

However i have never sold a car of this value or new privately, what is the best way to sell it on, autotrader, ebay or what.

Oh if any offer you know who to sepak to.

Is there any potential to sell back to a dealer, especially as Tdi's are desirable at the moment.

Any hints appreciated.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Dont know the best way. I always thought Autotrader was a good start and on here.

If anyone is conisdering buyin a 130, or even Cupra, you couldnt go far wrong with looking at Ant's! Its lovely! (his car that is.)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think more cars are sold through ebay now than autotrader

All you get from 'trader are cold callers from agencies wanting to tie you to potential buyers for £80

stick it on ebay with an achieveable reserve and it should go.

I'd be suprised if a dealer wants a modified one - they'll just struggle to shift it on to regular punters.

pj2001

Sep 13, 2006
As you will see from my add going up, my beeza is up for sale.

However i have never sold a car of this value or new privately, what is the best way to sell it on, autotrader, ebay or what.

Oh if any offer you know who to sepak to.

Is there any potential to sell back to a dealer, especially as Tdi's are desirable at the moment.

Any hints appreciated.

Looks good mate, any ideas what you're going fof next?

I hope it sells quickly to a good owner!!

PJ.

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
U can call the dealers up... but they don't tend to give you a good price.. depending what your getting you could part ex it..

They'd give ya a similar price....

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
As I seem to chop and change my cars every few months of late I've got lazy over the last few years and tend to use dealers because a) there aren't that many people with around £10k in cash looking to buy privately unless the car is really desireable and b) nobody seems to want to pay the going rate for a car privately any more, again unless it is a particularly desirable model that's hard to get hold of.
In the past when I've had an expensive car to get rid of I've used much the same trick as the traders do and offer to part exchange a cheaper good condition VAG car (which is going to be much more simple to get shot of). It involves a bit more work for you obvously but at least you will have a runabout until you get shot of the p/x'er as well.
I've never sold a car on ebay though, and am not sure of the cost of doing so but it's probably the best medium if you're not in too much of a rush and has the benefit of being able to put shed loads of photos on there which you can't really do on Autotrader. If you've got a particularly unique car in very good condition then the more photos you can display the better. Advertise it with a sensible 'buy it now' price but keep the auction running for as long as possible to give punters plenty of time to view the car and perhaps get rid of their own in the mean time to release the funds to buy yours.
That's my tuppence anyway. :)

I've sold about 8 cars on ebay this year. Costs £6 for the listing and then a final % of the cost it sold for. Typical bill for selling on there is about £26 (I think autotrader is £15). When I sold my car last year I advertised it on ebay, autotrader and the local classified ads. Used to get phone calls everyday off autotrader saying they had buyers lined up etc. Not yet had any problems selling on ebay, even bought a few on there.

Fez boy

Apr 23, 2003
Watford
Visit site
Post on the forums and get it up on piston heads 1st as a modded car and see how it goes ;)

Dealer is a waste of time(or trade in) as you will only get book price :(

If no luck with PH or forums

Get all/most of the mods off and sell them to get some cash back and try and shift it (or trade) as standard.

I have been thinking of selling mine but it's just some much cash to lose it can't do it :whistle:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Looks good mate, any ideas what you're going fof next?

I hope it sells quickly to a good owner!!

PJ.

Thanks for all the comments

Well i will be going for a Punto 1.8 HGT again just to get me around as i had one before, and for 2k you can't get much more of a bargain. I will keep this for a while as its what you call free motoring.

I mean you tell me what other car you can buy that looks nice and sporty, is 5-6 yrs old, has sat nav standard, low 8 high 7's 0-60 with 50k on the clock for £2000, nor can i so thts what i will hve to tool around in

Also am i right in thinking £9500 ono

pj2001

Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for all the comments

Well i will be going for a Punto 1.8 HGT again just to get me around as i had one before, and for 2k you can't get much more of a bargain. I will keep this for a while as its what you call free motoring.

I mean you tell me what other car you can buy that looks nice and sporty, is 5-6 yrs old, has sat nav standard, low 8 high 7's 0-60 with 50k on the clock for £2000, nor can i so thts what i will hve to tool around in

Also am i right in thinking £9500 ono

Fiat's take a lot of stick BUT my bro has had 3 (the latest of which is up for sale '03 1.9 TD Dynamique - low milage! just taxed and MOT'd :) PM me with any questions) and i think they're pretty good AND the HGT is fast, i took one out before i bought the Suzuki and it was nice. Hopefully it'll provide everything you're after mate.

PJ.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Fiat's take a lot of stick BUT my bro has had 3 (the latest of which is up for sale '03 1.9 TD Dynamique - low milage! just taxed and MOT'd :) PM me with any questions) and i think they're pretty good AND the HGT is fast, i took one out before i bought the Suzuki and it was nice. Hopefully it'll provide everything you're after mate.

PJ.

It really is just to be used as a run about, as i said i have owned a Punto HGT before, originally i was gonna look at a 2k Punto GT as i had one of them before as well, however once i looked on autotrader i saw i could have a newer mk2 HGT for the same price as an older mk1 GT, But i had a silver punto GT for 12 months and also a yellow Mk2 HGT for 12 months, i actually preferred the HGT in the end. Nevr had any problems with it at all:D

pj2001

Sep 13, 2006
It really is just to be used as a run about, as i said i have owned a Punto HGT before, originally i was gonna look at a 2k Punto GT as i had one of them before as well, however once i looked on autotrader i saw i could have a newer mk2 HGT for the same price as an older mk1 GT, But i had a silver punto GT for 12 months and also a yellow Mk2 HGT for 12 months, i actually preferred the HGT in the end. Nevr had any problems with it at all:D

the GT's are sweet and sound good.......when running, they're plagued with reliability issues but i think the MK2's took a big step up in build quality.

PJ.

Triple D

Ah well mate, another one bites the dust, :( seems like you have priced it right, think when i sell mine it will be for about £11,500 which i think is a fiar price, Good luck chap.
What about the Ford Racing Puma that you mentioned at santa pod? that not interest you?

cupra clear

Just to add that I've had my cupra in the autotrader for 6 weeks now and have no response at all even though it is probably one of the cheapest around and extremely low milege. has cost me in all £110 to advertise plus recent service and tax so have wasted over £300 quid!!. So to be honest I wouldn't recomend the autotrader route plus you get all the annoying canvassing calls! Dealer offered me £9000 bout 6 weeks ago so looks like thats where its gonna end up. Shame really as it would be a bargain for someone but houses have to come first!!!:cry:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members