Best way to stop alloys getting dirty?

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Depends on what you top dlux with, some products are not good to top with. Same when you have a ceramic coating on your car, you only use shampoos without wax or gloss enhancers.

vectra

Sep 3, 2011
Depends on what you top dlux with, some products are not good to top with. Same when you have a ceramic coating on your car, you only use shampoos without wax or gloss enhancers.

Not entirely correct.
People put a wax over a ceramic coating to enhance the gloss on their paint.
People put ceramic coating on their wheels to help keep the brake dust and dirt off them as much as possible. Along with making them easier to clean.
Putting a wax or other on over the wheel coating will diminish the purpose and ability of the ceramic to a much lower ability as wax attracts dust.

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Yes people put wax on their cars on top of the ceramic coating and get the same effect as you say on the wheels, harder to clean and makes dust stick to the paint. Thats why you stay away from them, unless is a wax made for ceramic coatings.

kevlar

Oct 23, 2018
I have used gyeon rim over the last few years and its a really good product and easy to use, not sure it keeps wheels cleaner, definately makes cleaning them easier

Reactions: vectra

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Never been that impressed by ceramics on wheels. The brake dust and general road grim is quite oily and that seems to stick quite well to ceramics.

Ive got a tub of FK1000P from a few years back when I had a Silver MG ZT. Its great stuff for metallics and is very durable on wheels, it doesnt melt until 260c. It seems to repel water and oily dirt much better than ceramics do.

Reactions: vectra

vectra

Sep 3, 2011
Never been that impressed by ceramics on wheels. The brake dust and general road grim is quite oily and that seems to stick quite well to ceramics.

Ive got a tub of FK1000P from a few years back when I had a Silver MG ZT. Its great stuff for metallics and is very durable on wheels, it doesnt melt until 260c. It seems to repel water and oily dirt much better than ceramics do.

While FK1000P is decent. It would never compete with a decent ceramic treated wheel.

Reactions: KernelOkey

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
While FK1000P is decent. It would never compete with a decent ceramic treated wheel.
Well as I said, I havent been that impressed by Ceramics on wheels, although it might depend on the pad material and general road conditions.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
C5 on a fully prepared wheel surface. Yes, it beads like crazy, for many months, but brake dust and road film still sticks and needs agitation to remove it. With FK1000P I found less remained after pressure washing, although it needed reapplying periodically.

To be fair, the Cupra im getting has the almost all black wheels, so its not such a big deal either way, and I can see that on complicated wheels a single easier application would be better than having to reapply.

Reactions: KernelOkey

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah I can agree on that, but I always clean my wheels with a wheelbrush anyway and the dirt comes off easy with a ceramic coated wheel :) And I dont have to reapply anything until its time for next season (winter tires). Guess its like all things, it comes down to personal preference :)

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Bilt hamber Auto wheels is the best thing ever for wheels though. It cleans up the wheels like nothing else, but it has the usual fallout remover smell, which seems to last days unless you give the car a run afterwards to burn everything off the brakes.

vectra

Sep 3, 2011
I used carpro Dlux on my Passat wheels and it was fantastic.
I am going to use it again OR KKD RevolveX on my Ateca when it arrives.

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
Any half decent sealant will do the trick

Ive just ordered some of this to try https://www.raceglaze.co.uk/race-glaze/raceglaze-nano-alloy-wheel-protector-large/

Now on the Cupra, the issue is the rust that forms on the brake discs after a wash.

As soon as you drive the car after a wash and brake, the rust will be all over your clean alloys

I’m looking at getting some Bilt Hamber atom Mac which you spray on the discs to stop rust forming in the first place. Meant to help a lot.

Also, once a wheel is sealed, you just need to use a decent ph neutral shampoo to clean. Bilt Hamber Auto wheels shouldn’t be used after each wash, it’s quite strong stuff. https://bilt-hamber.freshdesk.com/s...l-remove-alloy-wheel-sealant-or-wax-products-

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.