Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Best wheel cleaner? (Cupra 290)

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by mitchybenny, Oct 19, 2019.

1. mitchybenny

Hi guys.

Just joined the forums. A lot of good info here and knowledgable people so looking for some help.

Anyone know the best wheel cleaner to use on the Cupra wheels? I’ve put an image in so you can see which wheels. Not sure if different stuff would clean different wheels better.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Jay280

Jay280 Active Member

Number 1 tip is only use a ph neutral wheel cleaner as acidic ones will ruin the lacker on the diamond cut surface.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Peller likes this.
  3. Wastedagen

Wastedagen Active Member

Lol, not sure if it's a good or bad thing but I last used plain old oven cleaner foam. Worked a treat.....

4. ray

ray Active Member

I use BH wheel cleaner, dirt runs off beautifully, not completely though so still needs a hand wash. Runs out pretty quickly too though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Big Col

Big Col Active Member

no experience on cupra wheels - but they best budget cleaner IME is the purple wonder wheels stuff.

For best results you need to remove the wheels from the car and give it 2 hits. Leaving to dwell for 5 mins each time.
    Can be found in the supermarkets for 5-6 quid.

now called wonder wheel 'colour active'
    featured in this vid

mitchybenny likes this.
  6. Rowan83

Rowan83 Active Member

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels or Sonax Xtreme Wheel Cleaner.... both very good.

Kirky likes this.
  7. Peller

Peller 2018 Cupra 290 without the copper bits

and turn the plastic wheel nut covers white!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jay280 likes this.
  8. SRGTD

SRGTD Active Member

If your wheels are well protected with a product such as Gtechniq C5, Jetseal 109 or a wax with good durability and you clean your wheels every 1-2 weeks, it shouldn’t really be necessary to use a specific wheel cleaning product; a good quality ph neutral shampoo is all you’ll really need. To ensure maximum durability of any wheel protection product, ensure your wheels are decontaminated first to remove any iron or tar deposits so the protection product you apply thoroughly bonds to the wheel’s surface.

If you must use a wheel cleaner, then as @Jay280 has said, ensure it’s a non-acidic, ph neutral product so as not to damage the lacquer coating on your wheels - something like Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner. I bought some of this in 2011 but rarely ever use it as I protect my wheels regularly and find that normal road dirt and brake dust washes off easily with normal washing.

Jay280 likes this.
  9. Steve J

Steve J Active Member

I used Aliens blood from VP and now Autobrite Britegel. Both really really good but the latter is a wheel cleaner the other is a fallout so I went for that. Not used on a cupra but works really well so thought I'd mention it. I got the autobrite 5L off Amazon for £19.

10. LouG

LouG Active Member

I use a spray on truck wash to loosen grime, then handwash with Meguiars or Turtle Wax Max Power wash. The Turtle wax can be used in higher concentrations too. It'll strip wax easily at the highest strength.

11. mitchybenny

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like the wonder wheels stuff might be worth a go. Looks good value for money for sure!

12. Esseepee

Esseepee Active Member

I use Dragons Breath and buy it from Clean your Car detailing in Huddersfield (online shop too) Stinks to high heaven but does a fantastic job of removing brake dust and grime.

13. Kirky

Kirky Active Member

+1 for Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels

14. Peller

Peller 2018 Cupra 290 without the copper bits

Fairy liquid and loads of elbow grease. Plenty of owners here approve of this. @theoldboy

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

15. S4BiT

S4BiT Active Member

Malco Brake-Off for cleaning your rims/tyres, working well!

16. mitchybenny

Gave this stuff a go just now. Worked a treat! Really really good for the money! Brung the wheels up looking like new! Cheers for the recommendation Col!

17. Big Col

Big Col Active Member

excellent :)

18. Big Col

Big Col Active Member

you need to seal them now.... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. rcwsr

rcwsr Active Member

I have the same wheels as OP, there is some corrosion in every "spoke" on the black surface in the corners. I'll try and get some photos, but any idea how I can get that off? It looks a bit like brake dust but it's very hard and baked on.

I use an EZ detail brush, a mitt, some light citrus degreaser, followed by regular shampoo for the wheels.

20. SRGTD

SRGTD Active Member

If it is corrosion, then no wheel cleaner will remove it; the wheels will need to be refurbished. However, if it’s baked on grime and brake dust that’s giving the appearance of corrosion, then you could try something like Sonax Wheel Cleaner. It gets quite a lot of very good positive feedback, although I’ve never used it myself so can’t vouch for its effectiveness.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sonax-wheel-cleaner-plus-full-effect-500ml

Using discount code DW05 on the Clean Your Car website will give you a 5% discount off the price.

Assuming it’s not corrosion, once you’ve removed the grime / baked on brake dust and got the wheels clean, I’d recommend applying a couple of coats of wheel sealant or wax to protect them, which will make removal of dirt and brake dust much easier in future if you wash the wheels every couple of weeks (or more frequently). Reapply the sealant / wax every 3 months or so to top up the protection.

rcwsr likes this.