Big Turbo - Cost and Reliability

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
How much more expensive is it to run a Big turbo car over a standard equivelent?

In the ideal world where the conversion has been carried out to a high standard, on a 50k ish mile car (ibiza mk4/polo), running a IHI at 320 bhp and 470nm, how likely is it to bend/break rods, valves (or other expensive stuff) if driven resonably for 6-8k per year (no trackdays yet ;) ?

How long before things need to be replaced as a precaution.

(I admit its a bit of a, how long is a piece of string type question, without even knowing the type of string, but any info would be appreciated).

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
summer 2006 and still going strong. (up until 6 months ago used daily)

goes without saying that engine condition must be sound.... mine wasnt, had a slight smoking issue i blamed on the k03s, it was totally livable and not losing oil to any worrying extent.

turned out it was valve stem seals and IHI made it worse, needed a head rebuild.

as long as the cars sound and the conversion is done correctly it should be fine.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Just the kind of answer I was looking for ;)

Will hopefully be swapping the derv monster, for a slightly more fettled petrol equivelent.

Are you still running standard internals?

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Hopefully buying a pre modified one. I'm going to make an offer tonight.
How much torque do you run?

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
so discreet nobody sees it :clap:

Dift. mines an IHI VF23 , wont go any higher than 320. slightly quicker spool up than the VF34.. but not so powerful. most IHI`s out there will be 34`s i`d guess

:doh:

In my defence I was using my iPhone (not that it makes a difference :( )

The car I'm looking at is a VF34, hopefully a deal will be done tonight, ready for me to pick up in a few weeks. "hopefully"

I guess for track work I'm looking at getting the internals done, and a baffled sump?

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Personally i'd go 16G6 or 18G as there rebuildable and imo a stronger turbo than a ihi.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Personally i'd go 16G6 or 18G as there rebuildable and imo a stronger turbo than a ihi.

The car I'm looking at has an IHI fitted already :(
So possibly best to buy a new turbo and internals when I can no longer ignore the temptation of getting back into trackdays?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
The main extra costs with a BT car come when you drive them hard. If you just potter about in it then it will be good on fuel and you wont be straining anything but it should still have an oil change more often than the usual 12k miles. Once you start driving it abit more spirited then you obviously use more fuel, tyres wear alot quicker, brakes wear more quickly etc etc. Thing like brakes and tyres on BT cars need to be high quality and are usually more expensive to replace and thats where the added expense comes in. Its also worth keeping abit of money aside if you can for when/if something goes wrong because something will do as everything wears and BT cars seem to be more highly strung.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
One thing I missed is that when they work which will be most of the time if they are built well and cared for you will love it and it will be worth the extra expense! If you abuse it then you could easily ruin it in a day though so it must be looked after.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
I like to treat all my cars well, which is why I will be a little sad to see my diesel cupra go, its tough changing it for a car of an unknown quality.

I maybe getting ahead of myself, as I've not done the deal yet, but fingers crossed tonight.

But I'm sure the IHI car will be very very well looked after (jabba arent too far away, and AMD is on my way to work).

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
The deal looks promising. Just need to get my private plate on retention, an then were sorted :)

Fingers crossed the power will be enough for a while, I appreciate, it can get very expensive very quickly if you start aiming for big numbers.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.