Big Turbo/Engine Build Help

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Ok, the head is off my car at the moment as i the valve stem oil seals have gone along with some play in the guides. This is/has been sorted.

Now along with this the rest of the engine has been checked and found wear in the bores. Topped up with diesel and left over 2 nights, on both occaisions the diesel drained from the cylinders.

Now, i could rebore and put in standard pistons or throw in some rods and pistons, but can i do this with a rebore and whats the price difference between standard vs. forged parts?

I've seen scat rods and wiseco for just under 450 quid. But which size i would i need? I know its 20mm wrist pin, but what bore size? Mahle for a little more?

Are there any other options to repair the damage?

Also, if i decide to go down the rods/pistons route i'll go for the GTRS eliminator along with a quaife diff and 6 speed quiafe box i have.

Any suggestions and help would be great to decide what to do, as i'm still not sure i want to go for it yet if it needs doing.

Thanks.

Phil.

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
How many miles have you covered??

20 valve units are usually pretty good for big mileage without big bore wear.
Jabba reckon they've seen many with big miles and little bore wear!

I've done over 100k on APR Stage 3.....doesn't use any oil but puffs a bit of blue when it's been left to idle for a long time then sometimes it goes away again...strange. I note there's a bit of oil on the breather system but normal amounts I believe.

Ian

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Its on about 80 odd k, cant think of the exact mileage now but i've done 50+k in 2 years.

Mine was burning oil a lot, like 5 litres per month easily. I put it down to **** oil, i run Castrol GTX 0 40 which pretty much killed my k03 then run low on oil, which i didnt know about which in turn cause this problem i think.

Any ideas on the hardware?

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
You can roughly gauge the wear by the wear ridge at the top of bores. If you can get the old rings off without breaking them you can measure the ring end gaps and compare these with new ones then you can roughly determine the wear in the bores.

The std bore size is 81mm so if you did rebore you would need the next plus oversize normally this would be 81.25mm.

I would also suggest changing the main and big end bearings too again measure the journals to determine size required.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Thanks yumann for that. I think i'll be lookin at the 81.5 or 82mm wiseco pistons then.

I was gonna replace those bits as a matter of course.

Anything else worth doing?

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
All valve guides, valve seals, front and rear crank seals etc just the usual stuff, dont forget renew the new head bolts.

TBH I doubt there will be that much wear to the bores just new rings and a light hone should do the trick.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
All the seals and a new headset has been sorted as i thought originally the valves seals only had gone. There is no play in the guides, but worth changing anyway?

Cheers for the help, really appreciate it.

I;ve sourced rods and pistons from bobqzzi from QEDPower who has given me a nice price on the internals.

Plan is..

ATP GTRS Eliminator with Revo Stage 3
Scat rods
Wiseco pistons
3" ATP inlet
ATP high flow mani
3" downpipe
Innovate wideband A/F gauge setup
quaife 6 speed box and ATB diff
Clutch, undecided so far.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Thanks for the message dave, i'm gutted as well, but at least i got the chance to go for it now.

The internal work is being down by a very repitable company that deals with a lot of rally cars and rebuilds of high powered or expensive cars who i trust to do the work.

Myself anf Jonzy will be doing the turbo work tho and a mate of mine off Club Gti is rebuilding the box an diff for me which i picked up for 300 quid. :D

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
You'll know if the guides need replacing as you will feel the deflection side to side when you push the valve the max deflection is upto 1mm use a dial gauge if in doubt.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
The diff is fine but the box is pretty much toast so i wont be using that.

Got on order, SPEC stage 3 clutch, G60 flywheel (to be lightened) and Scat rods along with an S3 MAF. I wont need a rebore and pistons as the wear is so mimal just new rings will be used.

When i get paid i'll be ordering the rest of the stuff.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.