Big Turbo Time - Possible BorgWarner EFR's ????

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
So im getting to the time in my 2.1 4wd project were i need to start thinking about turbo's & manifolds.

I'm planning to build the manifold myself using sch10 fittings and i thinking of going with a divided inlet - twin scroll design.

I was going to go with a gt3071r or a 3076, the new gtx series turbo's are suppose to be good with better spool up. So im thinking of getting a gtx3076r and mating it with a t3 divided 0.78 housing. The only problem is a wastegate - complicated on a twin scroll.

So i started looking at the new BorgWarner EFR range on turbos, read a little bit on these and they are getting great reviews. Also come with BOV / Boost controllers / Wastegates / internally so they might be quite a neat install.

Gonna look into them at the moment, Any of you guys heard anything or used one ????

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
physically large units, and availability seems to have been an issue.
AET supply them in UK when I spoke with them @ autosports about them.

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
my mate will be trying one of these turbos to his focus rs he is finding it hard to get one the guy who built his motor (ian howells) fitted one to an evo and from what he heard it died at 1bar of boost!!!
im sure he was saying theyre twin scroll with an internal wastegate?

16valver

I have one on my MK1 Golf but the car is not running yet. At least a month to go...

It is a 6758 and there are good pics showing fitment on 20vt but I dont have enough posts on here to post them.

Clearance issues with cam cover and actuator and they are large units but will still get it to work.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Well i've finally ordered one. Went for a EFR7670 Twin Scroll Internally wastegated 0.92a/r version.
Rated upto 650bhp and should spool okay on the 2.1T
I will update once i get my hands on it, gonna be a couple of week wait plus waiting for shipping from the US.

ivo098

Apr 29, 2009
Bulgaria
Anyone seen EFR manifold for transreverse 1.8T yet?
I saw that manifolds for longtitude 1.8T are already available...

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
The smaller frame turbo's use a t3 flange, but you need to be carefull they are physically quite big so if fitting to a ibiza etc room could be an issue.
I'm using a efr 7670 twin scroll internal wastegate Turbo which is a t4 flange, im building the manifold myself so just have to check dimensions when it finally arrives.

Would imagine a standard t3/4 flange manifold may fit ok, but its always an unknown as i'm unaware of anybody whos fitted one yet.
If your serious im sure badger bill will happily make and fit one for you.

ivo098

Apr 29, 2009
Bulgaria
My car is AWD Leon, I don't know how much of a differnce makes the AWD compared to the FWD in the room...
Other thing I saw, smaller ERFs are T25 I think not T3 flange.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
My car is AWD Leon, I don't know how much of a differnce makes the AWD compared to the FWD in the room...
Other thing I saw, smaller ERFs are T25 I think not T3 flange.

I am also building a 4wd Leon so i will let you know how much room you have when i finally get my turbo. Borg Warner are still holding back the release of there internally gated twin scroll turbos - there not estimated until sep - oct.

Oh and yeh your right the smaller turbo's are t25.