Bikerack for Ibiza mk4

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Hi there, had a search on this but no results were found. Shall be looking for a bikerack for my car soon as i dont want to get the inside scruffy, just wondered which racks people have bought and would recommend if any.

Cheers in advance :)

Logan 5

Jun 12, 2009
West Yorkshire
How Do ?

I do a lot of off road mountain biking and read up on this before splashing the cash.

In the end i decided to stick with Seat. I bought the roof bars which cost me £115. Now be warned if you buy Seat roof bars you will find that no ski's etc from Halfords are compatible. Meaning you will have to buy the ski's from Seat but to be honest they are very good. The ski's are made by Mount Blanc and exactly the same as they sell at Halfords etc but they had different fittings and were cheaper.

One Ski cost me £70 from Seat compared with £100 at Halfords but as previously stated the Halford one wouldnt have fitted due to the fat Seat Roof Bars.

Some of my mates have different types of bike carriers for their vehicles and they think mine is the best. One friend who had an Audi A4 put a carrier on the back of his car ( you know covering the lights and reg ) and whilst transporting the bike it rubbed against the paint and damaged it. Same with another friend who had a Clio. Those were universal racks and not bought from their respective dealerships.

Ive used mine for Four years now and never had any bother. The bikes lock onto the ski's and I also use an extra lock to lock the bikes and ski's to the roof rack ( very secure as i have two expensive bikes )

I'll try and upload a pic for you so you can visualise it.

Logan 5

Jun 12, 2009
West Yorkshire
Parking.jpg

Not the greatest picture but Ive had a mare !!!

Well It looks like that didnt work !

I havent a clue how to put pics on here. Anyone care to explain it to me?

Last edited:

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
from what i've read on the forum bike racks that hang on the rear/boot can rip the rear spoiler off. a few people have went down the root of fitting a tow bar and put a carrier on that. search for that.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i have a bosal towbar and a thule rear carrier. the same as josh's above! if you need any info on fitting towbars etc just ask ive done a few now!

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
How much does it end up costing, ie with towbar and bikerack? cheers for info so far

and logan have you got any links or pictures? Not any part numbers by any chance? Id rather the roof bars idea rather than the towbar one i think!

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
How much does it end up costing, ie with towbar and bikerack? cheers for info so far

and logan have you got any links or pictures? Not any part numbers by any chance? Id rather the roof bars idea rather than the towbar one i think!

the towbar was £140 and i fittend it myself and the rack was £180:)

the seat roof bars have been knowen to crease the roof panel on the ibiza so be careful with them

Logan 5

Jun 12, 2009
West Yorkshire
Im going to have a tantrum soon if I cant get this thing to work !!!

Parking.jpg

Not the greatest picture, sorry I've had to use an old one

Right, it works if you click on the link. Let me know when you've seen it, I'll remove the pic after you've seen it.

Cheers

Last edited:

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
if you upload the pic into photobucket then copy the img code into the thread it will show the piccy!

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
that looks ideal! how do they attach as there doesnt appear to be any mounting points on mine? or do they clamp under the top of the door and rear window? How much did it set you back all together? and all available from seat?

thanks so far, everyone has been a great help :)

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
the towbar was £140 and i fittend it myself and the rack was £180:)

the seat roof bars have been knowen to crease the roof panel on the ibiza so be careful with them

As above, I wouldn't recommend the SEAT bars (made by Atera) - I've seen the damage they can do first hand - luckily my father got a replacement car out of it though :)

The Thule bars don't suffer the same problem though (they have a different foot design), so I'd recommend using those if you want roof bars.

They're not the cheapest - especially if you want the aero bars, but they can be adapted to fit other cars when you come to sell the Ibiza.

Logan 5

Jun 12, 2009
West Yorkshire
If you look at your rear windows there are two marked arrows at the top. The rear bar slots inbetween the arrows and you just tighten the roof bar up until it grips your car. This is probably what the above message is about, if you tighten them up too much they will crumple your roof but its clear to see what your doing and they dont need fastening that hard. They are very secure when placed correctly. The front one has an extra attachment, it has a clip that fits inside the door ( small hole in middle ).

Roof Bars cost £115, Bike Ski cost £70. Cheaper than tow bar etc i looked at.

I dont like the ones that go on the boot / rear of the car.

Let me know how you get one

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
awesome, makes sense now :) seen the holes in the front door frames when ive been cleaning the sills etc and ill have a look for the arrows tonight! Cheers for the advice, very helpful!

New tyres need to come first though :( ill carry on spoaching a lift off my mate with my bike haha

Cheers again everyone!

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
If you look at your rear windows there are two marked arrows at the top. The rear bar slots inbetween the arrows and you just tighten the roof bar up until it grips your car. This is probably what the above message is about, if you tighten them up too much they will crumple your roof but its clear to see what your doing and they dont need fastening that hard. They are very secure when placed correctly. The front one has an extra attachment, it has a clip that fits inside the door ( small hole in middle ).

Roof Bars cost £115, Bike Ski cost £70. Cheaper than tow bar etc i looked at.

I dont like the ones that go on the boot / rear of the car.

Let me know how you get one

There is a known fault with the SEAT bar system - my father's old car was the first one (in the UK at least) to suffer from them. This was an 03 5 door model bought brand new with the roof bars. The dealer fitted the bars for him and torqued the bars to the recommended settings. On removing the bars, they were found to have lightly creased the roof at the mounting points.

The car was returned to SEAT UK for evaluation including photos sent to SEAT technical in Spain and my father received a new car FOC. The new car suffered very slight creasing at one corner due to the bars, but no worse than this. My father always slightly undertorqued the fittings after his experience with the first car.

EDIT -

The SEAT accessory site isn't working for the mk4 Ibiza at the moment, but I remember when I was looking for my last IBiza (around a year ago) the roof bars weren't available to buy from SEAT. The local dealer seemed to think they'd be discontinued - most likely due to persistent problems with roof damage.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members