Bilstein B12

rhyslj91

Mar 17, 2013
South Wales
Hi guys, not long bought myself an Ibiza Cupra Mk4 and am looking to lower it just a little bit, Am currently thinking of the Bilstein B12 kit, the kit lower it around 25-30mm and was just wondering if anybody has a picture of their car with this kit on? And also if anyone has got any info good or bad on this kit? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Tuneboy

I have a Bilstein kit on my Ibiza FR. Not sure which one it is B6/B12... It's the one you can adjust in height but NOT in hardness.

My personal opinion after about two years driving it daily is:

It's complete rubbish!!! On flat roads it gives you immens control over the car and a very sporty feel... I think that on a racetrack built for formula one cars it is the best you can get.
But on normal driving roads with holes, bumps, dents etc... I dare to even call it dangerous!

The setting are so wrong with this skit, that every bump breaks your bones, and even worse, makes you lose contact with the road. If you are braking hard and hit a small bump or gap in the road the ABS will start working and your brake distance will increase greatly.

Some roads even seem to have the perfect distance between (small) bumps that makes your car go into some kind of ressonance. If you dont alter your speed at that point your oil pan WILL hit the ground eventually!

Altough I love my car and the way it drives on some roads, i can not advise anyone to buy it because of the terrible way it reacts to the bad roads which you can encounter all across europe.

Just my experience, nothing more, nothing less!

rhyslj91

Mar 17, 2013
South Wales
Thanks for the replies and your opinions, I don't think the kit you have is the B12 although not positive. However either way it is still made by the same company, and despite your opinion being one of the few with a bad experience it is leading me to have second thoughts about his kit. Will keep looking into it before making a final decision, see if anybody else has had similar problems. Thanks guys

Tuneboy

I think mine is the B14, looking at the pictures and specs on their website. So all I am saying is based on experiences with that one!

When I was looking for a suspension kit I did not find any reactions on the combination Bilstein B14 and Ibiza 6L, but I bought it because the reactions in general (on other cars) were positive.

I am sure the quality is great and the will live longer than the car itself. I'm also sure they improve the car on flat circuits. But on my car for everyday use: never again.

Alot of people adviced me to buy a kit that is adjustable in hardness too, but i did not see why that would be neccesary because I believed that the Bilstein engineers are smarter than me. Now I can only follow these people's opinions: get a kit thats height AND hardness adjustable, you WILL pay more but YOU will be the one that decides how your car handles (and how low you can go)...

rhyslj91

Mar 17, 2013
South Wales
Thanks for the help mate, I shall have a look around and see if I can find something with an adjustable dampness on them aswell, all depending on price. Thanks again

Tuneboy

Thanks for the help mate, I shall have a look around and see if I can find something with an adjustable dampness on them aswell, all depending on price. Thanks again

I paid almost 1000 euro's on mine, I think there are many fully adjustable options in that price range. If you search the forum a bit you'll find which ones work good on the Ibiza.

Oh yeah, one thing more: I had some non-adjustable Bilstein dampers (B6?) with Eibach lowering springs on my 1998 Ibiza, that drove great! Firm and predictable without the fear your car would break in two. So it's definatly not the brand Bilstein itself thats the problem, just my kit (B14?) in combination with my car (2006 Ibiza).

Raziel

Oct 24, 2011
Okay, thanks again for all the help, and after a bit more looking into things I think that I am still going to go with the B12 kit

rhyslj91, did you end up fitting the B12 kit? I am interested to know how they feel on city driving, as I am tempted to replace the suspension on my FR TDI. I think the standard suspension is too crashy, and the same time would like to drop it a bit.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
I have bilstein b12 on my car ( b8 dampers and eibach springs) best dosh ive ever spent.
Gone is the nasty crashy poor fr standard ride to a firmer better damped plush ride.
Think posh sporty bmw or merc ride is best way to describe it :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.