Biodiesel.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
According to the BBC, all supermarket fuel in this country now contains 5% Biodiesel and soon most garages will be selling Diesel containing up to 85% Biodiesel.

But, the handbook for my Ibiza Cupra TDI 160 clearly states that I am not to put Biodiesel into my car under any circumstances.:confused:

I am wondering whether that means NO biodiesel at ANY amount or whether current levels are acceptable.

I have asked SEAT UK and also my dealer and am awaiting feedback on this from a number of other sources.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4498934.stm

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Bit out of order then isn't it?

Soon the main forecourts (Total/BR/Shell etc) will be putting this into their conventional diesel - where does that leave TDI's then?

With void warranty's?

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
Not sure .... Like I say ... i think 5% is OK.... but any more is warrenty void. But dont quote me on it.

Although after two or three runs of "pure" diesel, I dont know how they would tell you ran 10% for a tank.... :shrug:

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
I hope so....

Apparently the Biodiesel eats away at components of unmodified diesel engines (rubber seals & aluminium parts) so I suppose running any serious quantities for a long time would be noticeable to a dealer.

If & when I hear anything back from my dealer or SEAT UK then I'll post their comments here - hopefully useful guidance rather than a simple "don't use it!" as before long we may not have a choice....:(

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Yeah....

....I'm sure your fuel filter would thank you for putting unrefined (FOC) rapeseed oil in!;)

How about chip fat?:lol:

Think I'll stick with the premium diesel for now....

Just had a reply from the dealer - they don't have enough experience(!) to answer the query so have directed me to SEAT UK. As I've already asked them too I'll have to hang on another couple of days I suppose.

I'll keep you posted.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Cheers for posting the link to the older thread - only been a member a couple of days so hadn't found that!

Premium diesel seems to be Shell Diesel Extra or the BP Ultimate stuff, car defo runs better on these compared to supermarket diesel.

If I haven't heard anything by end of tomorrow I'll ring them back and poke them with a shitty stick til then spill the beans....;)

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
No Wucking Forries....

There are LOADS of threads about bio-diesel... use the "search" button .... :D

Pretty sure you WONT be able to do it in the 160 though as it's PD, which it a totaly different ball game.

Although I STILL havnt has the balls to put any un-treated oil in mine. Probably will do in the summer though, just to be sure it doesn't solidify in the tank because of the cold.... THAT would be scary.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Yeah, I'm not at all bothered about mixing a bit of veg oil with pump diesel to save cash (if I was bothered about cash I wouldn't have bought a Cupra TDI!) but I am bothered at the prospect of inadvertantly putting diesel containing Biodiesel (RME) into my car. Think I'll stick with Shell/BP/Total for now....;)

BTW, if the supermarkets are putting 5% RME into their pump diesel but only charging 1-2ppl less than the 'proper' forecourts they're ripping us off!

If you do go for adding a bit of the cheap stuff to you car, do it carefully bud....

Cheers.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
SEAT reply.

SEAT UK have just got back to me.

Apparently, supermarket diesel with 5% Biodiesel content is fine in the PD engines, shouldn't be any worries with this.

BUT, they also said that using 100% Biodiesel would be fine AS LONG AS it conforms to the DIN EN 14214 standard....:confused:

They don't recommend using Biodiesel quantities between the two outlined above, if you do - you're on your own....:whistle:

So, that's as clear as mud then, :shrug: , think I'll stick with the 'proper' garage stuff for the foreseeable future!

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Yeah, strange innit?

Wonder if it's deliberately "as clear as mud" to keep us buying the good stuff, it's had that effect on me anyway!

To be fair, the girl who got back to me was only relaying what the technical department had told her - she even warned me it was strange advice before she told me!

So it's either 0-5% or 100% - nothing inbetween so SEAT UK say....

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.