Bit of play in k03s turbo shaft

gregorcupra

Nov 8, 2007
Paisley
I have a slight bit of play in the shaft of my k03s turbo that I am due to fit at the weekend. Its less than 1mm and when I spin it by hand it doesn't touch. However I am able to push it against the inside of the turbo ever so slightly if I push it. Is this normal?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
No its not normal mate.

If I was you I would send it off to CR Turbos and get it reconditioned (and maybe hybrid at the same time).

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Depends on the damage. But by the sounds of you have caught it before there is any real problems and its just the bearings on the way out so prob wonte cost much.

Just give CR Turbos a ring and ask them http://www.crturbos.co.uk/

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
I think it will be fine, very little movement you say, its only touching the side as your pushing it that way... as you think when the turbo spools you have centrifugal force so its never going to touch the sides and with the help of the oil flowing around. i used to have a k03s and had play and that was on my car 10k + and no problem

gregorcupra

Nov 8, 2007
Paisley
I have no idea on the mileage I'm afraid. Yeah when I push it side to side there is less than 1mm, but if I deliberatley push it side to side and spin it it does lightly touch the turbo if you get me?

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
what about cracks on the turbo casing? Hairline ones....ae these fairly commin in 2nd hand ones? Do they make a big difference to the pweformance?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Sounds fine to me. Its an oil bearing, and as theres no oil its goin to have a small amount of play.

Get it fitted then worry. lol.

gregorcupra

Nov 8, 2007
Paisley
Also what could I use to give the turbo a good clean ?

Its sat about a good few months and Id like everything to be nice and clean when its installed?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members