bkc engine gearbox

mikko22

hi all
i wondering if its possible fit in to my altea 1,9tdi pd 77kw bkc engine 5speed manual swap for 6speed manual, which gearbox code will fit in to my car?? somebody told my it can be from touran or golf mk5 , but im not sure. the best for me is know the gearbox code, or if somebody got it and want to sell
thanks for any advice.. Michael

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
5 speed box will not replace a 6 speed box. The clutch size is different so the engine flywheel is different as a result, the driveshafts are different lengths, the final drive ratio is different so your speedo and suchlike will all read incorrect, the economy will be shot to hell as you'll be revving the engine too much for the speed you'll be traveling. And you'll need to fit a 5 speed gear knob.

In short, you don't wanna be fitting a 5 speed box.

You'll need a gearbox with the same code as your original for it to be a straight swap really. After that you'll need to check whether the gear and drive ratios are the same.

Lewwy

L6 WWY
Feb 5, 2012
Bedworth, Warks
I think the OP means that he wants to swap his 5 speed for a 6 speed box? Thats the way I understand what he has written. They didnt fit a 6 speed into the 1.9TDi Altea as far as I am aware? - so dont think he means he would be taking a 6 speed out. Unless anyone can correct me?!

Like you have been told OP - there is a MK5 Golf badged as a Sport that has the 105ps 1.9 TDi engine and a 6 speed box, and also the 1.9TDi Touran had models fitted with 6 speed box. As for whether they would fit easily into the Altea - I am not sure.

Also the MK4 Golfs and Bora's had 1.9TDi engine with 6 speed box (I have one in my Fabia vRS), but I would imagine that ratios etc's would probably not be suitable.

Someone else may have a better idea on that though. :D

Lewwy

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Okay then.

6 speed box will not replace a 5 speed box. The clutch size is different so the engine flywheel is different as a result, the driveshafts are different lengths, the final drive ratio may be different so your speedo and suchlike will all read incorrect, the economy will be shot to hell as you'll either be revving the engine too much for the speed you'll be traveling or you'll be overdriving the gears. And you'll need to fit a 6 speed gear knob.

In short, it's not a direct replacement

You'll need a gearbox with the same code as your original for it to be a straight swap really. After that you'll need to check whether the gear and drive ratios are the same.

Last edited:

Lewwy

L6 WWY
Feb 5, 2012
Bedworth, Warks
Okay then.

6 speed box will not replace a 5 speed box. The clutch size is different so the engine flywheel is different as a result, the driveshafts are different lengths, the final drive ratio may be different so your speedo and suchlike will all read incorrect, the economy will be shot to hell as you'll either be revving the engine too much for the speed you'll be traveling or you'll be overdriving the gears. And you'll need to fit a 6 speed gear knob.

In short, it's not a direct replacement

I agree that it would not be a direct swap over for all the reasons that you have pointed out, different clutch size and possible different flywheel, and of course all of the speedo and other related parts have been set up for the 5 speed gearbox.

I dont necessarily agree the statement ''as you'll either be revving the engine too much for the speed you'll be traveling or you'll be overdriving the gears''
I think that fact that a 6 speed is fitted to a Touran with the 105ps 1.9 TDi engine which is a similar size vehicle, and the Golf Sport MK5 also has the 105ps 1.9 TDi engine and a 6 speed box which again isnt a world away in size/weight that it wouldnt be that bad.

''You'll need a gearbox with the same code as your original for it to be a straight swap really.'' - Well a gearbox with the same code will be the same gearbox - so would be pointless exercise swapping a 5 speed for another 5 speed. You just need to pick the best 6 speed that will mate up to the bellhousing of the 1896cc 105ps TDi engine, and has the best/most usuable ratios in it. So as the OP was advised, the Touran or MK5 Golf Sport 6 speed box would be his best bet as a starting point. Everything is possible if people are prepared to do the work :)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Depends on the reason for needing to change the gearbox. If the original gearbox has blown a cog, and there's a replacement available which is a 6 speed from a BKD engine then he's gonna have problems. If it's just "I fancy throwing a load of money at my car and wasting a couple of days lying on my back trying to make a wrong gearbox fit" then the same problems apply.

But one scenario will end up with a replacement gearbox while the other scenario will end up as "Feck it then, I'll leave things as they are.".

Lewwy

L6 WWY
Feb 5, 2012
Bedworth, Warks
Yeh I agree with what you are saying.
I took his original questioning to be a 'would this work if i tried to fit it?' I assumed as it was to have the fun of a 6 speed in a 1.9TDi.

I have owned a Bora Sport TDi with 6 speed and currently run Fabia vRS again with the 6 speed (which will be soon swapping for Altea Ref Sport 1.9). There are +/- for the 6 speed. Its a nicer box for motorway driving, but everytime I am driving the Mrs's Beetle TDi I always end up going for 6th - which aint there. I think the Beetle works well with 5 speed and other VW's I have driven do.

But ultimately if it was just for the heck of having a 6 speed box, I would say alot of hassle and effort, with little gain really. Just buy a 2litre TDi Altea instead. If he has FUBARed his current box, defo go with the same code box and a nice simple (well if your a VW techy) bolt off/bolt on. ;)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
I had 2 Bora Sports, and I loved 'em. The wife couldn't stop destroying them though so we bought the Altea instead. Sold that last year and back in a VW again now, a Jetta. All had 6 speeds, and it's an excellent box.

Lewwy

L6 WWY
Feb 5, 2012
Bedworth, Warks
I had Bora Sport for 4.5 years, and really wanted Fabia vRS, so had to scratch that itch and finally got a nice '07 plate, then within 6 months the Mrs's was preggo. So we have a 4month old now and are struggling by with '54 Beetle TDi which the Mrs's has had from nearly new and the Fabia.

My Dad has '06 Altea Ref Sport which bought nearly new and is now ready for a change, luckily :D he quite fancies downsizing to a Fabia vRS, so we are going to swap soon when the plates have been changed over.

With the baby I would have been better off with the Bora, and have had a look at a few Jetta's before struck up a deal with my Dad. I think the Jetta is a nice car - so much more car and better equipped than a Golf for similar money - pretty much as the Bora was. Underrated cars.

Anyway I am gonna have to get used to not having the 6 speed box :(

Your Mrs's must be a rally driver to keep busting up them Bora's :D

mikko22

Hi guys, main reason why I want to fit 6speed gearbox is keep the car more economical on motorways , more quiet engine in higher speed , etc . My gearbox is in good condition but I want to fit 6speed. I love the car it's a sport version ( sport reference, kn filter , sport back exhaust box- make lovely sound in high rpm, new software bosh edc 16, 149bhp after all upgrades , nice seats and suspension is great, I dont want sell this car as I spend some money on it(grill, spoiler, new headlights with daylights in, 17inch alloys with nokian tyres, ... Last thing it's gonna be gearbox. So I searching at the moment and I hope I'll find the right one , and I'll sell my one then, ..

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
In that case you wanna be looking for...

A Golf, Jetta, Touran front end with...

Engine code - AVQ, year 2003 - 2004
Engine code - BKC, year 2003 - 2007
Engine code - BRU, year 2004 - 2006
Engine code - BLS, year 2005 -
Engine code - BXE, year 2003 - 2004

And you might find a 6 speed in there with the correct ratios and final drive. If you can get the front end then you'll get driveshafts, gearbox, hub assembly, gear linkage, etc. all of which you'll probably need some parts off.

Edit: Don't forget that the final drive won't be any different to your current gearbox and differential, just that you'll have another gear to play with. 70mph on the motorway might give you 2k revs in 5th gear currently, and on the new set up 70mph will give you 2k revs in 6th gear, but you'll have had to change up through another gear to get there.

Last edited:

mikko22

The 6speed gearbox is in:) the 6speed came out from vw touran 2007. its piece for piece, didnt need to worry about anything, everything was on right place. also i had big issue for long time- the car was juddering in low rpm when accelerate. its gone now. and the guy who bought my 5speed gearbox from me, he fitted on his car and there is no issue,.... hm. i paid for 6speed 400pounds, sold my one for 250 pounds. i had free fitting( friends did it)
The car is run much better with six speed, the engine is more responsive,more economical, and quicker, the 4th gear is quite strong-my felling. with 5 speed i had to keep the car in higher rpm , now my feet on gas just easy ... it pulling very well from low rpm as well, big difference for me and im happy i done it....

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.