Black FR Alloys?

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Probably new centre caps, or you can get 'stickers' to go over the current caps, I've just received mine to put on my 17s when I plasti dip them black ready for spring.

http://bit.ly/OjVYzI

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
Sheffield
I have of the FR550 wheels I painted (Same centre caps)

DSCN2043.jpg

DSCN2044.jpg

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
I've just had my Andromeda wheels powdercoated silver (as apposed to the normal dullish grey). The centres caused an issue however i popped off the metal plate with the Seat 'S' on and handed them in for powercoating along with my wheels (as these parts are metal but the rest of the cap is plastic). It worked well, obviously i then had to stick the metal 'S' plate back on to the rest of the centre cap but that isn't too much of an issue with a good adhesive. This is the route i would recommend, it had worked well for me.

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
I've just had my Andromeda wheels powdercoated silver (as apposed to the normal dullish grey). The centres caused an issue however i popped off the metal plate with the Seat 'S' on and handed them in for powercoating along with my wheels (as these parts are metal but the rest of the cap is plastic). It worked well, obviously i then had to stick the metal 'S' plate back on to the rest of the centre cap but that isn't too much of an issue with a good adhesive. This is the route i would recommend, it had worked well for me.

Yeah see I like the look of the silver "S" would prefer it to have the silver S than everything all black. Thats what you had done right?

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Yeah see I like the look of the silver "S" would prefer it to have the silver S than everything all black. Thats what you had done right?

Yes mate your right, my whole centre is now one shade of Silver - I actually prefer it to the normal cap with Chrome 'S'.

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
Just rang a Paintshop known for good work round here and got quoted £200 all in. Pretty reasonable. Think I might do a build thread :)

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Got any pictures for me?

I'll get some pics today or tomorrow when i get round to washing the car mate. Did you ask the paint shop aboutthe centres? Would be interesting to see how they would tackle painting the centres without covering the Chrome 'S' - Would be a nightmare to mask.

I opt'd for the powdercoat option as apposed to paint as it is alot more durable - My wheels had quite bar stone chips hence the reason for the refurb. I've had great success with powdercoat in the past, it doesn't seem to be effected too much by the harsh Scottish weather conditions which is a win in my book.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
It would be fairly difficult to mask around the 'S' and not have the paint peel off once the masking has been removed. I can imagine it wouldn't last very long, that's why I thought them stickers were quite good because they're black but keep the silver 's' and probably more durable, I haven't put them on yet though!

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
I'll get some pics today or tomorrow when i get round to washing the car mate. Did you ask the paint shop aboutthe centres? Would be interesting to see how they would tackle painting the centres without covering the Chrome 'S' - Would be a nightmare to mask.

I opt'd for the powdercoat option as apposed to paint as it is alot more durable - My wheels had quite bar stone chips hence the reason for the refurb. I've had great success with powdercoat in the past, it doesn't seem to be effected too much by the harsh Scottish weather conditions which is a win in my book.

I only asked if they'd be painted too i didnt specify how picky im going to be, but if they cant do it oh well.
whats the difference from powdercoat to normal spray? Can you only get Mat colours?
Seen these ones and they look pretty amazing

242567_208398265867141_100000909088349_569526_2536287_o.jpg

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
I only asked if they'd be painted too i didnt specify how picky im going to be, but if they cant do it oh well.
whats the difference from powdercoat to normal spray? Can you only get Mat colours?
Seen these ones and they look pretty amazing

242567_208398265867141_100000909088349_569526_2536287_o.jpg

No mate you can get all forms of colour from powercoat, silver, silver metallic, anthracite, gloss black to name a few.

Powdercoat is so much more durable than normal spray, doesnt suffer from stone chips etc. Some claim you cant get as good a finish from powder as you can from spray but my wheels look great with great shine! Ive had anthracite in the past also and they had a great gloss shine! Worth looking in to mate, especially if your after long term effects.

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
No mate you can get all forms of colour from powercoat, silver, silver metallic, anthracite, gloss black to name a few.

Powdercoat is so much more durable than normal spray, doesnt suffer from stone chips etc. Some claim you cant get as good a finish from powder as you can from spray but my wheels look great with great shine! Ive had anthracite in the past also and they had a great gloss shine! Worth looking in to mate, especially if your after long term effects.

Guessing powdercoat will cost a bit more? Look forward to having a nosey at yours :)

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Guessing powdercoat will cost a bit more? Look forward to having a nosey at yours :)

Not really mate, i had 4 wheels fully refurbed (all curb marks removed) for £180 + £40 to get tyres taken off, refitted, balanced etc so £220 all in but theyre like brand new.

But as you say mate you'll get a better idea when i post some pics.

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
Not really mate, i had 4 wheels fully refurbed (all curb marks removed) for £180 + £40 to get tyres taken off, refitted, balanced etc so £220 all in but theyre like brand new.

Wheres these pictures David? :D

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE

look forward to seeing this as im considering the powdercoat route!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.