Black residue and oil pressure lamp - HELP

Piersigee

Hopefully someone can help me, for the last couple of months my oil pressure warning lamp has been flashing on occasionally when I am sitting in traffic. It beeps and flashes 3 times as soon as I hit 1500 revs and then stays on until the rev counter reaches 2000 revs in 2nd or 3rd gear, at which point it disappears.

This only happens on hot days too - which makes me think that it is possibly a faulty oil pressure switch - especially as it is definitely rev dependent??

The oil level is normal, hasn't dropped enough to be topped up for about 6 months. There is however some black residue building up right on the tip of the exhaust - and on rare occasions the engine does sound slightly throaty - although this sound seems to be coming from right under the passenger seat. Does this sound like a real problem?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
How long since the oil and filter were last changed?

I'd trust the sensor until you can prove it's faulty. That means you have low oil pressure at low engine revs. That could be a worn pump, blocked filter or worn bearings. A diagnostic check is in order.

The oil pump on the 1.4 engine sits behind the toothed belt drive pinion, and is driven directly by the crankshaft.

Piersigee

I changed the oil about 6 months ago, I bought the car about 15 months ago and I haven't changed the filter, however I have seen a few other people also reply to similar forum threads stating that it could easily be a block. I'll get right on changing this..

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Blocked filter. Change it right away.

NEVER change oil and not filter. As you've found out, the filter will clog up with waste products, flakes of carbon, metal particles and etc.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise