Blacksmoke Diy Remap for tdi

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The problem is that folk get more power for a small price and think it must be good but more power doesn't mean the map itself is any good. It could be wrecking the injectors, turbo, pistons, you just wouldn't know until the thing was shot.
Always best to go for a custom job by a competent tuner and they don't all charge a huge price these days due to the market being fairly competitive.

Last edited:

Michael9

Although I'm not supposed to say that (not thats not an ad) ...but I had my Jetta TDI OBD optimized by a German company using this so called KWP Tool. They have ridiculous low prices compared to my clueless half Spanish:whistle: VW dealer next door...and even offered me a custom remap according to my wishes and support after the remap ! Now u can guys can :ban: me for my first post.

PS: If u wanna know the contact details of this respective company ask me explicitly. Dont wanna spread something

PPS: 40000miles after the remap no sign of clutch slippage either

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
The problem is that folk get more power for a small price and think it must be good but more power doesn't mean the map itself is any good. It could be wrecking the injectors, turbo, pistons, you just wouldn't know until the thing was shot.
Always best to go for a custom job by a competent tuner and they don't all charge a huge price these days due to the market being fairly competitive.

I know what your saying,tbh have got the chance to try this map for free,i just want to try it to see what its like & worth paying for a revo remap plus i get to meet a member on here

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Looks no different that the Shark SPS etc

Basically they email files, you upload them to the device and then flash you car

You arent actually writing a map or anything your just flashing

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Most of the reviews are wrote my people who have never had a map before so of course they will write a positive review because the car feels faster

Once you get in the know.. and start data logging you might discover the map is crap

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Looks to good to be true but for £45 you can't complain.

Tbh if you're not happy with it you can just go back to your standard map!

I'm going to give it a go with my fr tdi 150 on payday.

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
£45 and it works ok for now then buggers you engine later?? Not wise!

If you can't afford to do it right DONT do it full stop

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Well against what some are advising, I have gone for the pd150 map to 182bhp from Blacksmoke.

I have had previous maps on my cars before so have a little knowledge in this area.

First impressions, good, puts a smile on my face which my pd150 has failed to do for a while! mostly sluggish performance up until this remap.

Map is progressive, doesn't chuck a load of power low down the rev range(which in my opinion is good for the clutch), power is slightly higher up compared with other aggressive maps, which is probably why this has been dubbed "the clutch saving map".

My clutch has held up to the additional torque so far, no signs of slippage apart from my shitty front tyres at the moment. Also bearing in mind my car has done 172,000 miles.

My advice is, don't knock it until you've tried it. Just because its cheap doesn't mean it's no good.

As I said previously, if you don't like the map or are scared it might do something horrible to engine components, just upload your standard map again and save up for the £300+ jobbies.

I'll give you guys an update in a week or so's time.

Cheers

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Well against what some are advising, I have gone for the pd150 map to 182bhp from Blacksmoke.

I have had previous maps on my cars before so have a little knowledge in this area.

First impressions, good, puts a smile on my face which my pd150 has failed to do for a while! mostly sluggish performance up until this remap.

Map is progressive, doesn't chuck a load of power low down the rev range(which in my opinion is good for the clutch), power is slightly higher up compared with other aggressive maps, which is probably why this has been dubbed "the clutch saving map".

My clutch has held up to the additional torque so far, no signs of slippage apart from my shitty front tyres at the moment. Also bearing in mind my car has done 172,000 miles.

My advice is, don't knock it until you've tried it. Just because its cheap doesn't mean it's no good.

As I said previously, if you don't like the map or are scared it might do something horrible to engine components, just upload your standard map again and save up for the £300+ jobbies.

Cheers

Had it RR'd or just made up that figure?

And also have you done logging of the usual things with VCDS? just because it feels good doesnt mean it actually is for the car, best advice is get some logging done to understand whats going on

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne

And also have you done logging of the usual things with VCDS? just because it feels good doesnt mean it actually is for the car, best advice is get some logging done to understand whats going on

I haven't made up any figures 182bhp is the name of the map, that is the rough power output figure.

No RR yet, haven't had a chance to data log yet, "feels good" was a particularly bad way of describing yes but, I know when my car is performing well, I heavily modifed my last tdi so please dont take me for another fool who knows nothing about these engines, I have a scan gauge to monitor a few types of readings, including temp, maf, boost, i know its a basic form of logging yes but it works well for live data read outs.

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch

Cheers

First highlighted bit you have little experience then the next you are giving us a comparison against more aggressive maps??

I think someone's swallowed the sales pitch!

If you feel the pd150 was sluggish before either your comparing it with something it's not or there was something wrong. Mine was quick (for a diesel I may add) but isn't as quick as my LCR and wouldn't of expected it to be.

Don't knock it till you've tried it? People have tried cheap flashes before maybe not this one and also custom ones and all these people gave you the advice and are knocking it cuz they have tried it (again not the black smoke one but the all much of the same)

Good luck though I hope it doesn't do any damage and end up with a queue of told you so's :p

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Well first off I was being modest about my experience, who wants to listen to a know it all!

I've got enough technical knowledge to know whether my injectors are balanced and my turbo is producing correct boost.

The PD150 is sluggish unless you like revving the nuts off of it to get the same power as I had out of my previous car which was a ASV common rail diesel running 167bhp and 275 ft/lbs of torque, that was a quick car throughout the rev range low to top end.

Well obviously a diesel pd150 isn't going to be as quick as an LCR without major modification, bigger injectors, gt2256 turbo etc etc.

Some maybe have tried various DIY flashes but probably been stupid enough to load a map from a fricken DVD off ebay! Doh!!

I've yet to see a bad word about blacksmokes actual maps but have seen people generalising saying all DIY maps are bad just because it hasn't had a bigger company throwing tons of money into it.

Please find me someone that has proof that a blacksmoke map has caused their engine harm and ill shut up for good and remove the map tomorrow!

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
I hope it does work and you have a nice cheap map but I wouldn't trust anyone mapping my car without rolling it first, diagnosing it etc as they could be mapping a car that isn't fit.

My 2p

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland

Pardon my ignorance as I haven't had much experience in this field ad yet. My question is, can data logging be performed with vcds lite and is it just a case of recording boost pressure requested against actual delivered, intake temps etc.. I read someones data log for egr and assumed duty cycle as the percentage of exhaust gas being put back into the intake. Would this be correct? The values were about 4%.

Last edited: