Blue /grey smoke under hard acceleration

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I've got this right. I have a Leon cupra 180 bhp and if I drive it very conservatively ie not on boost for a week or so, mainly round town and then go on the motorway and accelerate hard, o get a puff of blue or grey smoke for about a second and then it clears.

After a mile or so I do it again and it's clear, nothing comes out, so would you think it's just clearing out the exhaust system after driving round like Miss Daisy and I also heard that the turbo bearings weep a bit of oil when not on boost and this collects in the intercooler, booting it, clears it out.

Anyone else have this issue???

Thanks in advance

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Possibly signs of a worn turbo or worn valve stem seals.

Does it puff out abit of blue smoke on first start up after the car has sat for 24 hours???

You probably wouldn't notice this unless you stand behind the car when it is started up. So maybe get some to do it for you. If it does puff out smoke that would indicate valve stem seals are leaking.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
Nothing at all on start up and like I say, I can drive it hard after the initial puff of smoke all day and it's absolutely clear, day afterwards, same, nothing.

Only seems to happen after a week or so of driving round town and stop start journeys.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I agree with what brimfull said. If there is no smoke on startup and overrun, then probably a slight leak from turbo or maybe a very dirty PCV system. The excess oil is probably pooling in the intercooler etc, then it's being drawn through when you get on boost for the first time in a while. If it only happens that rarely then i wouldn't worry too much. Maybe check the PCV system for build up of crap.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.